Looking to run first half marathon

Options
I have been running off and on for the past 15 years but since August 1, 2011, I have finally started to make running a priority in my life. Have run 10ks, 5ks and and 8K but have my sights set on a 1/2 marathon in May 2012. I am not fast, but I am consistent. Slowly starting to increase my mileage but also know that losing weight will help me get faster and fitter. Advice from those of you have have undertaken this goal. Should I focus on losing the weight first then getting faster? Or do both?

Replies

• MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just started running last year. I've ran a 5K and a 4Miler, but am working toward a mini at the end of April. Speed is not a concern for me--finishing will be my first goal. I can work on speed for the next one.
  • MichelleUnger
    Options
    So...your recommendation is to finish the race this first time, not how fast I do it. That is a reachable goal. Finish without passing out or throwing up, right?
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in September 2010 before I lost the 18lb to my current weight. I ran my second half last November & knocked 20mins off my time. Although I do attribute some of my weightloss to this improvement in speed (I do think being lighter helps), I think most of it was down to better training & diet the second time around plus having the benefit of hindsight!!

I agree with the above - to just train & enjoy the experience & just finish rather than worrying about your speed. Then you can improve on things with your next one!!

I am applying this to my first marathon in April - just to finish!!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this; for any new distance race I run, whatever time I do it in is a new PR because its the first time I've done it. And the next time run the same distance will probably be another PR because this time I'll know what to expect. So yes, for me the goal for a first time race is always to finish. Without puking or passing out.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    RUN just RUN. your weight will come off in time. Once you finish your first long race you will be inspired to continue and to want to loose more weight and run faster.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Michelle -- great goal to run your first half... You will find that running can be your best friend to MFP, particularly when you start to see how many calories you can burn from running... As you build up your mileage and time spent running, a good hour long run can burn nearly 1K calories. I have benefitted wildly from following Jeff Galloway's running approach of combining walking and running at the same time and have gradually went from running 11-12 minute mile pace, down to below 9 minute miles. This did not happen overnight, but the best part is I run injury free, I recover a whole lot faster and my mileage is always a doable thing... It takes a while to get used to Galloway as it feels 'odd' to be walking when you're supposed to be running. But now that I'm surpassing a lot of my gazelle friends who scoff at Galloway, I'm feeling vindicated. JG has written some great books too, if you need the extra detail.

Other suggestions:
    - get a fuel belt that enables you to drink while running. Dehydration is bad, every single time.
    - add a Garmin GPS watch with HRM to measure your time/distance/pace/elevation/calories burned.
    - find a runner or two that runs at "YOUR" pace. It is a cardinal sin to try to run at someone else's pace and vice versa
    - if/when running in poorly lit hours, please invest in reflective running gear. I see way too many people running in the AM or PM hours in "DARK" clothing. They may look cool but you can't see them... Considering all of the texting and distracted driving going on these days, we need all lf the help we can get.

Thanks for asking for input