blood work

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,833 Member
So, I had an odd circumstance happen that I had 2 blood tests done on thyroid. 1 was non fasting about 1 PM on a Friday, and the other was fasting Sat AM about 8:30 am.

The non fasting test (which is what I normally do annually for my endocrinologist) came back at just over 3. The fasting test came back at about 5.5,

Interesting.

Im on a steady dose of 50 mg Synthroid.

I know that some docs say there is NO difference between the fasting and non fasting test, but apparently there is, as the readings are far enough apart to be significant IMHO.

I do have Hashi, so it is possible I guess that it was within my own variance ..

Just food for thought on a Thursday.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hashi's makes your levels fly all around -- you can be hyper one day and hypo the next. For some levels, like cortisol, they do a saliva test because the blood tests are so unreliable. They test saliva like 6 times during the course of a day -- because hashi can make cortisol jump all over.

Do you have other symptoms?
  • Gwommit
    Options
    I've got Hashi but it is fairly stable now. My endo suggested I fast for my blood tests as the result was more accurate. The lady at the pathology always says "you don't need to fast" but I figure he might just know what he is on about.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,833 Member
    Options
    I think that with the 50 of Synthroid I have been stable for 3 years at about 2-3. However, the blood work that I just did which WAS high is in the middle of my diet. So maybe that is proof that dieting is hard on your thyroid. I am continuing on the dosage of 50 for now, and will have my bloodwork redone in mid April. I hope to reach my weight goal by mid March and begin maintenance at that point so it will be interesting to see if after a month or so of maintaining whether the thyroid # recovers.

I also will get a sonogram to chk on the nodules in April.

I feel like an experiment. LOL.

However, in spite of the number showing high on the tasting test, I do not have any specific symptoms (tired, etc...).

I probably will not fast for the bloodwork in April because i get such a migraine from lack of caffein hahaha.