Valentine's Day Dilemma

I know it's some weeks away but the man and I are talking about going away for a weekend to Vegas with another couple friend of ours for Valentine's Day, but I'm worried about what I'll eat. I'm 2 weeks into a low carb diet and I don't eat meat, so anytime I eat "out" my options are: salad, eggs, or steamed veggies. And an entire weekend of fancy restaurants sounds like an unbearable temptation of delicious foods and desserts. After 7 years together and a child (now 5) we've never been on a trip together, just the two of us (In fact I've only been separated from my son 1 night in his entire life). Point is, I've been looking forward to a worry-free weekend for years but am also a very serious food addict (I know I'm not alone) and am worried about getting off track. I would love nothing more than to get away and be able to enjoy the food. But it's a very dangerous line I'll be walking. I don't want to sound whiny, but does anyone have any advice for me? What would you do in a similar situation, or what have you done? Any input much appreciated! :)

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Hey there

Try not to worry- like you said you and your Hubby have never had an opportunity like this before so you should look forward to all of the good things you will be doing.

Low carb must be really tough if you dont eat meat, but there are some options, do you eat fish at all?

Las vegas is a place with many buffets restaurants (or so I've heard) so perhaps you could go to a buffet with a wide range of salads, veggies, cheeses and make a varied platter?

Or go to a Japanese teppenyaki grill where they stir fry & cook your meal in front of you with only what you want in it. You could have stir fried veggies & omlette in a nice low carb sauce.

Try to be aware of your food but dont let it ruin your trip. If you do indulge in a dessert or carb then get back on the horse when you get home!
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    My two cents: plan to indulge! That way you can be thoughtful ahead of time re how much and when you'll go off your plan. For example you could decide to stay on plan during the days but plan to have something special at two of your dinners out
    Eat some protein before you go to the restaurant so you're not making decisions on an empty stomach. Then savor your extras and getright back on track!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    If this is a once in a very-long-time trip that you are taking... Im sorry but, I would definitely say its a free card to be human.... whether you eat meat or not is really not important.

If you just cant allow yourself to enjoy the weekend worry-free, then your going to make an impact on that trip for yourself and I dont think you want to be miserable over something like food... honestly, its not that important.....

Spend the weekend with your husband and friends, and give yourself a break.... its definitely not worth stressing out over a weekend away from home and away from control....

If I can allow myself to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas and maintain the entire time... YOU can go to Vegas and enjoy yourself...

stop worrying and start getting excited about the trip!