Salt

Options
I have noticed that the sodium intake for certain beans is outrageous. Can anyone recommend some canned beans with lower sodium?
Thanks,
Richard

Replies

• s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    i use a strainer and rinse my beans if i can't find any without salt, you can always give that a try :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also use a strainer and rinse my beans well. This gets rid of a lot of the salt. Beyond this, the 4HB slow carb diet does cause many of us to process extra water. With extra water intake and expulsion, you shed electrolytes, including salt. My sodium intake is a bit high on the 4HB diet, but I've found by blood pressure is lower, so I haven't been worrying about it.
  • bridall
    bridall Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else I strain and rinse any beans or lentils before using them.
    I'm more interested in avoiding the beans that have added sugar, even the 'plan' beans often have sugar in the ingredients list.
  • rsaldivar5651
    Options
    Thanks ALL! I will strain and wash!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've also found that washing the canned beans thoroughly helps with the unpleasant "side effects" of eating beans! :laugh: at least for me anyway.
  • rsaldivar5651
    Options
    I've never experienced that issue (thankfully). Trust me...everyone was worried! LOL