Should I expect to see results?

Options
ElisetheQ
ElisetheQ Posts: 58 Member
So, I've been doing a lot of reading - both on the MFP forums and on other fitness/health websites.

They all say the same thing: Don't focus on the scale, focus on the inches!

I've been using MFP for a little over two months, but really got active on it over the past month. Same for my workout and nutrition, it's been a HUGE improvement compared to before starting MFP, but the last month has really skyrocketed, as far as eating healthy and exercising daily.

Now, my question .... I'm not seeing results. Scale or tape measure! I know, I know, I realize it can take several months before effects really start to show - but I keep thinking surely I should begin to see something?

Here's where my hypo comes in ... I'm still hypo on the thyroid issues. I'm on Levo, but due to my thyroid still dying off (because of radiation) my levels aren't normal, and I'm not sure how long it will take before they begin to normalize. I know hypothyroidism plays a huge role in weight gain, lack of weight loss, and metabolism not working right; so I'm wondering ... should I expect to see results at all, until my levels are normal?

Do any of you wonderful people have any comments, advice, or past experience?
I'm just not sure what I should be expecting.

Thanks!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with hypothyroidism, you might not see results for awhile if your levels are off.

I don't think I can lose weight at all if my levels are messed up. I just get tired and hungry and feel sluggish. If my levels are where they should be, and stable, I don't have any problems. It's like any other person my age trying to lose weight.

I wish I had better advice for you at this time, but honestly, when I didn't see results, I fell off the wagon. Luckily, I got right back on once I started feeling better.

If what you are doing isn't working, try something else. Don't give up though. If nothing else, maintaining can feel like an accomplishment when you are hypo.
  • ElisetheQ
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I have been tired, sluggish, just overall blah ... but I keep on keeping on! Lol.
    I've been told it can take up to a year for your thyroid to die off completely (or as much as it will) so my levels could be off until late this summer if that's the case.
    It's not easy, maintaining a healthy diet and exercising so much, especially without the reward of seeing it pay off! I'm just hoping when my levels DO even out that I'll start dropping the weight really fast.

Like you said, I do feel better knowing that I'm doing right by my body ... and that's been my encouragement thus far.

Anyway, thanks again. :)
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Read your post and I don't have similar experience with regard to thyroid treatment - radiation.

But I am really confused by your post. If I am reading it correctly your thyroid no longer functions and so now your thyroid hormones must be replaced some other way, specifically medication.

You may want to speak with your doctor or endocrinologist about your energy levels and bring with you a copy of your food & exercise diary. Perhaps the medication is not working. Do you have regular blood work?

I have hasimoto's disease which is autoimmune thyroid disease. The first medication I was given was levoxyl (a synthetic hormone) and my body could not tolerate it. I was sicker on the medication - every joint in my body ached within a month of taking the medication. The endocrinologist refused to hear what I had to say and would not change my medication.

I found a new doctor and requested Armour thyroid (the oldest thyroid medication, made from pig thyroid) which works on t3 and t4 levels and I saw a world of difference in energy. There was a shortage a couple of years ago and I could not get the Armour so he switched me to a combo of synthroid & cytomel. I didn't feel like myself and felt I was sliding back so my doctor provided a script to me so that I could get the medication called Thyroid from a Canadian pharmacy. It worked like Armour and I stayed with that until Armour became available again.

Ok, that was a very long and round about way to say that this is all trial and error! Also, what works for one person may not be effective for someone else. But it is really important to have a doctor that listens and takes your input. Good luck!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you, (kinda) I have Hashimotot's and Im hypo, I havent lost anything in 5 months maybe a few inches, I was hyper probably until Sept. (with hashi you can get spikes of hyper) then my weight loss stalled out! I am so frustrated , I used to be thin and if I wanted to lose weight (usually baby weight) I could. After having my 4th child I found out I had Hashi's. I exercise hard. 5-6 days a week 45-60 min. Sometimes I go over on my calories because I think in my head , "I wont lose anyway") But I have to workout for my mental health so I like to do it and it makes me feel good. I might have lost 2 pounds since being on Levo. 25mg. (nov. 2011) (have to start low) I go in for labs soon, but no, my levels are still out of range so that might be why Im not see the scale move. I have heard from a lot of people and it can take a year or two to finally get on the right meds and have your thyroid regulated, I know not what we wanted to hear but keep up what you are doing, you HAVE to just as I do, because our thyroid is slow, we would gain if we didnt eat healthy and in a good calorie range , I have read where a women would gain like 20lb in a month so keep up your routine, we will see results soon! At least we are putting good things in our body, right?
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone -- hypothyroid throws all kinds of levels off -- not just TSH. I am hypo and have hashi's also -- my cortisal levels are off, B12, iron, Vitamin D and so much more. I exercise pretty hard 6 days a week and just now starting to see minor results. I eat fresh food only - if it comes in a package, I don't eat it. I also had to eliminate bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.. no simple carbs. I love fruit, but I can only eat it on days where I have intense workouts. My body will not burn fat if I am eating too many carbs... it just won't.

