Sleeping. What is UP with 2 a.m. ?

Options
harlanJEN
harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
Greetings ! I don't post much to the "dreaded menopause group" LOL ... so Howdy !

I'm 48 and have been, in hindsight, in perimenopause for a few years. My biggest problem is Sleep, or rather, the lack thereof.
I've always been a great sleeper until about 3 years ago. This past year, has been the worst. The past few months, even WORSE.

My prob? Not being able to stay asleep past 2 a.m. (3 a.m. if I"m lucky) no matter what I do, or when I go to sleep. Benadryl, Unisom, Melatonin, GABA, 5-HTP, L-Theanine, Xanax (EGADS!), Ambien (another EGADS!) and nothing , NADA. 2/3 a.m. I'm awake. I've tried going to bed earlier, later -- awake at 2 ! Last night, I was sooo freakin' tired I went to bed at 6:30 p.m. And yep, slept until 2 ! However .. going to bed at 6 to get 8 hours of sleep isn't an option on an everyday basis. I don't load up on caffeine (I'm a mostly water drinker); don't watch TV in bed ; don't do jumping jacks before climbing in .

So ... I can't imagine that anyone has a magic bullet. BUT .. if you do, please share. If you've been down this road and have stumbled off the road onto a much better road - PLEASE say it ends at some point.

Happy Sunday !

Jen

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I had a period of about a year that this was happening to me and it was difficult.

In my case, I had some big stressors in my life.

Once I solved those problems, I was able to sleep. My problems were causing me to be anxious and worried.

Exercise really helps with the stress, too.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Stressors. YES, I definitely have several of those. I'm working on my biggest one now ...
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm recently having problems getting to sleep and its early hours until I get off to sleep, even if i go to bed earlier. on the occasions I ahve got of to sleep quick quick I'm also awake by 2-3am and struggle to get back to sleep.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Stressors. YES, I definitely have several of those. I'm working on my biggest one now ...

Well, I hope it goes away soon.

I even went to my doctor, who tried to tell me five hours was enough sleep. Yeah, no.

I was having trouble losing weight, too.

Again, once I got rid of him, er, the problem, I was able to sleep....not right away, but within a couple weeks :flowerforyou:
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I also find myself up at 2am frequently,most of the time I'm able to get back to sleep within 45 minutes, but some nights I just can't turn my brain off! I get up and start clreaning the house (which is usually what my brain is focused on, all those things I should have done), my husband lovingly jokes about our cleaning fairies. Now I try to just finish my to do list so there's no guilt.
    If anyone has some suggestions please post. I miss my 8 hours!
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have been getting the night sweats and waking up at between 3-4 am regularly. What I found helped me was going to bed really late (like 1-2am) and then I can usually sleep through till 7-8am. Not a great habit but at least I can now get 6 hours uninterrupted sleep, rather than just a couple of hours here and there.

Peri is so tough! :-(
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you... For years I'd wake up at 3:00 am, only to fall back asleep around 5:30 (and the alarm would go off at 6:00). I don't know why or how, but since this past summer, my body returned to its former cycle. I am now sleeping through the night again.

Is it the weight loss, the increased activity or something else? I have no idea, but I'll take it! :smile:
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Jojo, I think the excercise has something to do with sleeping better. On my non workout days I find myself up at 2am and the days I workout I make it until 1/2 hour before the alarm goes off. May be a coincidence, but who am I to question mother nature!
    :laugh:
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I had that issue, but found out the cause was my thyroid going out of control again and put me back to being hypo. Went to the doc, adjusted my meds, and now I'm not only losing weight again, but sleeping well.