Newbie: Running and NRoL4W

I'm not a 100% clear on how to incorporate running into my workouts. I enjoy running and yoga, so as of my 4B workout tonight I've been running indoors on a treadmill for 30 minutes after my weight routine. I do my yoga on the recovery days. Just wanted to hear thoughts on whether this is 'maintainable' for the duration of the program. Thanks!

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    I prefer to do my intense cardio on non-lifting days, just because it leaves me more energy for the lifts. I do do a little bit of cardio warm-up and cool-down though on weight days. I also like yoga so I usually do that on my "rest" day. If you do really intense yoga though, it may not be quite restful enough.

I'm at the end of stage 1 and had no problems maintaining throughout. Looking at later workouts, you may find it hard to do 30 minutes of running plus a 90 minute lifting/HIIT workout. You should start reading ahead to the later stages now and come up with a plan to accomodate yourself. That way when you get there, you'll already know what you're going to do and be more likely to stick with it.
  • purplelipstick
    purplelipstick Posts: 7 Member
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Re-read pages 26-27 and 231-236.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    I prefer to do my intense cardio on non-lifting days, just because it leaves me more energy for the lifts. I do do a little bit of cardio warm-up and cool-down though on weight days. I also like yoga so I usually do that on my "rest" day. If you do really intense yoga though, it may not be quite restful enough.

I'm at the end of stage 1 and had no problems maintaining throughout. Looking at later workouts, you may find it hard to do 30 minutes of running plus a 90 minute lifting/HIIT workout. You should start reading ahead to the later stages now and come up with a plan to accomodate yourself. That way when you get there, you'll already know what you're going to do and be more likely to stick with it.

Agree with this. I separate lifting and non-lifting days, because I feel if I try to do both on the same day, one of them will suffer.

My current schedule is

MWF - lifting days (5 min cardio warm-up/cool-down)
    T - interval running
    Th - incline work on treadmill
    Sat - rest day
    Sun - tempo or distance run

I would also note that in the stages that incorporate interval training, I kept up this routine, since my schedule also had an interval day scheduled.