Day 2 not quite sure what to do....many questions

Options
arykh4778
arykh4778 Posts: 6 Member
Yesterday was my first attempt doing a low carb diet. I did great, under 30carbos but ate close to 1800 calories and went to bed with a headache and woke feeling ill. I am limited as to what to eat to help me get into ketosis. Any suggestions as to what to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner? I need to keep it simple since I don't have a lot of $, don't have time to cook and don't mind eating the same thing every day. Let me know what works for you. **Also can I drink low carb advantage shakes and get into ketosis??

Replies

• AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know about prefab shakes, but probably the biggest part of my diet is eggs. Fried, scrambled, boiled, omelet, quiche, you name it! You can mix in some ham, sausage, bacon, cheese, spinach, onion. Yesterday I made "lo mein" with yam noodles and a couple of eggs scrambled in. And then there's Oopsie Bread with cream cheese... Most of these will only take a couple of minutes to heat up the pan, or you can always nuke them while you're getting dressed.

The first couple of weeks will blow chunks while you get adjusted, but it just gets easier. Good luck!
  • kmusicaliaketo
    Options
    I have a salad each day for lunch, but am able to mix it up a bit using different toppings. I'll have chicken caesar salad (make sure you get the no carb dressing... it's out there!), ham flakes and mayo and cheese, same with tuna, ground beef and thousand island dressing (go easy on this.. hard to find a no carb version) with cheese and onion flakes (tastes like a big mac!) |Really the opportunities for salads are endless!! Good luck :)
  • DylanZRedding
    DylanZRedding Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I keep lots of cans of Allen's french cut green beans. They aren't expensive, have 3g carbs but 3g of fiber in each serving. Easy to heat up w/ some butter and salt. I usually wind up eating the whole can, which isn't bad considering it is only 60 calories and 0 net carbs.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first attempt doing a low carb diet. I did great, under 30carbos but ate close to 1800 calories and went to bed with a headache and woke feeling ill. I am limited as to what to eat to help me get into ketosis. Any suggestions as to what to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner? I need to keep it simple since I don't have a lot of $, don't have time to cook and don't mind eating the same thing every day. Let me know what works for you. **Also can I drink low carb advantage shakes and get into ketosis??

Check out the "acceptable food list" for Atkins induction. Eat up.
  • addictedtobubbles
    Options
    Buy a big bag of chicken breasts and cook them all at once, store in the fridge and grab whenever you need them! I make turkey burgers as well. I jazz my chicken and burgers up with cheese and bacon. Each serving has 0 carbs.
  • LeeSee1027
    LeeSee1027 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the headache is completely normal when you're trying to wean yourself from a high carb diet. You may also feel like you're getting the flu. It is miserable. The good new is it doesn't last more than a few days. Once your body switches over to ketosis you'll start feeling better. For meal ideas check out the Atkins website, they have a food planning section with meal ideas while trying to stay <20 carbs.

The shakes are great meals on the go. For a snack I'll bring slices of turkey luncheon meat and cheese in a baggie. You could have a hard boil egg. There are lots of things you could put on romaine...chicken salad made with mayonaise, tuna salad, chicken breast with caesar dressing, cut up pieces of ham and cheese.

For breakfast: shakes, eggs with bacon or sausage (egg omelette with cheese) topped with a little salsa (make sure there no sugar in it). The other day I have two slices of bacon on sliced tomato and mozarella, it was delicious.

If you're interested I'll friend you so you can see my food diary for ideas. There are a few of us who have gotten together to share low carb food ideas.

Good luck. Hang in there it does get better.
  • fraserwag
    fraserwag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "I have a salad each day for lunch, but am able to mix it up a bit using different toppings. I'll have chicken caesar salad (make sure you get the no carb dressing... it's out there!), ham flakes and mayo and cheese, same with tuna, ground beef and thousand island dressing (go easy on this.. hard to find a no carb version) "

You can make an easy LC blue cheese dressing at home, with equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise, some blue cheese crumbles, salt, pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar.
  • Raosen
    Options
    Can anyone guide me through first day!!! what to eat in lunch and dinner!!! cant make up any diet plans
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can offer what works well for me if you want!

