Why does this need to be mentioned?

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
This is a dumb news story about Tom and Nicole's kids. But it bugs me because they just HAVE to say "their adopted son Connor". They can't just say "their son", they have to put a qualifier on it. You can look at him and know he isn't their biological son, so to what purpose is this needed?

Yea, it's a dumb thing to be irritated about, but the media does it all the time and I hate it.

/rant

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/tom-cruise-nicole-kidman-kids-rare-public-appearance-220344738.html?fb_action_ids=2868487144259&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQDYF0vPWB7ae4d1f3EUDa6IYWERBpc4o3GS_5fqSA2XlmM-ReNWi-8XBHYNx34MetIrTry_I4q9VZz-1b3frXyLcgHwH2k4Wk1UK2wriv3Y8wqyEu7an-afi2S05STW82HHTHqTmUKw04qxjX5BQAT47jaSx4wV4m-yxk_tJngBWQ1UUw_5j8jwaJxq4j_J9_g#_=_

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It ****s me off, too.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Me three... How are those kids going to feel when they're constantly referred to as the "adopted kids"? My parents never referred to my brother and I as their "adopted children" - we were their children, plain and simple. I also would never refer to my parents as my "adoptive parents", just as I would never refer to my birth parents as my "parents" or as "mom and dad", just as I would never refer to my biological son as "that kid I placed for adoption". Ugh! I think the media likes to play on the fact that these celebrities did the world a favor by adopting these poor, unwanted children - thanks news media for making us all feel like crap!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Well said Wuggums. I have people that have known me for many years that are surprised to find out I'm adopted when it comes up. Why? Because it isn't who I AM, it's just the way I ended up where I was. I wasn't birthed into my family, but it's still MY family.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you. I truly dislike the use of qualifiers - really makes them(us) seem "less than".
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I think the media likes to play on the fact that these celebrities did the world a favor by adopting these poor, unwanted children - thanks news media for making us all feel like crap!

Exatly.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I read it and thought...the media really doesn't get it. I'm sure that Tom and Nicole don't look at them as "adopted" but just as their children whom they love. Then again, most people (including in the media) could care less about an adoptee's perspective, we're just suppose to be grateful that some one adopted us.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you ever referred to your friend's (or frenemy's) kid as a bio baby? Its hilarious, and then they get the point.