Couch to 5k

Options
ksizzle911
ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
A co-worker of mine originally brought this program to my attention a few weeks ago when we both decided we were going to do the "Shamrock Shuffle" in Madison, WI. I thought to myself, "How in the world am I going to be able to run 3 miles when I've never even been able to run 1 mile?!" This program is AWESOME. It gives you a complete breakdown week by week on what you should be doing to make yourself into a runner! If anyone is interested, just Google or Bing "couch to 5k" and it should come up for you. I will be starting week 2 on Sunday 1/22/12 and I can already tell I'm improving! Good luck to everyone. I'll keep you updated on how my running skills are developing!

Replies

• Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for sharing ksizzle911! I actually checked it out and the training program seems easy to follow, with goals that are attainable. I will begin this training next week and I recommend everyone here to check this out! Ksizzzle911 is ready to do this and I am too... Who else is down?? Let's do this!!!! :drinker:

By the way, here's the link to the program (Thanks ksizzle911!! :smile: )

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • dancingincircles84
    Options
    I really like C25K.
    I used a slightly different program called 5K101 because it had a free podcast to listen to while running that told you when to walk and run. I did week 4 for a day, 4-2 for another day and then I did week 5 for a while until it got so cold outside that I stopped running and focused on biking in the gym instead. I really want to get back into running and I think I'll probably go back to doing week 5 of C25K and go from there.

I highly recommend it.
  • jsunshine220
    Options
    Hello,

I pulled up the C25K program and am looking forward to getting started. Good luck everyone!! :smile:
  • Ely160
    Options
    @dancingincircles84- Cool! Did you lose any weight when you first started running? I became motivated with this whole running stuff because my uncle is a professional runner and his wife (my aunt, who just started for fun) loves it and lost a ton of weight...FAST! The best thing that I like is that after a while, you don't have to be so careful about your calorie intake because your metabolism shoots up so high, anything you eat is being "burnt" by the second, especially while you sleep! Thanks for sharing!

@jsunshine220- I'm planning to do this every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (And have Tuesdays and Thursdays to rest!). We're going to do this and nothing can stop us!!

Please remember to keep us posted of your improvements and achievements; it'll motivate all of us and help understand that if someone could do it, we can too! It's time to wake up the runner in us!!
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I was an avid runner a few years ago but had to stop due to an injury. I am ready to start back doing one of the activities I love.
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to be a runner for a long time. I am a walker and have completed several races, including a half marathon. Not competitively, but for exercise.

My concern is my knees. I have lost over 20 lbs, so I know that helps and I am bicycling to strengthen my knees. Still, I would love to become a jogger. I am going to give this a try!

I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing on this new chapter for us. :happy:
  • 139pilotwife
    139pilotwife Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started the program at the beginning of Jan again so I started at Week2. But to help build up my endurance and strengthen my muscles I repeat each week BUT try to increase run speed. For those with iPhones (possibly other smartphones too) there is an app you can download that prompts you when to run/walk & you can add some tunes too.
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am finishing week 3 tomorrow. I was NEVER a runner. Heck, I don't think of myself as one now, I am just too big still (in my opinion) to be a real runner. So when I committed to "running" the Shamrock Run (5k) on March 18, I decided to try the c25k program.

I am not sure if I am going to move on to week 4 next week, the 3 min runs have been hard for me. I can't seem to breathe right (if that makes sense). It's like I am gasping. I slow down and it helps, but I know I need to condition my lungs. Probably doesn't help I have a cold right now that's settled in my chest. :frown: But I am going to go tomorrow and do day 3 and see how I do. I might repeat day 3 again on Tuesday to see how I do. Plus my knees are giving me issues. But I see the Chiro on Tuesday (before I run).

