Older RPGs

Options

Replies

• Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I really loved the playstation era jrpgs. My favorite game of all time is still Xenogears.
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's going to be lame and typical but I'm a final fantasy girl. However not that lame crap they're putting out now. I love final fantasy 3 (Kefka was so Awesome), ff 7 (typical), ff10.

But there are so many others dragon quest, chrono trigger, Lufia, secret of mana, xenogears, star ocean...ok I could go on forever so I'll stop :-)

I used to managed a GameStop and would argue for hours about these games.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, you name it, I've probably played it.

I love all of the Tales series, Final Fantasy, some Dragon Quest, Star Ocean series, I've played several of the Mana games ( Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc. I guess you count Secret of Evermore too... ), Breath of Fire, and maybe a few more.

But the longest time I've logged to games? Hmm... That would probably be:

Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Radiata Stories (not old.... but whatever)
    Star Ocean 2: 2nd Story
    Chrono Trigger ( replayed this game so many times )
    Arc the Lad II ( great replayability )
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

And if you are a D&D fan, I highly recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil, it has to be modded to be playable, but I have not only finished the game, I've played it all the way through 3 times now.

Will this play on Windows 7? I bought it when it came out and it was such a buggy piece of crap I gave up. WOuld love to play it though as I found the Temple of Elemental Evil AD&D adventure to be great to DM.

RPG wise, I think my first one was Dungeon Master (I wasnt too good at that one) and the SSI "Pool of Radiance series". Favourite "old school" was the Eye of The Beholder series. Adventure game wise, I loved Sierra's Gabriel Knight series, the Monkey Island Series, some of Infocoms text adventures and Broken Sword.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I loved the old text based games, especially those found on old BBS systems. The first one with graphics I remember playing (and loving) was the Bard's Tale for the 8 bit NES.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i guess im a typical RPG gamer as well i really enjoyed all the FF (havent played 11 or 13 yet and never finished 12 couldnt get into the story for some reason) especially the usual suspects as in 7 10 and 3 but i loved 2 and 8 as well (all US numbers btw) 5 i could take or leave

for the guy who said he played Chrono trigger a ton did you get all the endings? and what did you think of chrono cross, i know some others said it wasnt really a close enough tie to the first one for them but if youve played CT so much id like to hear your oppinion as well :)

i never played any of the text base RPGS but i think i would have enjoyed them because RPGs for me have always been about using your imagination and i love reading fantasy novels (especially the Dragon Lance series)

and last but not least if i go with just time logged on a game for longest game ive played id have to say either Lunar Silver Star Series Complete (as long as you can get past the 12 year old voices its a great game) or Lufia 2 (between playing it about 20 times and the ancient cave i bet ive logged well over 500 game play hours into that game)

I never played Arc the Lad or Xenogears (played a very little bit of Xenosaga and didnt really like it not sure why just didnt) how were they what was the story line, was it the normal save the girl save the world or was it something different. Also did anyone enjoy Dark Cloud?

Sorry if I keep replying before others with new questions and that i just dont want the topic to die i love RPGs
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When you say "older RPG" I think of something older than SNES! I'm thinking before gameboy and console gaming. I'm thinking the first computer RPG's/adventure games. Sierra anyone? I still play those games on DOSbox sometimes. Comeon' I'm no that old, am I?
    I remember playing a ton of Sierra games, blue floppy disks.
    Or when floppy disks were actually FLOPPY! The King's Quest games and Quest for Glory games are still my favorites to this day. Space Quest was pretty awesome too. I've wondered if they could every be adapted for touch-based consoles like the iPhone or iPad?
  • Nerple
    Options
    When you say "older RPG" I think of something older than SNES! I'm thinking before gameboy and console gaming. I'm thinking the first computer RPG's/adventure games. Sierra anyone? I still play those games on DOSbox sometimes. Comeon' I'm no that old, am I?
    Or when floppy disks were actually FLOPPY! The King's Quest games and Quest for Glory games are still my favorites to this day. Space Quest was pretty awesome too. I've wondered if they could every be adapted for touch-based consoles like the iPhone or iPad?

