OKCupid?

Options

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I feel like I should clarify my answer.. I wasn't putting anyone/anything down. I'm still on them, obviously. Just a few things that I've noticed. I had one "success" if you can even call it that from OKCupid. We slept together for about 10 months then he moved, that was it. I've gone on 12-15 dates between POF and OKC and they were all freaks except the one guy. I hope anyone that is on them has good luck in finding someone. A friend from home met a guy and they married, a friend from school ended up with a stalker and a restraining order, so I guess it's like the lottery
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    I haven't use any of those sites lol.. Sorry I can't be of any help.
  • go_fast
    go_fast Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On pof I noticed a lot of the really attractive women had profiles on there for months or years. WTF, I know they're getting lots of replies. Why are they still on pof? Let me answer that. ...... I think a lot of these women have become extremely selective & are always waiting for the next best thing, more handsome, more wealthy, etc. Puts lots of pressure on us average guys who still have a ton of qualities to offer. I'm talking about my age group here, the 50 to 60 yr olds.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Well, to offset that, I found a male friend on POF who has been in a relationship (living together) with someone for over a year.

He simply forgot it was on there, and didn't have any of the auto-notifications set up.

So maybe you shouldn't assume the worst? Maybe some of the other members just don't go there much?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Most dating sites have nearly as bad of a male/female ratio as a Trekkie convention.

Hard for males to stand out.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Wow, that makes me feel like even more of a loser, knowing there are so many men compared to women, and I still can't find anyone. LOL
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wow, that makes me feel like even more of a loser, knowing there are so many men compared to women, and I still can't find anyone. LOL

Me, too! I guess the hordes of men are all messaging the same 10-20 women
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I haven't even looked at my okc account in years.. maybe I should go refresh... I get updates and messages on my POF acct weekly but I haven't looked in a while.. i guess that makes me a jerk.. but I'm trying to get happier with me, through here, losing weight and all before I bring someone else into my equation.. because who wants to deal with someone who's not even comfortable in their own skin, ya know?
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Stace, why wouldn't you make your profile invisible then? I've done that when I've wanted a break. It doesn't seem fair to leave it active if you aren't bothering to go on there or check it.
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    good call, I guess I hadn't thought about it. but I'm going to do that now. Thanks!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    POF is great if you are looking for sex. Bc from my experience that was what I ran across, Don't know about OKC becasue they are slow to respond.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    @stace, glad you didn't take my opinion the wrong way. :)

@get, I still believe it's what you make of it. You could get interest for just a hookup from any site. Maybe there are more on some sites than others, but I just delete anything I'm not comfortable with.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    So this is the message I got this morning:

"If you could fart on anyone in the world, who would it be?"

Ummmm....
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    That's just stupid and immature. I just delete something like that and don't reply.

I just got the "Hello. How are you?" email. Ugh. Really? I have a pretty full profile. You can't think of ONE thing to say about it?
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!! I always get "Hey cutie! (or beautiful, or sexy, etc.)". Really? Then they're completely surprised when I mention that I sing opera. That's one of the first things on my profile -- not exactly a secret haha.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Exactly what I mean. I reference my two sons and their ages in the first line of my summary and I've had guys ask about my kids. LOL Dorks! At least pretend you're interested in something other than my photos!
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I wouldn't interpret it like that. We operate in different age cohorts. I'm still in my 20s, and I'm looking for women 21-27. Women 21-27 are in the absolute highest demand. A typical 25 year old woman is getting messages from men up to about age 50.

A 45 year old woman is typically going to be interested in men 45+. The dynamics of that cohort are going to be much different than those in their 20s.

I hope that you find what you are looking for. I am starting to focus more of my efforts on offline dating.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Very good point. For some reason, men my age can't face the fact that they ARE my age and most 25 y/o women aren't interested in them lol.

Good luck! I work from home and don't go to a gym, so I don't have many options for meeting quality people. So online it is for me!
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Very good point. For some reason, men my age can't face the fact that they ARE my age and most 25 y/o women aren't interested in them lol.

Good luck! I work from home and don't go to a gym, so I don't have many options for meeting quality people. So online it is for me!

50 year old men realize that there are some 25-30 year old women that would be interested. However, most 50 year old men would be better off focusing their efforts on women in their 40s.

At 28, I am most interested in women in their mid 20s.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Never tried OKCupid. I was on match.com for a while but found that most men (even though it was a pay site) just wanted sex or were really kinda creepy. I had pretty good luck on POF. I met some nice guys, went on first and second dates but things just didn't click. I'm currently talking with the last guy I met on POF before I de-activated my profile. Obviously he's not after just sex because we TALK. We speak daily. A three hour phone conversation is not unusual and sometimes it's longer than that. We've been doing this for a little over three months. Our first "date" is supposed to be this weekend. We've tried other times but due to distance (an hour) and work schedules, it just hasn't happened yet. But what a nice foundation of friendship we've gotten just by talking!!!

I was on eharmony for a while, and met some very nice people, nothing stuck past a first or second date. One guy may have had long term potential but he went back to an ex. Eharmony is expensive though and I'm not sure it's worth the cost. I just joined the singles group on MFP, because you just never know where Mr. Wonderful is hiding.