So you hit your goal weight, then what?

Options
aklitten
aklitten Posts: 237 Member
I am 10 pounds away from my goal and am going to push myself to get there. I sort of chose my goal weight randomly (about in the middle of a healthy BMI for my height (22.6), but I am not sure what to do after that. I know I will want to continue to tone up (just ordered three more Jillian videos) and get in better running shape...I have also heard that heavy lifting can really help women define their muscles (and not bulk up, as is often thought). But I don't belong to a gym, and honestly don't plan on joining one; I'd much rather do exercises at home, allowing me to spend more time at home and less money on the gym. What are YOUR plans/thoughts?

Replies

• therighttrack
    therighttrack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering myself, what I will need to do once I hit my goal weight.
    I am only 15 lbs away now. I know from past attempts in loosing weight (over the last couple of years) that once I step away from MFP I stop watching my calorie intake and I stop exercising - then gain the weight back...so i know that I will stick to the site, but what type of exercising do I do once I am where I want to be? I don't want to become a toothpick, but I want to be slim and happy being me. And how often should I exercise just to maintain my weight?
    If anyone knows any answers to this, I would love to hear it!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    And how often should I exercise just to maintain my weight?

You will have to recalculate your calorie numbers with your new lower weight and figure out what number is your "maintenance" (maintaining weight). So, you will no longer be needing to create the deficit by eating a certain percentage less calories. Just keep your eating at what the maintenance level is and gauging your exercise accordingly, i.e. exercise more, eat more to keep hitting your daily goal. The exercise is going to be for health benefits and toning, not for losing weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What are YOUR plans/thoughts?

I chose my goal weight because that is the lowest I had been in recent years. I may readjust my goal weight down another 5-7 pounds but not certain about that until I get there and see how I look and feel. I have just started 30 day shred. This is the most exercise I have done in quite awhile, I have always been allergic to exercise. So another goal would be to continue some exercise to maintain tone, and continue that and make it a permanent lifestyle change.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was a pound up from my goal weight and revised it down another 5 lbs. The closer I get, I think I'll emphasize strength training more and do cardio when it's fun. Ideally, I'd like to do a lot of biking this spring/summer and just hit the gym for the weights. Now I do some cardio almost every day including weight lifting days and I'll probably back off a bit. But it is nice to have those exercise calories to eat back :)

I suspect that gaining muscle will continue to lose inches even if the scale doesn't move (or so I hope).