*Breakfast: Try to eat most of your breads and fruit during this time, but make sure you have SOME protein to kick-start your day.
    Example: Cup of Strawberries, Scrambled Egg-Whites / Egg Creations (about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup), throw a little diced onion and/or green onions in it for texture/flavour. Have some low-carb bread (weight-watchers makes a few) or Melba Toast with some light spread. ANYTHING by Walden Farms will be your dear friend, and they make ketchup all the way to fruit spreads.

*Lunch: Focus on your protein, and finish up any fruit/bread you want to eat for the day. Any further snacking is best to stick to veggies. Remember that high quality protein sources, either lean meats or lentils are absolutely necessary, especially if you are attempting Keto on a low-calorie diet.
    Example: A medium-sized Gala apple, 100-150g Chicken Breast, grilled or chopped and stewed with diced tomatoes. Onions, celery, bell peppers to taste...more the merrier, and more vitamin C! (about 250g of veggies). Then, throw in some veggies for a side, like steamed green beans or broccoli. Melt a slice of Kraft Fat-Free cheese on top once you're ready to serve for some added protein and taste.

*Dinner: Again, depending on how much protein you'll be needing (If you work out while on this diet, DEFINITELY have 3 solid meals with protein) you may have to stick to mostly veggies, but this is usually where I get creative. Snack on the rest of your veggies for the day, finish off with non-sugar sweets or treat if you'd like.
    Example: Lean veal or other steak. Broil with a bit of soy-sauce to taste. Walden Farms BBQ sauce if you have it. Onions, peppers, etc again if you like them, if not, try to stick to other greens. A large salad with onion/cucumbers/tomatoes will definitely help here. Go Fat-free and/or Zero-Carb dressing, but *WATCH OUT FOR SODIUM*. A lot of "healthier choice" foods make up for the lack of fatty/rich taste by adding in sodium.

A few tips and hints:
    -FIND WALDEN FARMS stuff. They make EVERY kind of sauce/dip/condiment imaginable, and most have zero carbs, zero cals, and generally LOW sodium.
    -Fat-Free meats that will keep you happy and in Ketosis are many...just do research on them first. For example, some Fat Free hams are acceptable, but others aren't. If you like yourself a ham sammach, this info will help you a lot. :)
    -Keep a few Atkins, Quest, or other protein bars handy for when you get caught with hunger and don't have time to cook/prepare a meal.
    -Water - LOTS of water. 2L minimum.
    -Diet Sodas - Don't overdose on them, but they generally won't add or subtract anything from your diet or keto-ability other than sodium. Coke Zero is my personal friend.
    -Tomato and Diced Tomato contain a LOT of friendly vitamins for your diet. I'm usually not a big fan of them, but I include a quarter or half a cup in every lunch or dinner I make, and it helps keep my Potassium levels up.
    - Fish is great, but be aware some fish oils will kick you out of Keto. Focus on lean white fish and you'll be fine.
    - Sugar Alcohols are common in many Keto-friendly foods, but they DO NOT GUARANTEE your continued success in Ketosis. Example: I tried a certain sugar-free syrup and I went from a perfect high-burn level of Keto to ZERO in about an hour flat. I felt like crap for the next two days as my body tried to get back.

If you'd like to view my meal plans just let me know, I'll be happy to share with you. I stick to a pretty narrow band of food, but I don't eat the same thing every meal. Once you find a good breakfast or lunch that carries you through the day, you'll want to stick to it like glue, especially if it tastes great. :)

Good luck, and trust your head over anything a ketostik says. If you aren't having any headaches, and feel good energy levels, then don't stress yourself out.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options

*Breakfast: Try to eat most of your breads and fruit during this time, but make sure you have SOME protein to kick-start your day.
    Example: Cup of Strawberries, Scrambled Egg-Whites / Egg Creations (about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup), throw a little diced onion and/or green onions in it for texture/flavour. Have some low-carb bread (weight-watchers makes a few) or Melba Toast with some light spread. ANYTHING by Walden Farms will be your dear friend, and they make ketchup all the way to fruit spreads.

*Lunch: Focus on your protein, and finish up any fruit/bread you want to eat for the day. Any further snacking is best to stick to veggies. Remember that high quality protein sources, either lean meats or lentils are absolutely necessary, especially if you are attempting Keto on a low-calorie diet.
    Example: A medium-sized Gala apple, 100-150g Chicken Breast, grilled or chopped and stewed with diced tomatoes. Onions, celery, bell peppers to taste...more the merrier, and more vitamin C! (about 250g of veggies). Then, throw in some veggies for a side, like steamed green beans or broccoli. Melt a slice of Kraft Fat-Free cheese on top once you're ready to serve for some added protein and taste.

