Older RPGs

Options
adamtall
adamtall Posts: 275 Member
Anyone else a fan of the old classic RPGs that took 40 hours of gameplay before you could even think about going to the big boss? Those are the games i grew up on and Im hoping that some of you older games remeber when RPGs were king of the gaming world instead of shooters.

Anyways whats your favorite RPG that you have played? hardest? longest?

my favorite would have to be Lufia 2 for the SNES followed closely by FF2us/4jap.

The hardest im not sure about ive never really struggled with any RPGs that i can remeber (throw a few names out and i might remember one that gave troubles)

Longest has to be Star Ocean 3 till the end of time i think i played upwards of 200 hours on my file and still never finished it

really wanna get some oldschool convo going here :)

Replies

• OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the SNES. It has by far some of my favorite games. Playstation had some too that were good.
    The Breath of Fire series. Not that latest one, but the first 4. Good times indeed. For PC I loved Planescape: Torment and I still bring out Wizardry 7 from time to time.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    dragon warrior was the first rpg I ever played. my fav would have to be crono trigger :)
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    crono trigger...ahh memories. I have to say it. But I still live in hope for FFVII on the PS3....
  • adamtall
    Options
    loved the breath of fire series i didnt play the 4th one though was it any good?

what did you think of chrono cross i really enjoyed chrono trigger but didnt like chrono cross as much just didnt have the same feel to me
  • 82dB
    Options
    BoF4 was good. Not quite as good as 3 as they changed the battle system a bit but just what you expected from a BoF. Pitty they don't re-release them as much as the FFs are.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    crono trigger...ahh memories. I have to say it. But I still live in hope for FFVII on the PS3....

FFVII holds a special place in my heart ... first time I fell in LOVE with a game's storyline as much as the gameplay ... Sigh. I mean, Zelda, et al, was fun and all, but FFVII was just beautifully written.

Speaking of beautiful, I also remember picking my jaw off the floor after the first cut scene. :laugh: I was like, "this is a VIDEO GAME?!?!"
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    loved the breath of fire series i didnt play the 4th one though was it any good?

what did you think of chrono cross i really enjoyed chrono trigger but didnt like chrono cross as much just didnt have the same feel to me
    The 4th is different, very pastel and old 3D, but I still found it to be fun. Sadly my disc is super scratched and I'm waiting for a local game shop to fix their better buffing machine.

I don't know why they called Chrono Cross that. The games were too far apart, too different. It would have been fine if it stood on its own two feet rather than latching on to Chrono Trigger.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When you say "older RPG" I think of something older than SNES! I'm thinking before gameboy and console gaming. I'm thinking the first computer RPG's/adventure games. Sierra anyone? I still play those games on DOSbox sometimes. Comeon' I'm no that old, am I?
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    When you say "older RPG" I think of something older than SNES! I'm thinking before gameboy and console gaming. I'm thinking the first computer RPG's/adventure games. Sierra anyone? I still play those games on DOSbox sometimes. Comeon' I'm no that old, am I?
    I remember playing a ton of Sierra games, blue floppy disks.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Lufia 2 fan! Every once in a while I'll fire up an emulator and go take a run at the ancient cave. I could literally spend 100 hours there and never get bored. After I beat the cave it started to get a little old though.

I'm also a big fan of Chrono Trigger, FFII and FFIII, and of course Earthbound! The SNES was the system I grew up on, and I was always huge into RPGs.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going back as far as text based adventures on spectrum/c64, then I'd probably go for legend of mana on SNES. Loved, loved, loved that game. Illusion of time, Breath of fire, terranigma etc (was this called something else? i keep getting it mixed up with illusion of time) all good and very similar in style....

*sigh*
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    While I have played many many rpg's I have an unfortunate tendency to not finish them.

But some of my favorites: The Ultima series, Wizardry, Baldur's Gate.

And if you are a D&D fan, I highly recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil, it has to be modded to be playable, but I have not only finished the game, I've played it all the way through 3 times now.
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, Breath of fire, Wild arms legend of legaia, Crono, all the final fantasies! Wild arm's has to be my personal fave though.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    While I have played many many rpg's I have an unfortunate tendency to not finish them.

But some of my favorites: The Ultima series, Wizardry, Baldur's Gate.

And if you are a D&D fan, I highly recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil, it has to be modded to be playable, but I have not only finished the game, I've played it all the way through 3 times now.

Really? I never managed to get far into ToEE, but I loved Baldur's Gate 2, the old hero's of might & magic rpg's (as well as the strategy ones).

Of all the old school ones, planescape torment ranks high on my list of favourites, lovely storyline & excellent setting.

Going further back in time, there were the original bard's tales & I think I had valhalla on the spectrum... not that I ever got very far with it, but I did quite like it. It wasn't as annoying as the hobbit game ("You are in murkwood. You see eyes looking at you. You are dead".... wtf?!?!) oooooh, the memories :happy:
  • 82dB
    Options
    We are all forgetting Diablo!
  • MissJenova
    Options
    FFVII, Star Ocean 2 definitly, even Super Mario RPG. I still haven't beaten the Cave of Trials in SO2 0_o
    Crono Trigger is high on my list to play still. You have to run it back with the oldies every so often!
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    We are all forgetting Diablo!

Yes! I used to go on my brothers saved game, get so far and then quit because I couldn't save over his.
    I remember watching the trailer for it when we got our first pc and being like :o
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Has to be Suikoden 2, then Star Ocean 2 and Grandia!
  • adamtall
    Options
    i forgot about secret of mana i loved that game too. the weapon leveling system was really fun i though ahhh the memories

i was never a fan of earthbound i finished it but i never really liked it too much there was just something to kidish about it (may have been the age i played it when i was thinking i was more grown up thani really was or something too)

2 games that i havent seen on here yet are Legend of Dragoon and Lunar Silver Star Series Complete what did you guys think about those two?
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    i forgot about secret of mana i loved that game too. the weapon leveling system was really fun i though ahhh the memories

i was never a fan of earthbound i finished it but i never really liked it too much there was just something to kidish about it (may have been the age i played it when i was thinking i was more grown up thani really was or something too)

2 games that i havent seen on here yet are Legend of Dragoon and Lunar Silver Star Series Complete what did you guys think about those two?

I don't think I ever finished Legend of Dragoon. Was it just me, or was the spearman in green way harder to chain attacks?