comfort eating and how do we combat it??

Options
:Have been a huge comfort eater for as long as I can remember!! But its something I have struggled to combat!! anyone else suffer with this and how do we stop doing it?? i know its a common thing many people suffer from and that's why i feel its a good topic to discuss.

Replies

• blueyez74
    blueyez74 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know it all too well, especially at work or just out of pure boredom! I think we just made a step in realizing this is what we do, recognize and try to have the will power to STOP! I took pictures of myself in just a bra and panties (maybe too much information) and I hated what I saw, sometimes when I find myself on a binge, I pull those pics out and sometimes it is enough to make me stop! sometimes I switch out the food for a cup of hot tea, other times I find myself trying to purge my cabinets of the bad food. (that doesn't work as I have a husband and two children and it ends up back there)
  • Cheylaing
    Options
    I also am comfort eater and sometimes can swerve it a little but other times I just CAN'T and I won't even stop myself..i let myself believe i'll just pig out and get it out my system lol but just doesn't work sometimes..i also don't have any solutions to this problem but would LOVE if anyone has any tho lol x x
  • ChristinaSears
    Options
    i am a comfort eater also! funny how it only comforts me while i am eating it! then after the guilt sets in! You would think Id remember that BEFORE i put it in my mouth!!!!
  • Fuzz1980
    Options
    I hear you all!! I cant seem to stop some days and i hate the feeling after but yet that too dont stop me..i will tell u one thing i have done and that is put a picture of myself on the fridge and the snack cupboard of me when I was skinny..it certainly brings it home to me thats how i want to look and not how i look now. I have limited myself and i allowed myself a treat as i think if u stop urself completely you end up craving it more. my diet is still a work in progress but i do try keep within my calorie intake and exercise a lot. xx
  • Cheylaing
    Options
    i am a comfort eater also! funny how it only comforts me while i am eating it! then after the guilt sets in! You would think Id remember that BEFORE i put it in my mouth!!!!
    yeah thats so true I so wish I can feel the regret that I feel afterwards before I start...but it just takes over an I think f@ck it i'll just eat more and more and make up for it sometime..but never do lol..things are gonna change now tho...cause that feeling of satisfaction while eating like a pig does not nearly compair to the amazing feeling knowing u done great that day an didn't mess up an you feel that little bit tighter or smaller when you wake up the next morning..love that haha
  • Cheylaing
    Options
    I hear you all!! I cant seem to stop some days and i hate the feeling after but yet that too dont stop me..i will tell u one thing i have done and that is put a picture of myself on the fridge and the snack cupboard of me when I was skinny..it certainly brings it home to me thats how i want to look and not how i look now. I have limited myself and i allowed myself a treat as i think if u stop urself completely you end up craving it more. my diet is still a work in progress but i do try keep within my calorie intake and exercise a lot. xx
    I have the picture on the fridge to lol..i like my exercise to but seem to eat all my calories and more..but as I say things change from now...starting tmro..set exercise and cals and no going over x
  • ChristinaSears
    Options
    totally agree Cheylaing, I have been doing "pretty" good these past few days! Eating more protein and watching my calories! My favorite snacks i divided up into single servings into snack size baggies and allow myself two a day BUT not the same two! And the past few days I have even skipped them on maybe one day LOL hey well, nobody said we couldn't have our favs at all! only that we need to be more careful with them! I used to dump the cheese itz snack mix on a paper towel and then go to town eating them! then i found an iphone app called "fooducate" and scanned the barcode only to find out that its one of the most processed snacks out there PLUS has an addictive something in it that makes us crave more! ummmm no wonder i couldnt stop until the bag was empty!!!!! one day at a time! its a habit just like anything else! just gotta stick with it! eventually it becomes ingrained in our little heads!!!
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do is I say to myself....i know what this taste like...I've had it a thousand times and when I get down to where I want to be I can have it again...just not like I use to...moderation is key...