*Dinner: Again, depending on how much protein you'll be needing (If you work out while on this diet, DEFINITELY have 3 solid meals with protein) you may have to stick to mostly veggies, but this is usually where I get creative. Snack on the rest of your veggies for the day, finish off with non-sugar sweets or treat if you'd like.
    Example: Lean veal or other steak. Broil with a bit of soy-sauce to taste. Walden Farms BBQ sauce if you have it. Onions, peppers, etc again if you like them, if not, try to stick to other greens. A large salad with onion/cucumbers/tomatoes will definitely help here. Go Fat-free and/or Zero-Carb dressing, but *WATCH OUT FOR SODIUM*. A lot of "healthier choice" foods make up for the lack of fatty/rich taste by adding in sodium.

A few tips and hints:
    -FIND WALDEN FARMS stuff. They make EVERY kind of sauce/dip/condiment imaginable, and most have zero carbs, zero cals, and generally LOW sodium.
    -Fat-Free meats that will keep you happy and in Ketosis are many...just do research on them first. For example, some Fat Free hams are acceptable, but others aren't. If you like yourself a ham sammach, this info will help you a lot. :)
    -Keep a few Atkins, Quest, or other protein bars handy for when you get caught with hunger and don't have time to cook/prepare a meal.
    -Diet Sodas - Don't overdose on them, but they generally won't add or subtract anything from your diet or keto-ability other than sodium. Coke Zero is my personal friend.
    -Tomato and Diced Tomato contain a LOT of friendly vitamins for your diet. I'm usually not a big fan of them, but I include a quarter or half a cup in every lunch or dinner I make, and it helps keep my Potassium levels up.
    - Fish is great, but be aware some fish oils will kick you out of Keto. Focus on lean white fish and you'll be fine.
    - Sugar Alcohols are common in many Keto-friendly foods, but they DO NOT GUARANTEE your continued success in Ketosis. Example: I tried a certain sugar-free syrup and I went from a perfect high-burn level of Keto to ZERO in about an hour flat. I felt like crap for the next two days as my body tried to get back.

If you'd like to view my meal plans just let me know, I'll be happy to share with you. I stick to a pretty narrow band of food, but I don't eat the same thing every meal. Once you find a good breakfast or lunch that carries you through the day, you'll want to stick to it like glue, especially if it tastes great. :)

Good luck, and trust your head over anything a ketostik says. If you aren't having any headaches, and feel good energy levels, then don't stress yourself out.

Just want to start out by saying that Keto is not the only way to go, but I personally feel it is superior to other diets. I don't mean to knock what you are doing .... but it does not seem like Keto at all.

Eating bread and choosing low fat foods is kinda the opposite of the diet. Of course there are some low carb breads out there. But if you want to stick to a ketogenic diet then you should be eating fatty cuts of meat and reducing your carbs to minimal amounts. Get your carbs from veggies. The ratios to follow are ~5% carb, 65% fat & 30% protein. If you choose to have your carbs from "fake" bread you will find that it uses almost all your carbs for the day. If you want to add bread to the diet I suggest making your own with almond meal, flax meal, or oospies bread. Another suggestion is skip egg whites and go for the whole egg, you NEED fat in this diet.

Just my take on the diet :)
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with carrievharman, some real firsthand research is required. Then you have to do a personal assessment to see what works for your body. You may want to start with these two websites: keto.org and www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Good luck!
  • yys83
    yys83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I normally eat hard boiled eggs and 3 of the "heat and serve" original or turkey sausage links; oh, and my cup of Green Mountain Blue Berry coffee with one pack of splenda. I boil my eggs on Sunday night and just keep them refrigerated and grab two in the morning, easy and quick. I keep my lunch simple, 1 to 1/2 cans of tuna in water, 2 cups of raw spinach with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and vinegar salad dressing. I like to eat a hand full of pork rinds as a snack, not a lot of people like them by they have no carbs and 1 oz, about 12-14 pieces, has only 80 calories. I make my own dip with sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder and some home made salsa. I get really hungry in the evening so I eat more protein for dinner. I usually eat a chicken breast, 5 oz or so or two medium chicken thighs, grilled or baked, and top them with home made salsa and cooked onions. For my sides I try to stick to raw, green veggies and about 1/4 of cup of cottage cheese.