We do need strength training, not just cardio -- strength training and Pilates has finally helped me to lose inches, even if not pounds! :smile:
  • ElisetheQ
    Options
    @Seaglass: I did have the radiation, however, my thyroid is still in the process of dying off. So when I'm put on medication, by the next 6 weeks when I get bloodwork done, by thyroid count is even lower because it's continually dying off. Although, from my understanding, it most likely won't die completely, and it will still function a little - but we're not at the point yet where we know when it's going to stop dying more and be consistent. Does that make sense? Probably not, that's confusing when I read it, lol!

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision ... at least when I was hyper I could lose weight in a snap! ;) Not that it's important, but the reason I did was because I was having heart issues, and the medicine wasn't controlling it. Plus I was like, crazy. :) I'm pretty sure both hyper and hypo makes you act crazy though, when it's not controlled ... ;)

Anyway. Thanks to you all for your input. I'm going to tweak some things in my workout/diet, and I go back to my Endo in early February to see if my levels need adjustment. I'm pretty sure they will. If not, then I still have a lot to discuss with him.
  • rcav123
    rcav123 Posts: 20
    Options
    has anyone using this program MY FITNESS PAL, having thyroid lost any weight like 5 pounds?:explode:
  • rcav123
    Options
    i have had low thyroid for 3 years now and i have never been able to lose not even one pound. i tell my doctor she said its not my thyroid it me sooo i stop going to fast food one year ago didn't lose any weight, i go for walks now....... haven't lost any weight, i stop eating after 6, now i am tryiing this. soon i'm gona try crack ............. thats a joke
  • tecallahan
    Options
    LOL - I lost 5 pounds -- but it took 70 days!! If you have "belly fat" but not much fat elsewhere, you might also consider reducing carb intake. I believe that's what got the 5 pounds off of me -- and I lost 3 inches on my waist!! Now I have other issues. My dietician thinks I am insulin resistant, so I elimated all fruit, bread, pasta, rice, etc... the majority of my carbs come from green vegetables. When you go low carb, you also need to go high fat -- so things like walnuts, almonds, olive oil, avocado, etc. Its' sort of like Adkins, but important to keep it all as fresh as possible - not packaged/processed foods.

Right now, I have other thyroid and food sensitivity problems, so I've temporarily abandoned the low carb/high fat diet -- but I still think it's a great way to lose weight. Some people eat too much bacon and cheese, but if you have a great volume of green veggies, you will be eating very healthy.

My ratios were 62% fat, 13% carbs and 25% protein. I also worked out 6 days a week - 2 days strength, 2 days Pilates and at least 30 mins of cardio 4 days a week.

So, bottom line, I did a lot of work to lose 5 pounds.
  • lillyx123x
    lillyx123x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been on levothyroxine for nearly a year now (started on 25mg now on 150mg). I am due blood tests next week with the hope i will be increased to 175mg as i feel i am nearly there but could do with a little extra, still have lots of symptoms. I have been watching my weight and excersisng since i started the medication and i have put on around 7lbs. I felt really low last year as i thought that as some of my symptoms were getting better i may be able to lose a little weight but no, i ended putting it on. I came to hate excersise classes as i felt like whats the point, i felt really low but i still carried on doing them as i was scared of piling on more weight. For the last month or two ive relaxed my eating and have reduced my classes down to 2-3 a week and fortunatly have stayed the same weight. Im hoping it was my increase from 125mg-150mg that has helped me stay the same weight. Over the last three weeks, i have started doing more classes and do around 5 a week now and i have started watching what i eat (i have fri and sat nights off at the mo but hope to change soon) and today i weighed myself and have lost 4lb in 3 weeks. I am so hoping the medication is working better for me and i continue to lose, even if its 1/2 a week ill be happy but fingers crossed i get an increase next week. I will let you know if i lose anymore : )
  • tecallahan
    Options
    i have had low thyroid for 3 years now and i have never been able to lose not even one pound. i tell my doctor she said its not my thyroid it me sooo i stop going to fast food one year ago didn't lose any weight, i go for walks now....... haven't lost any weight, i stop eating after 6, now i am tryiing this. soon i'm gona try crack ............. thats a joke

Doctors are a joke. If they are just measuring your TSH - then they are idiots. TSH is not an indication of how your thyroid is performing. Find a doctor that will treat your symptoms, not your lab tests.
  • rcav123
    Options
    How do you know your Cortisal levels are off?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Signs of cortisol level issues are: nervousness, heart palpitations, fluctuating low body temperature, waking up multiple times during the night, to name a few. Usually Reverse T3 (which I have) is accompanied by extreme lows and highs in cortisol levels.

You know cortisol is another one of those hormones, that we produce when we are "under stress"... so if you are always stressed out, as I am, you can drive up the cortisol.