Duathlon

Options
RAFValentina
RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
Hello all! So,

I'm a runner by nature, but cross train on a gym bike and elliptical. I've fancied my hand at something combining the two sports, and thought of Duathlon.

I've been out and about on real bikes before, predominately mountain bikes... I decided that I prefer the pedalling aspect of biking to the going downhill over lots of rocks/around trees at warp factor snot and almost taking myself out...

I've just put down the deposit on my first ROAD bike... its a CUBE Aerial 2011 (from the performance range -entry level bike cost ~ £700 when it was current season but I've bought it for less that £580)

Just wondering, how on Earth/where can I join a Duathlon club (or do you join a tri-club and be a duathlete within?) and where is a good website/place to find out where all the duathlon events are and when?

I really hate swimming with a passion, I'm not a water baby, I freak out a little bit in water especially when out of breath. I can swim, but I'm not exceptionally good at swimming and have no desire to be. I can get by and even trained as a lifeguard, but basically, I get absolutely NO enjoyment out of it!

Ideas? Suggestions? General advice about getting into the "sport"?

Thanks in advance, greatly!

Valentina x

Replies

• Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tri clubs welcome Duathletes especially as they tend to do Duathlons in their "Off Season"

Human Race do a lot of Duathlons, and you can fine some on the Triathletes World website

I'd highly recommend the off road Duathlons though. Great fun for the none serious competitor (like me)
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I shall look further in to that! :)
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Given that you're saying £ and not $ for the price of your bike, I shall assume you are in the UK, and suggest that you look on the BTF (British triathlon) website for lists of races.

I would guess that most people racing a duathlon are people who also do triathlon, though there are people who just do duathlon, and people who are basically runners or cyclists who fancy doing something a bit different! Certainly a tri club should welcome you along.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I am doing my first duathlon this summer as part of a Triathlon Series and I know several of the triathletes and tri clubs in the area are doing it as well, so I would assume tri clubs in other areas welcome duathletes as well. Most people I know who do duathlons cite the same thing you did: they do not enjoy swimming at all and would absolutely be miserable training for the swim part of a triathlon. I don't know a triathlete who would not lend a hand to someone strictly interested in duathlons.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Sweet, thanks for the advice guys and info. And yes, British gal, through and through! :)