Daily Tip for Today (#3)

Options
Turn bad food choices into something good - for every bad thing you eat or drink, take that frustration out in exercise.

Take a walk during lunch with like-minded co-workers. You're probably not the only one thinking about it but you might be the first one to speak up and lead the group!

Get in a half hour early and check out your building's mini-gym. You might be surprised at what you find!

Don't let your desk job slowly kill you. Do the 7th-inning stretch at work, every 45 minutes - get up, stretch your arms and walk around and clear your mind. It's actually productive to take small breaks.

Take the stairs, not the elevator. After a while, it becomes habit and you won't even realize you're exercising!

Calories count, so if you're going to slip once in a while, it's okay - you might as well get something out of it.

It's all in how you look at it.

Replies

• mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. And you know you can even challenge yourself. I get to the kids school 30 mins early so I can walk round the block. Exactly 1 mile. First time took me 30 minutes ... Yesterday was 17 minutes and I didn't even need my asthma meds. First time in years and I left my meds home. When I make it in 15 minutes I will extend the distance. After a while it becomes fun and you find it a lot easier to stretch yourself for that next goal. But, one word of advice. Keep the goals small. That way you find it easier to reach them and you feel you are achieving more.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Excellent tips!

And well done mrFerris! You really shaved some time off your original pace :)

My work place consists of a three room bungalow... but I do try move around each hour. I offer to make the other staff their drinks and snacks while I go fill my water glass... gets me off my feet for a few mins each hour :) It also gets me brownie points with the bosses ;)
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Calories count, so if you're going to slip once in a while, it's okay - you might as well get something out of it.

I slipped into a bottle of Dr. Pepper yesterday!! 250 calories for that sucker! I lived to tell the story!!

Today I got back up on the horse and I'm focused!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I slipped into a bottle of Dr. Pepper yesterday!! 250 calories for that sucker! I lived to tell the story!!

Great tips today! VADERANDBILL have you tried Diet Dr.Pepper?? It is very good!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Great tips today! VADERANDBILL have you tried Diet Dr.Pepper?? It is very good!

I have tried and I like but the machine at work only had regular. I was craving the carbonation more than anything. I try to avoid it but I'm ok with the slip because I was a 2-3 bottle/day person for a long time and now I go weeks without it.
  • AndreaG170
    AndreaG170 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and inspiration! I just joined a few days ago, and I'm pumped. Haven't lost any weight since I joined (actually gained 0.4 lbs, whatever that means), but I'm feeling good about it. I'm lucky because I'm in furniture sales and our store is huge, so I get tons of walking in alllll day long. Plus, I always jump in and help if a sofa needs to be moved or a picture needs to be hung on the wall. Between all that and shoveling snow the last couple days, my back isn't too happy, but I know when to ease up a bit.

Good job, everyone! Mr Ferris, that's awesome that you didn't have to use your meds. If anyone's seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Joe Cross was on medications that he eventually got to get off of completely because of the changes he made in his health. I definitely recommend anyone watch it. The juice diet is definitely not for everyone (myself included; I tried it and wasn't happy on it), but the movie inspired me to start getting healthier, regardless of how I do it.

I'm happy I joined myfitnesspal, and thanks for inviting me to join this group! Looking forward to sharing support and motivation.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. And you know you can even challenge yourself. I get to the kids school 30 mins early so I can walk round the block. Exactly 1 mile. First time took me 30 minutes ... Yesterday was 17 minutes and I didn't even need my asthma meds. First time in years and I left my meds home. When I make it in 15 minutes I will extend the distance. After a while it becomes fun and you find it a lot easier to stretch yourself for that next goal. But, one word of advice. Keep the goals small. That way you find it easier to reach them and you feel you are achieving more.

That's awesome! Gets easier and then you do it without really thinking about it, second nature!

BUT please, please, please be cautious about not taking the asthma meds with you, Paul.

I don't want to think about the unthinkable, but that part worries me. I have a daughter who has asthma, so I know what could happen and I don't want you to get hurt, as corny as that sounds.

Small goals at first - good suggestion, too. :flowerforyou:

~katie
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I have tried and I like but the machine at work only had regular. I was craving the carbonation more than anything. I try to avoid it but I'm ok with the slip because I was a 2-3 bottle/day person for a long time and now I go weeks without it.

If it's just the carbonation you crave, would you be willing to try a low-cal flavored water?

Some brands are carbonated and they even taste, well, decent (not great, but okay).

That way, you're not drinking all your calories away.

~katie