Exercise

Options
What is everyone doing for exercise?

I have to admit that I am currently at a low level of fitness - working my way up to big changes!

For now, my focus is on cardio. For the past couple of weeks I have been doing 30 minutes on the elliptical (now at level 5) and I can do a 15 minute mile which makes me happy - it's a start right?!

I also walk the dog, he's a little guy, and we walk a mile and it takes us about 30 minutes. It's more for relaxation, getting out in the fresh air and sunshine and I really just enjoy it. The elliptical not so much *lol*!

So if you don't mind sharing, what is your fitness plan, past, current and future :)

Donna

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii, some upper body exercise like tennis and Boxercising, some Pilates floor work, some standing games (more for physio purposes) for balance as I have Ataxia also and I have a passive trainer bike which is like pedal exerciser but motorised as I don't have the coordination to pedal (or walk) due to the Ataxia. I'm in wheelchair for rest of day..I try use manual one so using arms or legs to move still but need powered one for some jobs and for walking my dog outdoors as I'm surrounded by big hills.
  • BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started with Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. It was easy to build up and now I do 5 miles with no problems. I am also doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video with a group but that has been really hard and I don't recommend it for someone starting out. I wish that I had waited to start it.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I've heard a lot of buzz about the 30 day shred and would like to give it a try. Need to work up to a better level of fitness first, maybe in a few weeks. I am going to check our library and see if they have a copy to borrow to try it first :)

Don't have a Wii but my son who is away at college has a PS3, but I don't know if they have exercise media as well. Does anyone know?

Donna
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I started with a few minutes of jump rope and the occaisional walk around the block. Now, I am doing turbo jam dvds. Next, I will do Chalean extreme.

Your plan sounds perfect to me. Start with something managable and keep doing it consistantly until you can do more.
  • sharonlane23
    Options
    i started out walking on the treadmill and i try to increase as much as possible. i need to start pushing myself a little harder.
    i have the biggest loser yoga that i used to do but i'm afraid to try and fail so i'm going to increase my walking more and then try to get into the yoga in a couple weeks, i just dont want to burn out, i need this to be a life change because i have so much to lose.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I think there's the playstation move, but don't see it mentioned much in relation to keeping fit. I think most PS3 players are men who prefer the driving, shooting type of games with the traditional style controller.

You could try eBay see if you can get a decent fitness game for playstation move but I can't remember if it was for the PS2 or PS3.

It maybe cheaper too get some fitness DVD's , amazon has really good reviews and you may be able to rent them from blockbusters or something like that to see if you can do them first before you buy.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog every morning for 20min (1 mile). Some days I also do the elliptical, and other days I do Zumba on the Wii. And other days I only get my walk in. Really depends on how exhausted I am that day and how my hormones are. Once I get my tax return I plan to buy a HRM and some really good running shoes and will start C25K.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wii Zumba!! I have both that I use - and lately have been sticking with Zumba 2, Full hour long medium intensity classes 7 days a week- and I swear I end up sweating way more than I do when I use my elliptical. <3 The energy it promotes, its gotta be the most fun I've ever had working out.

I also do Pilates 3 days a week in lieu of strength training.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do a funny mixture -- 2 days strength training + 30 min of C25k. 2 days Pilates. 1 day swim + C25k. 1 day cycling. I have a short attention span so mixing it up keeps me interested!! I am waiting for doctor appointment to discuss my cortisol levels -- if they are too low, they may ask me to back off of exercise -- which will really pi$$ me off!
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I mostly do walking. As my suburb has lots of uphill inclines.

But I try to do Zumba as well. 45mins when I have the energy.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Just got an e-mail from the library that they have a copy of the 30 day shred available for me to borrow - will pick it up today and check it out!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I tried the 30DS but just couldn't get into it. I lasted about 12 days I think. I was so bored! I wish that wasn't the case though because the results from people doing it are great!