My experience with C25K- Starting week of 1/22/12

Options
Ok guys! I've created this discussion forum so that we may all discuss our experiences with the program. You don't have to post anything each time you workout if you don't want to, but at least keep us posted every week! (We can all encourage and support one another more effectively this way! :wink: )

Replies

• taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I just completed my first day of the program. I did a 5 min brisk walk at 3.0 mph. I did my walking at 2.0 mph and my jogging at 3.0 mph. I did the 20 minutes with no problems. Total distance .91. When I went to record my exercise I had to select the walking because the Fitness Pal begins at a 5.0 mph running pace.

I plan to complete the program and run in a 5K this Spring.

Good luck to everyone as you begin the program.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I just completed my first day of the program. I did a 5 min brisk walk at 3.0 mph. I did my walking at 2.0 mph and my jogging at 3.0 mph. I did the 20 minutes with no problems. Total distance .91. When I went to record my exercise I had to select the walking because the Fitness Pal begins at a 5.0 mph running pace.
    Thanks for including all the details! Being a newbie those are some of the hardest things to figure out. I will post my details tomorrow. :smile:
  • lohitverma
    lohitverma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, i also had the question in terms of speed to maintain during the first week
    i understand its not an exact science, and need to do what works for you

I did my day 1 today

5mins at 3.5 mph
    60 seconds at 4.5 mph (bumped it up to 5.5 mph in the last cycle, as i was pumped and feeling good :))
    90 seconds at 4mph (brisk walk)

Please let me know if the above numbers sound right ?
    Any advise is much appreciated
    Thanks
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Today starts week #2 on the Couch to 5k. My first 3 workouts, I walked at a 3.8 for the 5 min warm up, then ran at a 6.0 for the 60 seconds of running (got up to 6.5 towards the end!) and walked between 3.8-4.0 for the 90 seconds of walking inbetween runs. Today I will try and do the same numbers but just increasing the times to 90 seconds running and 2 mins walking. Luckily I have a co-worker coming with me for the after work work-out and she did an Iron Man competition a couple years ago! Talk about pressure! Good Luck to everyone!
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Taylor - were you on a treadmill? I run outside. Is there any way to know how fast (or slow) you're going when you run outside?
  • Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    Taylor - were you on a treadmill? I run outside. Is there any way to know how fast (or slow) you're going when you run outside?

I realized today that the beat for "DJ got us falling in love again" by Usher, goes aprox. 3.5! :laugh: You can use that as a "reference point" to see if you're going slower or faster than 3.5. JUST AN IDEA! Because I'm not sure if one can be able to know the speed one's going at, if it's not being displayed for us somehow..
  • lohitverma
    lohitverma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if you have a gps enabled phone, there are plenty of apps for this both on iphone and android
  • Ely160
    Options
    I did 30 mins of the program, but only because I told myself (before committing to this challenge) that each workout would be of at least 30 mins each time.

First, I did about 3 mins of walking until I felt comfortable at a speed of 3.5

Then, I jogged for 90 secs at a 4.5 of speed

I alternated that jog with 60 secs of walk at 3.5 of speed

I did this for 30 mins. then walked, slowly decreasing the speed till my body had winded down.

In the beginning, it was a little of a challenge- more than what I had expected (my legs and butt cheeks were itching ALOT! :laugh: But I went at my own pace and slowly but surely my body began to adapt and felt great after a few mins!
  • jsunshine220
    Options
    I just completed my first day. I did a 5 minute warm up....did my jog at 3.0 and my walk at 2.5....and a 5 minute cool down. Because my goal is for 45 minutes of cardio, I also added another 15 minutes of walking at different inclines (3.0 speed)

I must say I didn't think I was going to make it through the C25K routine BUT I did. My legs felt like they were ready to fall off! but I kept pushing. :laugh: I sure do hope this gets better.
  • Kelwalks4
    Options
    Woo-Hoo! Day 1 went well. :happy:

I did some stretches, then a 5 min warm up at 3.0
    Then I alternated 1 min. jog and 1.5 min walk. I did 9 cycles of this, then walked until the end of my 30 minutes.
    I wrote on a Post-It what the numbers were to toggle between walking and jogging so I wouldn't have to keep track.

The thing that I am really excited about is that it was much easier than when I tried this over 20 lbs. heavier.
    Then I did 10 min on the recumbent bike (knee rehab), and some bicep/tricep curls.

Someone had said for tender knees to jog with short, choppy steps as if you are on ice. I did and it felt good. I forgot once or twice and when I readjusted I didn't have any discomfort.

I am pretty excited that tonight went so well. Tomorrow night is Water Zumba.
  • Kelwalks4
    Options
    I just completed my first day. I did a 5 minute warm up....did my jog at 3.0 and my walk at 2.5....and a 5 minute cool down. Because my goal is for 45 minutes of cardio, I also added another 15 minutes of walking at different inclines (3.0 speed)

I must say I didn't think I was going to make it through the C25K routine BUT I did. My legs felt like they were ready to fall off! but I kept pushing. :laugh: I sure do hope this gets better.

45 minutes, that is awesome! It sounds like you had a great start. :smile:
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am repeating week 3, and I've been keeping notes on my blog about how I feel.
    If you are interested in reading it, here it is: http://random-mom-thoughts.blogspot.com/p/c25k-training.html
    I try to keep track of my speeds walking and jogging, as well as my distance gone in the 25-30 minute sessions (25 min. for week 3).

It's getting easier. I was sick the later part of week 3, so day 3 I did the elliptical instead to do some thing different. Hopefully by repeating week 3, I'll be much better off by the end. :happy:
  • jsunshine220
    Options
    Thank you Kelwalks4!! I've started so there is no turning back now. :smile:
  • Kelwalks4
    Options
    Day 2 done! I am so excited it is going well for 2 whole days.:drinker:

I did the same routine as Monday and it went well. My heart rate was about 150, my knee is holding up and I am even excited for Saturday's session!:bigsmile:
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Here is a quote from John Bingham - "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no liscense to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.". I thought this might inspire someone. Good luck everybody!
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Hey everybody - we're mid-way through week 1! Let's give ourselves a pat on the back. We deserve it!
  • jsunshine220
    Options
    Here is a quote from John Bingham - "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no liscense to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.". I thought this might inspire someone. Good luck everybody!

Love it!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Ely160
    Options

It did! Thank you so much! :drinker:
  • Kelwalks4
    Options

Thank you! I have always wanted to be a runner.... I guess according to John Bingham, a respected runner, I am. WOW!:happy: