Frozen Prepared Foods

Options
Does anyone have any good ideas about frozen meals?

I've started to take them to lunch at work, simply because I can't afford to keep up with my office mates who seem to honestly get takeout and delivery just about every day. It's expensive in my area and frankly, too many calories.

This week it's been Healthy Choice meals (because they were on sale - 5/$10 with card).

A few months ago, husband bought Bertolli's frozen meals. The shrimp linguini meal IS AMAZING! I usually add more linguini to it, because the sauce is awesome, but unfortunately, it's chalk full of calories.

Anyone else have good/bad experience or suggestions on what to try next? (Doesn't have to be frozen, necessarily.)

katie

Replies

• Gribbish
    Options
    personally, I make extra of something that I like and is a lot cheaper to make at home than buy pre-packaged... for example, I make spaghetti, drain it, mix in the sauce of my choice, and then portion it out in these nifty little microwaveable 1.5 cup rubbermaid containers.
    Toss em in the freezer, ready-made frozen food. costs less than a buck each, as opposed to 4 for marie calendars.

(for retail frozen foods, I'm partial to stauffer's lasagne, tho)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I do alot of bulk cooking and prepping ahead to be honest. Im friends with people who own an Asian fusion restaurant and they let me purchase a sleeve of those sturdy plastic take-out boxes with lids, and a set of soup containers with lids as well.

Often when I get home from grocery shopping, Ill prep up my color-peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, celery and they are at-the-ready when I need to make a meal.

The meats I purchase are in bulk and get prepped ahead as well... some are marinated, season-rubbed, or left-as is for on-the-fly cooking.

I package them in portions of four: That way, there is an additional plate for my husband (guaranteed to eat twice!) and the additional portion for me to take with me to lunch the next day.

The containers come home, are washable and get used all over again!
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Because it is only me on this sensible eating journey, the kids are too young to be watching calories, I have just started to cook double portions and freeze half. Now I can eat sensibly and nutritionally, foods that I like and have made so I know exactly what has gone into it AND it's cheaper.

All round win!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Now I can eat sensibly and nutritionally, foods that I like and have made so I know exactly what has gone into it AND it's cheaper.

Cheaper: isnt it a beautiful thing? LOL!!!

I have an empty nest here so its just the two of us.. but I still need to cook for him twice-over! LOL!
  • lradatz
    lradatz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I buy lean cuisine and smart ones for the frozen meals. Both are pretty good w food choices and calories!
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They are not the best choice for lunch, but i do eat them as well...the Healthy Choice Steamers seem good enough for being processed..most have approximately 20% of your sodium intake, and 250-330 cals which is not too bad considering takeout is most of your day's worth.

If you can, it is simple to make meals ahead of time. 4 Oz of chicken or beef(seasoned the way you like), some veggies, and brown rice or soba noodles. Make 3 or 4 meals and stick it in the fridge for the week, very similar to the frozen meals except you have to do a little work. I actually have to start doing this again. lol.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I got a small Foreman Grill on Amazon for around $20 and cook something everyday at lunch, chicken breast, shoulder steak, chicken sausages, etc. I just ordered a microwave vegetable steamer so I can have fresh vegies too. I am tired of the frozen ones.
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like both Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones. My favorites are the Lean Cuisine Panini Sandwiches! I also like the Lean Hot Pockets. If I'm running late out the door, I'll grab an instant oatmeal or a Lean Cuisine breakfast sandwich.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Like a few of the other post-ers have mentioned, I like to bring leftovers to work. Most recipes make at least 4 servings, so with just my hubby and I, there is at least one portion left over for lunch the next day. I ahve been making a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com lately - lots of good leftovers there! :wink:
  • ehoward54
    ehoward54 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the Lean Cuisines! They have some really decent ones, like the one with lemon chicken and rice. I like them mostly because the portions are correct, and I've always had trouble portioning correctly.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just bought a ton of the Smart Ones for super cheap at the commissary. I usually try to cook extras but it's fantastic to have these frozen meals as a backup.
  • maxime7
    maxime7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Although I am married, my husband is gone Monday night through Saturday morning, so I live like a single person and the only night I cook is Monday :) I never liked to cook, anyway. He does most of the cooking when he is home. I know, it seems just wrong - but it is what it is. I like all three of the major ones - Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice, but I have to say that I have discovered of late the Lean Cuisines are my favorite. My pick is the southwestern chicken fajita spring rolls. The box is two packages of three rolls with a little crisping sleeve, so they are nice and crispy coming out of the microwave. And I think around 200 calories for one 3-pack. Very good! One of my friends says she nukes them and then dips them in a Laughing Cow triangle - haven't tried that one yet.

Since I hate to cook and I don't really like cold breakfast, does anyone have any suggestions for a "boxed" breakfast? I absolutely do NOT like turkey, and all of the Smart Ones breakfast sandwiches, quesidillas, and stuffed pockets seem to have turkey bacon.
  • MellieR
    MellieR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Amy's meals? You have to read the boxes as I think Lean Cuisine does a better job of putting calories and sodium right on the front, but I haven't had an Amy's that I didn't enjoy. But, you do need to read the nutrition panel.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I got a small Foreman Grill on Amazon for around $20 and cook something everyday at lunch, chicken breast, shoulder steak, chicken sausages, etc. I just ordered a microwave vegetable steamer so I can have fresh vegies too. I am tired of the frozen ones.

Hate the clean up though... but look at all that grease you're NOT eating!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Hate the clean up though... but look at all that grease you're NOT eating!

Actually if you do it right, cleanup is super simple. When you are done cooking, wet a paper towel and put it on the dirty grill surface. When you are done eating everything will pretty much just wipe off.