Tai Kwon Do workout routine (1/16/2012)

geoscot
geoscot Posts: 13 Member
Today we focused on cardio, coordination, kicking technique and self-defense.
(total exercise time, 1:00 hr)

In order to keep these posts small, I will include only the routine. Descriptions will be provided separately.

- 6 min cardio warm up - Running

Stretching/Kicking

Practice side kick

• Lunges, front kick (right and left)
• Lunges, knee kick (right and left)
• Lunges, round kick (right and left)

Self Defense

• Opponent drills, right step to avoid right round kick, counter with knee kick
• Opponent drills, left step to avoid left round kick, counter with knee kick
• Opponent drills, block to avoid left jab, counter with left knee kick
• Opponent drills, block to avoid right cross, counter with guillotine MMA takedown.

Jumping Jacks x 30

Pushups x 30

Descriptions:

Check out this link for Taekowndo kick techniques: http://library.thinkquest.org/16082/techniques/kick.html

1. Side kick - While holding hand rail, stand sideways and practice chambering your leg. Left hand on rail, left foot perpendicular to wall, right foot parallel with wall. (lift knee toward chest, height of knee is focus).
Repeat routine for 2 min no kicking yet, just practice chambering leg and putting back on ground. Repeat for left leg by reversing steps.

2. Side kick - While holding hand rail, chamber right leg (above) and extend. Leg should be at minimum above belt line. Return leg to chambered position. Return leg to ground and repeat. Repeat routine for 2 min. This excercise is done slowly, no speed but accuracy, leg height and form is focus. Repeat for left leg by reversing steps.

3. Lunges, stretch kick - While standing, take giant stride forward and lower left front leg to 90 degree bend. Right leg should be flat on the mat at this point. (purpose, streching, agility). Lift your body in this position and extend right leg with front kick as high as you can. I currently can get to chest level, but the black belts can kick well over their head. The routine includes lunging across the Do Jang (gym), so the next step (after right front kick) is to land with right foot in front and bend right leg to 90 degree position. Lift your body and follow through with left front kick. Repeat for 2 minutes.

I will post more, running out of time this am. After I describe excercises, I will just be posting routines.