Status? How goes it?

Options
How is everyone doing on their reset attempts?

Let me start?

Days in: About 5

Compliance: Very good (one day I snacked)

Biggest drawback: no cream in my coffee between meals

Biggest benefit: Having larger breakfast really does kill appetite all day long, I notice the bigger my breakfast (they can get huge) the less calories eat overall...

Notes and misc: Nothing really, happy with results so far, averaging about .6 pounds a day lost.

Replies

• ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am doing well.

Days in, 3.

Compliance: Pretty good, except for today. I had crab cakes that had bread crumbs on them. I've had two squares of dark chocolate, one today and one yesterday. I could have done without them, though!

Biggest drawback: feeling weak during the day, around lunch times. It usually fades after an hour or two.

Biggest benefit: I'm actually losing weight! I'm down 4 pounds since Monday. I have energy to lift weights with a very mild cardio warm-up.

Notes and misc: I'm not sleeping as well as I'd like. I think that largely has to do with my young daughter, though. I'm fasting after my workout and haven't had any ill effects. Oh, I will say that I've been craving water a lot more! I'm finding that it's easier than before to meet the 8 cup requirement.

I'm just waiting for the carb flu and carb cravings to kick in.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am starting day 3. Day one was great. Day 2 I felt so wiped out that I snacked in the afternoon.

I am struggling to work out in the afternoon. I do it in the morning, before breakfast, because that is what works for my schedule. When I try for afternoon seems something always comes up. Any suggestions?
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am starting day 3. Day one was great. Day 2 I felt so wiped out that I snacked in the afternoon.

I am struggling to work out in the afternoon. I do it in the morning, before breakfast, because that is what works for my schedule. When I try for afternoon seems something always comes up. Any suggestions?

I had to quit lifting and let my body heal when I first did Leptin Reset. This made me very grumpy. My daughter will attest to that but it was necessary to heal and I wasn't seeking weight loss, I was seeking my ultimate health so I hung in there. I really support the idea that if you're going to train, do it after 5:30pm or not at all. My clients have seen great benefits from this as well. Are you putting your lights dim to out an hour before sunset? We have trouble with that but are getting closer.

Note on training: Using a bodyweight tabata routine that only takes 4 - 8 minutes, I can kick the toughest client's butt (I train elite athlets and am personally pursuing a gold medal in Russian Kettlebell lifting as well as a Master of Sport by the time I am 50), so if you need ideas about how to make it work without a gym or don't yet own a kettlebell, there is still plenty that can be done to increase your strength and improve your conditioning. :)
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Dim or out lights an hour before sunset in Michigan in January would be 4:30 PM...the rest of my family would balk. I see that you are in Washington so it can't be much different for you. How do you deal with a dark house for 5 hours?

There is a lot I don't know yet. And my husband and daughter are not on board = tougher.

I have seen tabata workouts. I usually do 15 to 30 minutes of rebounder and then 12 to 20 minutes of high intensity intervals (bodyrock.tv) but I am trying to get back into running and a 5:30AM run is what kicked my butt yesterday. I like to go to the gym with my hubby a couple days a week and morning is when he goes. I ate right after but then felt crappy all day.

I sincerely appreciate your advice. Thank you! Ellie

BTW...how soon do you turn 50? My big day is this February. :tongue:
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Karg,

First, thanks for starting this thread/group. Second, I'm very proud of our results as a family:

I'm 45, weigh 245 lbs, have already shed 107 lbs but have 65-85 lbs net more to go, depending on how much muscle I end up carrying. Lean body weight right now is almost 150 lbs. Had been Primal VLC (Carbs 0-25g/day) for 4 months followed by Primal with Carbs around 50-100g/day for 6 more months. I did my first Leptin Reset attempt several months ago and was thrilled with my results so now that the family is growing, want to do it again but with more attention to detail.

Formerly living a life of extreme immobility and being permanently disabled with trauma to my lungs, I had the blessing of an amazing service dog who gave me air quality alerts and lung function feedback for over a decade. Shiang-Shiang, my service dog, died during my original Leptin Reset attempt after 14 1/2 years of extreme old age, right before Thanksgiving. I found that grief and paying attention to details didn't work well. Despite all of that, I got huge gains in energy, strength and endurance.

My goal for this Leptin Reset is to model the process for the 55 yo gf who is starting with a W:H ratio of 0.91 and her 15 yo teenage daughter who has been living on junk, carbs, grains and meal avoidance resulting in mood swings, learning issues, depression and anxiety.

My 6 yo has great eating habits, well listened to instincts and will eat *any*thing that doesn't contain gluten. She has less digestive distress with avoiding grains but doesn't seem to suffer from a little bit of grain from time to time. Usually in the form of a well meaning friend or relative's providing her with a 'gluten free' treat that is 90% real and 10% or less grain. I usually leave it up to her own sense of what her body can handle and then point and giggle if she gets a tummy ache. At least now we aren't running to the ER at 2:30am due to gluten acting like a stomach flu in her gut. She has had a lot of motivation to heal herself and make good choices. She's the only one who isn't Leptin Resistant so she'll have more fruit and veggies than the rest of us but basically eats the same stuff we do.

Days in: Been wanting to do this since June, trying actively for this since Christmas, had to return to Seattle and come back to Victoria before I could really get all our ducks in a row. Now I think we have it rolling, so we'll call today day 3.

Compliance: Very good for gf and I, 6 yo is our biggest cheerleader. Two biggest challenges are light management in the evenings and timing of breakfast. Today I did great and I really feel it. No compulsion to return to the misery that was pre-Primal life so not even tempted by the 'edible food-like substances' as my daughter would say.

Biggest drawback: my gf's home/life isn't built around movement/training, lots of small things need shifting. Too many activities and objects cluttering up her space and life. She has a cupboard and fridge stuffed with poisons. I am planning to spend the weekend helping her throw away everything not real (anticipate large lawn and garden sized garbage bags full of the processed crap).

Biggest benefit: Having a large breakfast really works for gf, 6 yo daughter and me. That's 3 out of 4. Those of us that do have more energy, happier experiences and more connectedness as a family.

Notes and misc: Moving from a family life of 2, a well stocked home kitchen in Seattle, a rhythm around training clients and nurturing my daughter and myself to a new and different commuter's life between 2 homes/countries requires attention to what I value most. Sure I can have it all...if I'm willing to accept the consequences. Need more herbs/spices, space for real food, time in schedule to train with gf in the evening. Winter Market happens this Saturday so I get to start relationships with the people who will help me feed the family. Dairy, Meat ranchers and Veggie purveyors will all be there.

Bad news: Learned yesterday that raw dairy is illegal in Canada or at least in BC, still doing research. For now we'll use grass fed pasteurized HWC if we can find it and use Coconut Cream or just Coconut Oil in the coffee when we cannot.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Yep raw dairy is illegal in Ontario too.

Stupid government.