I loved King's Quest! But never owned it, I had to settle to looking forward to computer days at school where we didn't have to learn to type or use some ancient drawing program (Now to draw a circle you have to tell the mouse to draw a line one unit long, then turn one degree and repeat 359 times...) Of course at the time King's Quest was second place to Oregon trail...
  • adamtall
    Options
    ahhhh yes the oregon trail i remeber making so many fun tombstones :) lol the only other floppy game i remeber playing in school was word/number munchers i wish i could find that and go back and school it now lol
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I loved King's Quest! But never owned it, I had to settle to looking forward to computer days at school where we didn't have to learn to type or use some ancient drawing program (Now to draw a circle you have to tell the mouse to draw a line one unit long, then turn one degree and repeat 359 times...) Of course at the time King's Quest was second place to Oregon trail...
    If you ever care to give it a go again. Google AGD Interactive. It's a bunch of gaming and programers who were huge fans, got together, and remade some of the games in VGA graphics that can run on most computers now.
  • Nerple
    Options

If you ever care to give it a go again. Google AGD Interactive. It's a bunch of gaming and programers who were huge fans, got together, and remade some of the games in VGA graphics that can run on most computers now.

I'll be there tonight for sure. I will also have to see if they have Balance of Power. I loved that game, even if more times than not I drove the world into nuclear holocaust.
  • Nerple
    Options
    ahhhh yes the oregon trail i remeber making so many fun tombstones :) lol the only other floppy game i remeber playing in school was word/number munchers i wish i could find that and go back and school it now lol

I remember that one too, 8 year old Nerple ruled at number munchers.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just started playing through Darklands again a little this past weekend. Great classic RPG, pretty steep learning curve, but very rewarding. Definitely recommended, if you don't want to deal with the mess of setting up DosBox yourself, you can grab it for $6 on gog.com and they have an installer that will run it under any OS. I'm running it in Windows 7 64-bit without any issues.
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's going to be lame and typical but I'm a final fantasy girl. However not that lame crap they're putting out now.

In my eyes the last *true* FF was 9.

All down hill after Square Soft and Enix merged.
  • 82dB
    Options
    Oh and on a modern note and for Zelda fans. Try Darkssiders (you'll see what I mean) but even if you ain't. The story, gfx (as I the feel of the world), casting are all spot on.
  • adamtall
    Options
    if i remeber right square enix had merged already for 9 (i could be wrong though) and last great FF game was 10 how can you not like that one it had a wonderful deep story to it :)
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options

And if you are a D&D fan, I highly recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil, it has to be modded to be playable, but I have not only finished the game, I've played it all the way through 3 times now.

Will this play on Windows 7? I bought it when it came out and it was such a buggy piece of crap I gave up. WOuld love to play it though as I found the Temple of Elemental Evil AD&D adventure to be great to DM.

RPG wise, I think my first one was Dungeon Master (I wasnt too good at that one) and the SSI "Pool of Radiance series". Favourite "old school" was the Eye of The Beholder series. Adventure game wise, I loved Sierra's Gabriel Knight series, the Monkey Island Series, some of Infocoms text adventures and Broken Sword.

Yes, you can play it on windows 7, if you like older games like that I highy suggest checking out Good Old Games
    http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

They sell games like those ones very cheap, DRM free, and usually they are tweaked to work on various windows platforms, or have instructions somewhere to explain how to get them running.

If you plan to play ToEE, It is very strongly recommended to got the the circle of eight website and download their modpack.

http://www.co8.org/forum/index.php?s=9b80cb12de361106805e5dfe17f309b8

This adds a lot to the game, and fixes almost all the bugs that were left in by Atari.

Also make sure you look through good old games forums (they have one just for ToEE) and the Co8 forums about installing and updating the game. If you get the GoG version it already comes with the Atari patches installed, you would just need the mod pack.

In fact there is a very thorough installation walkthrough here:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

Even if you are not intersested in ToEE, I recommend Good old games. they have hundreds of older games for sale at a nice price ($5 to $10 for a game), and they are nice and legal.
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if i remeber right square enix had merged already for 9 (i could be wrong though) and last great FF game was 10 how can you not like that one it had a wonderful deep story to it :)

FF10 was pretty awesome. All downhill after that one. Cannot stomach any of the new ones for more than 3 hours.
  • 82dB
    Options

They had. But that was the swan song of square soft.
  • adamtall
    Options
    what about 10 didnt you like? just curious cause ive never heard of anyone not liking it :)