New Here

Options
SARBelgians
SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
I'm new here. Thanks for the invite. Love the logo!

I'm 34, 5'8" 242! Just had a weigh in today and lost 9.2#. Happy dance! Anyway, I have been slowly changing my eating habits...thinking before I eat, portion control, better selection of food choices, etc. I have a BIG sweet tooth and love convenience foods because of my busy schedule. But not anymore. I've cut out nearly all sweet tooth items and stopped eating take out/fast food. Retraining my brain how to eat. With the ranch, I get in lots of activity....just feeding the livestock burns 400 calories.. This next week, I'll continue my brain retraining on food and add in 2 additional exercises above my normal activities. Normal activities are: chores X2 a day (800 calories), K9 training X 2 a week (usually 2-5 miles with a 15-20# pack on me...hiking over hills, buttes and gullies). So, I'll add an additional 2 exercises to create more burn.

Anyway, first target is 50 drop by July 1st. Essentially, 2# a week. Reward: Romantic weekend away with hubby.

My full time job is rancher...we have sheep (Shetland Sheep), dairy goats (Nubians & Oberhasli), and horses (Kiger Mustangs). Active, but easy to over eat. My second full time "job" (all volunteer) is as a K9 handler for the local Sheriff Search & Rescue group. I have two dogs who are certified, one is "mission ready". Airscent (off lead, searching for live human scent in search area) and Cadaver/Human Remains Detection (off lead or on-lead searching for deceased human scent).

Second target: I have re-certifications coming up this year with my dog. Our airscent certification [test] is clearing 160 acres of moderate terrain (buttes, rimrock, hillsides, gullies, heavy brush...typical central Oregon high desert) in 2 hours to find 1-2 missing people. With a typical grid pattern, I'll probably hike 8-12 miles with full pack (20#). Essentially, busting my butt to get it DONE! Hoping to re-certify in July.

My goals are: to get healthy, have more energy, not to huff & puff while searching with my dog.

Jillian

15449148.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group Jillian!

Glad you're with us!

You're free to look at past discussions and reply or post questions or just about anything to get a conversation going!

We've got a challenge going on and I had limited but right now, we'd love to have any of our new members take a look, to see if they want to join us this week!

You live on a ranch, so I bet, like you said, you have plenty of outside activity to choose from! Lucky girl! Good luck on your sweet tooth, my husband has several of those, lol. I'm trying to get him to restrain but I realize it is a battle with yourself.

katie
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi there Jillian and welcome :)

Your work sounds awesome, very exciting! I love animals so working alongside my dogs would be a dream for me... except they are both super lazy and a bit dim (unless it comes to bringing me their favorite toy or wanting food).

Congratulations on your weigh in, fantastic work!! Hopefully we can help motivate you to your goals and visa versa!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Chris and I am a 42 year old mom & wife. It's nice to be surrounded by Dewars as I believe you should "Immerse" yourself with positive people that make things happen! I lost 25 pounds on mfp but for the last month I have been off the wagon. I have a banquet to attend in my son's honor next month and I would LOVE to feel & look my best so I am trying to burn 1000 calories a day. Food is coming along but it has always been so much easier for me to workout! Good to know you all and I'm looking forward to chatting, challenging & working this out with all of you!
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Hi I'm Chris and I am a 42 year old mom & wife. It's nice to be surrounded by Dewars as I believe you should "Immerse" yourself with positive people that make things happen! I lost 25 pounds on mfp but for the last month I have been off the wagon. I have a banquet to attend in my son's honor next month and I would LOVE to feel & look my best so I am trying to burn 1000 calories a day. Food is coming along but it has always been so much easier for me to workout! Good to know you all and I'm looking forward to chatting, challenging & working this out with all of you!

Good to have you Chris - we'll be with you until you reach your goal and afterwards to keep you on track, if you'd like us to be!

Welcome!!!

katie
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 37, and am a currently around 188 pounds, which is better than the 210 I was this time last year but, my current low weight (middle of last month) was 183....My current small goal is to get to 175, as this was the weight I was when my husband and I started dating. My full goal is to get to a healthy BMI...I also love to train dogs, nothing as difficult as our first poster. I did training for housedogs while I was working as a pro. I taught basic stuff, sit, down, stay, walk on a loose leash, come when called...and so on. I have an aussie, which means I should be out with her way more than I am.

Hugs-

Kendra
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    Welcome! You have a plan that sounds reasonable and doable. :)
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Welcome! You have a plan that sounds reasonable and doable. :)

Welcome to all of you and thanks for joining us!

It looks like we're well on the way to losing our pants (sizes) hopefully by start of the summer!

Having a plan is important and yeah, hers sounds very reasonable - good luck - we're with you!

~katie
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Jim, 55 and married with two daughters. iI started MFP around October and have lost 25 pounds. I started losing weight in August using the Medifast Program. After getting tired of eating the Medifast Food I came to the conclusion that the only way I could truly lose and keep weight off is to reduce my calories and exercise. I always enjoyed exercising in the morning but my efforts and results were minimum.

Finally someone told me about MFP. Since I have a smartphone for work I immediately downloaded and installed the MFP App. Once I started MFP I had a good feeling about this method. What I like so much about MFP is you get a real good sense about the food we eat and how you can truly lose weight. My weight loss has been slow but continuous. I have learned that if you stick to it you will lose the weight and feel great.

What I believe is critical for a life success is what you do today has to be done even after you hit your goal. Nothing is easy with this gradual approach but it is extremely rewarding. I have been dealing with type 2 diabetes over the last 3 years. With a combined weight loss of over 40 pounds my blood sugar is below the diabetic level and my doctor has reduced my medications.

My wife has been very supportive and she has started MFP after getting an iPhone for Christmas. It does help to have encouragement for weight loss and using MFP. Thanks for starting this group and I am happy to be part of the Dewars....