I run on Tues, Thurs. Sunday. I train in Taekwondo on Mon, Wed, Sat. So my only rest day is Fri. It's a lot of training, but it's helping my weight loss. I've really upped the losses since I started! So I am thrilled. :happy:
  • banananisme
    banananisme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll start tomorrow! :-) It gets a bit less cold here & I'm all about running again! :-)
    I do some yoga & the 30 day shred is about to finish for me :-)
  • sammibob
    Options
    Im in!
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started C to 5K and I have trouble breathing, so I just start by doing half the day and then repeat until i get strong enough to finish it. Just remember, its about getting healthier and stronger!!! Its fun! I found the app on my Ipod!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hello Group!

I hope it's ok that I've joined you. A week ago I graduated from the C25k program and am continuing in my journey. I think I will always incorporate walking into my runs, as it's a good way to be able to keep running without injury. This is the method used by Jeff Galloway. Anyway, I wanted to encourage you all in your C25k efforts. What a great program!!

I'm 51 years old and was about 50 lbs overweight when I started the program. I've lost a bit over 10 lbs and can now run for 30 minutes non-stop! Granted, I'm slow, but I keep moving! At my current pace, I cover about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. My goal is to increase my speed and get closer to a 30 min 5k time. My latest 5k time was 39:06. I was quite happy with that as my previous times were always in the 41-42 min time! I have several 5k's scheduled this year and would like to do a 10k too! I even ordered a Jeff Galloway book about half marathon training!! Unbelievable!

I look forward to supporting all of you in your C25k journey! I think we can all learn from each other and be a great support system! Anyone can feel free to "friend" me and/or message me with any questions that I may be able to answer about C25k.

Good luck!

Lori
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Running hurts me right now (knees and back), but I already have this program downloaded and it's what I plan to use to train for my first 5k (well, the first one where I plan to actually do any running that is).

OP great suggestion for everyone!
  • Ely160
    Options
    Wow, this is awesome guys!! I used to be a runner but I started having kids and allowed my weight to get in the way. I became sick physically and mentally. Running does not only make you feel in control of your body, it makes you feel in control of your life! Let's do this!!!! It's going to be a fun and memorable experience!!! :drinker: Cheers to all the runners here!
  • Ely160
    Options
    Running hurts me right now (knees and back), but I already have this program downloaded and it's what I plan to use to train for my first 5k (well, the first one where I plan to actually do any running that is).

OP great suggestion for everyone!

Take it easy (I remember when just WALKING used to hurt!). Go at your own pace and you will get there. Good luck!!!
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I have a lot of experience of being motivated, going too hard because I "should be able to", injuring myself and giving up. I am glad that you are wise enough to take it easy. Walking is a great exercise, and I have done it for many years. I am ready to try something new, and hopefully lose even more weight. Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just Joined the group and wanted to tell everyone Good Luck on C25K. I did it about 18 months ago and it works great! Now i'm getting back into running after a long project at work that consumed most of my time. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, just remember running is just like walking "all you do is put one foot in front of the other."
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Hi, everyone - I'm in! I'm starting a fitness challenge at my local health club tomorrow, and I've been told that in 8 weeks, we're all expected to "do" a 5K. Although I'm sure they'll let me walk it, I've decided I'm going to run it. I have an interval timer on my watch that I use for the intervals. I wish I had known about the free podcast!

What do they say ''slow and easy wins the race." That'll be us. Have a great run!
    Clelia
  • Sarahriley12
    Options
    Hi All,

I have just this minute registered with myfitness pal. I go on holiday in August and need to loose 40lb's to feel comfortable. I used to run when I was younger and really enjoyed it. Now I have th extra weight I find it very hard.

I will look into the c25k deffo! ... I live right next to the beach which is lovely to run along and clear your head..(Just need to do it!)

We shall do this...Motivation helps alot!

Sarah :) x
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I just completed my first day of the program. I did a 5 min brisk walk at 3.0 mph. I did my walking at 2.0 mph and my jogging at 3.0 mph. I did the 20 minutes with no problems. Total distance .91. When I went to record my exercise I had to select the walking because the Fitness Pal begins at a 5.0 mph running pace.

I plan to complete the program and run in a 5K this Spring.

Good luck to everyone as you begin the program.