:) Introduce yourself ! :)

Options
Hi !
I'm just starting MFP and Hula hoop will be a great way to burn calories in short time ! :)
Besides, I bellydance, tribal fusion, and i love crafts like knitting and sewing ...

I've discovered hula hoop 2-3 years ago i think, with a Safire video, and i immediatly started to learn hoop dance thank to Ehow videos and other youtube tutorials. Because there was no french speaking community at this time, i've created the french community on http://hulahoop.nice-board.com/

my youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/Mambba

ps: pardon my english, i'm french indeed :)

Replies

• Hooping4Life
    Options
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    How exciting! A hoop group :) I hope it grows more... my name is Lori and I have been hooping for almost two years now. Feel free to check out my youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KandeeSeaStar?feature=guide
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi, My name is Betty. I am 62 years old and I just found about a month ago about exercising with weighted hoola hoops. I am a Queen of a Red Hat Chapter in Minnesota. As the queen I am always on the look out for fun and zany activities for our monthly FunFests. I spotted this ad in a community education flyer about a school teacher who was giving lessons on losing weight by exerecising with weighted hoola hoops. I thought it sounded so fun and unique I asked her to teach a class at our January FunFest. A few of the gals purchased the hoops, including myself. Since hooping, I am finding that it is also strenghing my lower back. It doesn't hurt as much anymore at all. Thank God!

I started hoola hooping for 10 minutes, then 15, then 30, then 35, then 45 and last night I actually did it for an hour. It is a FUN way of exercising. Goofy thing is while hooping, my arms are up in the air most of the time. It's my armpits that hurt!!!!

I am looking for variations for hooping. I do change positions to exercise different muscles but want more options. I really am a novice here.

I am grateful to find this group to join. Who knew?? I never never could hoola hoop with an ordinary hoop. But I can with my weighted hoola hoop.
  • Hooping4Life
    Options
    Betty, look on youtube. There are THOUSANDS of hooping exercises. Look for off the body hooping, arm hooping, chest hooping. There are several beginner things you can learn that really work the rest of your body. Happy Hooping!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello, hoopers! I'm Summer, and I've been hooping since last July. I love it! I take hoop dance classes once a week, and on the weekends I dance and hoop at a great drum circle on the beach.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm Jenna, 30 days ago I couldn't keep my hula hoop up for more than 20 secs but last week I kept it up for 10 whole minutes. LOVE it as do my 2 daughters x
  • ttonks
    ttonks Posts: 9
    Options
    That's awesome Jenna! now that you can keep it up, you should try doing toe touches to the front, back and sides while hooping!
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    Congrats on your progress in hoola hooping. My husband also started hoola hooping today. He managed 10 minutes! The grandkids loved it because hooping tends to make one burb and fart. Ever Experience that????!!! Same is true for Grandma!! LOL
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm Holly. I always enjoyed hula hooping as a child, okay as an adult too! I recently ordered a hoop from Hoopnotica that arrived on Saturday and it's so much easier to work with than the kids size! Having lots of fun playing in it. Looking forward to learning how to do more things in it and considering the idea of becoming a hooping instructor as well.

There doesn't seem to be very many active hoopers on the hoop group. Perhaps a hooping challenge to get things going..?
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Jennifer. I've been hooping on and off for about 6 months, but have really started doing it more regularly the last few weeks. Nothing fancy, as I've just been doing it in my apartment and would prefer not to take out any of the lamps! I'm planning on joining the local YMCA next weekend, and they have a weighted hooping class which looks like fun. I've never used a weighted hoop before. Do you find you burn more calories with a weighted hoop? Was a little disappointed when I got an HRM to find I was only burning about 40-50 calories per 10 minutes with my current hoop. The estimates you read online are so much higher!
  • ttonks
    ttonks Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Jennifer! Most adult sized hoops are naturally weighted because they're made from a heavier tubing. I'm assuming you've been using a child sized hoop? If so, you'll be really impressed with how much easier an adult sized one is!!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    Hello! I am Rebecca Morning...."morninglilli" here. I have been a hoop dancer for a little over 2 years. I am super excited to find other hoopers here!!!!! I am looking forward to reading and getting to know other hoopers on the road to fitness!
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer! Most adult sized hoops are naturally weighted because they're made from a heavier tubing. I'm assuming you've been using a child sized hoop? If so, you'll be really impressed with how much easier an adult sized one is!!

Oh no. I have an adult size hoop. I just thought when one said weighted they meant more of an exercise hoop rather than a dance type hoop. Still learning all this stuff! :)
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I ran a small hoop shop (hoopenanigans) for a while, but recently shut down to go back to a better paying job. But if anyone has any questions about hoops, sizes, weights, uses please feel free to ask! :)
    Typically the weighted hoops are used for fitness. Adult hoops, typically made from PE irrigation tubing , are used for both fitness and for beginner hoop dance. If hoopers want to move forward in their dance, and technique they typically go to smaller lighter hoops to help with speed and response time.
  • Exene123
    Exene123 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sasha. I've been hooping for about 2 years off and on. I'm hoping to hoop more to lose weight and to learn some more tricks. =)

Happy Hooping.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, I'm glad you posted your HRM comment - I'd always thought the "600 calories an hour" claim sounded a bit unrealistic, so when I added hoop flow as one of my exercises, I put it in at 300 calories an hour. Glad to know I made a good guess!

As for the calorie burn difference between a weighted hoop and a dance hoop, I'd think that if you were *only* waist hooping, the weighted hoop would burn more calories. But with a dance hoop, you can do so many more things - lifts and overhead moves, jump-throughs, tosses - all of which would amp up the calorie burn!

I'd be down for a hooping challenge, too. Maybe something for May?
  • morninglilli
    Options
    300 per hour does sound more realistic, unless you are power hooping, or rocking it out at a workshop!
    I can't seem to pull up the new additions for some reason. I can only find the 600/hr hooping one.
  • DeeBurge
    DeeBurge Posts: 5
    Options
    HELLO EVERYONE!
    My name is Danielle and Im 22yrs old. I love hula hooping! It is a fun and a good way to get some exercise! I currently only know a handful of tricks and I also make practice weighted hoops. I do wish I had more to time to hoop and learn more trick but I work night shift and work alot so it is hard to find time. I find out about hula hooping exercising and tricks from a music festival I went to about 2 years ago and feel in love with it! Happy Hooping!!!!!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I finally got a hula hoop!!!! Now trying to keep it up is going to be another story.
  • oneparrot
    oneparrot Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to MFP ..Just found this group.. I practised hooping 2 years ago in a fitness center on my own and I loved it.
    I could not contnue after I left the fitness center. .I want to start it again at home .. I dont know how much weight the hoop was .. i found a

Danskin Now 2.5 lb Fitness Hoop in walmart and want to buy it... is 2.5 lb to much for pretty much beginner like me ?
    is any one using it ?

does hooping help to shape the waist and reduce the belly fat ? what is the average time we should hoop to see the actual results ?

Feel free to friend me ..