What range are your carbs/ calories/ fats/ proteins

Options
starsnyc21
starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
Hi Medifaster,

I'm asking this questions because I'm finding it hard to stay within the guidelines of 80-85 carbs, 800-1000 calories. My Medifast meals alone can push me to 77 carbs a day. How do you than work in all your greens and your lean meal. I was eating broccoli and notice that it's was 4 carbs per 2 spears. Mind you I didn't get any veggies for the day so I was trying to eat at least a cup but it would have pushed me way out of my carb range.

Do some of you go over the 85 carbs? Does this hurt your weight loss a lot? I'm even finding it hard to hit 100 grams of protein. Not that it say it any where but man everyday is a balancing act just want to get your thoughts.

Replies

• cm1479
    cm1479 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, starsnyc21.

It looks like you have had great success thus far! Congratulations on your 49 pound loss!

A mild dietary ketosis state can be achieved if you are under 100g of carbohydrates a day, with optimal fat burning (ketosis) within 80-85g of carbohydrates a day. If your Medifast meals alone are pushing you to 77g, look at what meal replacements you're choosing. The meals are interchangeable in the senses that they have the same "blueprint". All of your 24 vitamins and minerals. But, their macro-nutrient splits are not the same (carb/fat/protein splits).

The carbohydrate ranges for most Medifast Meals are 11-16, with the lowest being the Diabetic Shakes,Cranberry Mango Drink, and a few other items at 10g. If you are choosing meals that are 15g for the whole day, it would definitely not give you much room for your higher carbohydrate vegetables in your lean and green. Also, are you using the Maintenance bars (green boxes). You technically CAN have 1 a day but those have around 22g of carbohydrates per bar.

Another factor is optional snacks. Are you using optional snacks every day even if you are not hungry. The soy crisps and crackers will throw you over.

What about condiments? Condiments can be sneaky, especially "sugar free" products. Sugar free, does not mean carbohydrate free. It just means table sugar is not used to sweeten the product. Artificial sweeteners still have trace amounts of carbohydrates. The purpose for having a limit of 3 condiments a day is because even though an item like Crystal light is marked on the nutrition label " Carbohydrate 0g", the FDA allows for a product to say 0 until there is a whole gram in the serving. Here is an example:

1 packet of Crystal Light has 2 servings. The serving size says 5 calories, 0g Carbohydrate, and 0g Sugar.
    you can safely assume that 1 serving can have up to .9 grams of carbohydrate until the label HAS to say 1g. I used to drink about 6 whole packets of crystal light before medifast. That's almost 11 extra grams of carbs I would have in a day if I did that now- not to mention 60 calories too. Sneaky sneaky sneaky.

What kind of protein are you using? Meatless vegetarian meat have extra carbohydrates that are not going to be found in animal protein.

Here is the link to all of the nutrition data for the products, so you can see which products might work better for you.
    https://docs.google.com/viewerurl=http://www.medifastmedia.com/shared/docs/product_nutrition_quick_profile.pdf

I am typically at or around 80g of carbohydrates a day. I'll add you as a friend and you can look at my food diary to compare. Let me know if this helped you or if you have any other questions. :)

Clarissa
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Clarrisa, this is very helpful information. I think I'm having some trouble with the condiments and the snack and the veggies. It's hard to balance it all.

I can't get the google doc to come up.
  • cm1479
    cm1479 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I get to my computer I'll find the link. :) it probably was too long.
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Day 1 looking for Medifast buddies :)
  • jsoders
    jsoders Posts: 8
    Options
    You can add me as a friend because I started three days ago and need more friends on here to hold me accountable.
  • jeepie98
    jeepie98 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cmthorsness & jsoders you can friend me! Always looking for support & inspiration! Welcome!
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to count anything...just follow the plan 100% u will drop weight as long as your carbs r in the 80-100g range your fat is 10-30g and your protein is 70g or more for the day as well sodium is under 2300mg...in my experience when I had more weight to lose I dropped more like .6-.8lbs a day when my carbs were 70-75g when they were 80g to 85/90g I would drop .4-.6lbs a day...but everyone's body works diff choose veggies that don't have carbs like lettuce as well tilapia and 99% fat free chicken breast have no carbs...play with it for a week and see what u results u get eliminate your snacks and track everything u put in. Your mouth even condiments;)
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well lettuce has some but not much;)
  • cmmattison
    cmmattison Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dont know what your eating, but I notice on days that I want to lose more weight, I eat pan-seared tilapia and either broccoli florets, or spinach. On days I eat this Im only at 80 total carbs, 10 total fat, and 28 total fiber.

When I eat this as my lean and green meal the scale usually comes down between .6 to 1.2 pounds. I also notice, the earlier I can eat my lean and green meal, the better the results, and also, I take about a 20 minute walk after I eat my meal. I dont know if this is just me, or if this is something maybe you could incorporate, but it does seem to work.