Another idea for dinner, whitting on tilapia fillets or any other fish you like. Lay a bed of spinach on a baking dish, lay your fish fillets on top of the spinach. Season your fish and top it with onions, peppers, tomatoes, a few drizzles of olive oil and spread 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese. Throw the dish in the oven until the fish is cooked. Cook as much as you want and you have dinner for the entire week.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options

A few tips and hints:

While this may work for you, this is NOT a keto diet. You would be way over the carbs for ketosis. No wonder your stix won't say you are in ketosis. One medium apple is about 14 net carbs. That with a cup of strawberries is going to put most people over their 5% carb content. That is with out all the other carb laden things you mentioned.

Now that is not to say you are not eating low carb compared to the average person, and that is not to say its not working. But this is a Keto message board, and your advice is not going to help someone specifically looking into a keto diet.

Also low fat meats are typically a bad idea. In a keto diet one wants the majority of their calories to come from fat. The body can use gluconeogenesis to make sugars from protein, so if you aren't burning carbs you want to be burning fats. Low fat meats and veggies will put you too high in carbs and protein. Also fat is one of the things that promotes satiety you dont' want to skimp on it.

You often hear about ketoers adding heavy cream (whipping cream) to their coffee or tea, adding lots of butter to things or cheese. The issue is often to get enough natural healthy fats, not too many. Another issue that is a problem on a typical high carb diet it too much sodium. When you are in ketosis your body handles salt differently. The average ketoer NEEDS more salt in their diet so going low sodium is not recommended unless you have a medical condition.

On Walden Foods.... yes people should try it, people shouldn't go nuts buying it. Its not real food, the reviews are universally horrible. Obviously some people like as they stay in business, but I have to say you are the first person I have heard who says its all good.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ^THIS!

Keto = Eat FAT! :)
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of my menu.

I have a job that requires me to get out of my house really early so I don't have time to cook anything, so in the mornings I usually just have a cheese block from the convenience store. On weekends I scramble up some eggs - just bought some farm fresh ones from a farm in my area and they're delish - and add a tablespoon of heavy cream in them. I scramble them with a tablespoon of tomato salsa and 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper. If you want bacon or ham, go on with your bad self and fry some up! I'm reducing my meat intake so I try to keep my breakfasts meatless.

For lunch I made a chicken salad with canned chicken (you can use fresh if you've got it), mayo with lime juice (an extra carb but yum), celery, and sugar-free sweet relish. I can chow down on that and have a lettuce + cabbage salad on the side with a tablespoon of tomato salsa on top. You can eat this plain but I like to put 1/4 cup of the chicken salad on 1/2 of La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas (6 net carbs for a huge tortilla) and roll it up like a wrap.

Dinners are fun because I like to cook. I like to make enough to have leftovers so I don't have to cook every day. My latest creation is a not-fried chile relleno with a poblano pepper stuffed with ground beef, onion, and cheese with a tomato sauce (make sure you measure the tomato sauce because it can add a lot of carbs if you're not too careful). I have the recipe if you are interested. Linda's Low Carb site also has a bunch of recipes you can play with. On day I don't want to cook I will just eat a Morningstar Farms black bean burger with some cheese on top and a salad. Boca Burgers have fewer carbs but the spicy black bean burgers from Morningstar are tastier. Just keep an eye on your numbers on MFP to see what you can fit in.

Oh, and water water water. If I want something flavorful the Crystal Light sugar free lemonade works, and I confess I also drink Monster Absolutely Zero energy drinks, but mostly I stick to water.

I want to experiment more with veggie dishes this time around.
  • jehaines1
    Options
    In those first few days of starting my Keto i had headach/jittery feeling and just didn't feel well. I would feel like I do when i haven't eaten in a while prior to ever running a keto diet. WHich was probably caused by low blood sugar?

What i did to make the headach/jittery feeling go away was I took about a 1/4tsp-1/2tsp of table sugar and held it in my mouth until it was gone. In a couple of minutes i would feel better. Seemed to work well for me.

Just so you know as long as I stay about 60% fat diet and under 60g carbs I stay in ketosis. I run a CKD though so have 1 cheat day a week.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump