Bad Week

Options
apesid
apesid Posts: 135 Member
I've really gotten off track with my binge eating. I've binged every day this week. Ugh. It's like I'm back to where I started. Why can't I just fix this?!?

Any advice/support appreciated!

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing that well either this week. I'm really trying to reel it in! At least for today!

I really could use more support...why is this group so inactive? I am going to make the effort to post something daily. I hope others will join me.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i had some awful days the last month where i binged on chocolate out of control. i am trying so hard to get back on track. i wonder sometimes if when we get closer to goal weight if our bodies have more binges because they think we need more fat on them?
  • apesid
    Options
    i had some awful days the last month where i binged on chocolate out of control. i am trying so hard to get back on track. i wonder sometimes if when we get closer to goal weight if our bodies have more binges because they think we need more fat on them?

I'm nowhere near goal weight - so that's not the problem for me! :)
  • MJ7910
    Options

I'm nowhere near goal weight - so that's not the problem for me! :)

but it could be that maybe your body knows you used to weigh a little bit more and it's trying to regain the weight with binging? that is the only thing i can figure with this. it seems to be getting worse now that i've lost 26lb. like it wants me to be heavier.
  • karacakes77
    karacakes77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a very bad weekend and then felt a binge coming on Monday so I had a snack and then took a nap. Tuesday and Wednesday were fine. then today one of my biggest triggers (having the house to myself) happened so I fought it by chewing gum and getting on the treadmill. I struggle day to day and somedays I can overcome them and other days I can't. Trying to make it 5 days without a binge so we'll see how the rest of today and tomorrow goes. I really don't have any advice.
  • 1leahsb
    1leahsb Posts: 12
    Options
    Karacakes, you can do it! One day at a time, 5 days you can do it!!

I can contribute more to the group. Maureen, I know exactly how you feel! The more weight I lose the worse I binge. Its like physically and emotionally my body demands I go right back to where I started. Sometime I feel like subconsciously I don't want to be happy, because Its unknown territory. I've never been completely happy with my body so its like I have an attachment to the feeling of not liking it. (Side note! I know I am completely blessed having a job and friends and a roof over my head, I know there are way worse things to worry about than my body image but that's just part of being a binge-eater, at least for me.) I know it sounds crazy but that's a theory. I have probably had four or five month-long or longer stints of eating healthy and exercising - and being really happy everyday! - which resulted in some pretty good weight loss, and I demolished all of them in a week-long period. I don't understand it. I can see the change in the mirror and instead of continuing to become more motivated, I completely lose it. I just snap and get out of control. Its so weird and frustrating. Starting over is the most emotionally draining feeling in the world.

I just ended one such episode. I lost all of my holiday weight and then some and I'm back almost to where I started. I know how to diet and exercise though so now that I'm back in it I'm back in it. I just never know for how long or when the next time I'm going to lose it is. I crossed a day off on my countdown to summer - it was a good day :)
  • apesid
    Options
    I made it yesterday without a binge! Yay! I had pizza for dinner (family pizza movie night!) but I kept my calories under my goal.

Here's to making it 2 days in a row!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've had midterms, finals, and SAT this week and i literally binged every single day for a week and a half :(
    im gonna start new today and try not to binge
    in december, i literally binged like 3/4 the month :(
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I made it yesterday without a binge! Yay! I had pizza for dinner (family pizza movie night!) but I kept my calories under my goal.

Here's to making it 2 days in a row!

that is great. today is start over for me... didn't log the past 2 days
  • MJ7910
    Options
    Karacakes, you can do it! One day at a time, 5 days you can do it!!

I can contribute more to the group. Maureen, I know exactly how you feel! The more weight I lose the worse I binge. Its like physically and emotionally my body demands I go right back to where I started. Sometime I feel like subconsciously I don't want to be happy, because Its unknown territory. I've never been completely happy with my body so its like I have an attachment to the feeling of not liking it. (Side note! I know I am completely blessed having a job and friends and a roof over my head, I know there are way worse things to worry about than my body image but that's just part of being a binge-eater, at least for me.) I know it sounds crazy but that's a theory. I have probably had four or five month-long or longer stints of eating healthy and exercising - and being really happy everyday! - which resulted in some pretty good weight loss, and I demolished all of them in a week-long period. I don't understand it. I can see the change in the mirror and instead of continuing to become more motivated, I completely lose it. I just snap and get out of control. Its so weird and frustrating. Starting over is the most emotionally draining feeling in the world.

I just ended one such episode. I lost all of my holiday weight and then some and I'm back almost to where I started. I know how to diet and exercise though so now that I'm back in it I'm back in it. I just never know for how long or when the next time I'm going to lose it is. I crossed a day off on my countdown to summer - it was a good day :)

that is very insightful for me. i think maybe i am having trouble feeling comfortable looking good. i know i could look like this and maintain it but maybe i was comfortable heavier and not having to be responsible for keeping eating in check each day and being disciplined with exercise. it was easier to just eat whatever i wanted and not worry about the consequences. after all, that is what everyone around me does. they just eat whatever and nothing happens to them. in a way it's a rebelliousness after being so disciplined for months now. new plan is to eat what i normally eat for breakfast, lunch, snacks and then see what i have left for dinner, maybe allow myself one little treat if i stay within calories.. maybe that will make me feel less deprived. let's hope anyway.
  • 1leahsb
    Options
    liveyourlifex: Its okay! Tomorrow is a new day. I know you know that but sometimes its good to hear from other people. It's a NEW DAY. I completely understand about finals! When I was in college there was a couple semesters where I would eat like a pint of ice cream every day I had a test. My recommendation to you (this is what I've done many times), since your calories have been high for a while, don't launch right into a diet, just focus on eating when you're hungry but don't think about calories. I call them "transition days" - those are "good days" too! Let yourself come down from the binging days, then ease back into your diet. "Transition days" help me cope with guilt and prevent crazy restricting which is what we all want to do after a binge. Be kind to yourself and OWN the rest of the week!! Hope your exams have been going well!

Apesid: YEAH GIRL YOU FUGGIN ROCK!! Pizza is the ultimate binge food so, yeah you rock.

MaureenJ79: I can see how it might be frustrating to finally get to where you want and instead of feeling free (like you'd think) you still feel trapped by the grind. Truth is, any time you get off any diet you will immediately gain a few pounds. Not because you are going over your limit at all, just because you have more food in your system and more water. Not to mention, your body is going to hold onto it because its been used to getting less calories. I don't know how long you've been at your maintenance calories but be patient, give it long enough to plateau. It will go up and plateau. I would also suggest in order to feel less like you are having to work to maintain, do things that are not "exercise." Go for a hike or a walk with a friend. Watch your calories but wait a week before you weigh yourself. I think you've had to be so diligent for so long now that it sounds like its hard for you to just relax and let go. Let goooooo. The WORST thing that is going to happen is your are going to gain 2 pounds. So what?? You're an expert at weight loss, you've proven that, you can lose two pounds easily. BUT, don't worry about the two pounds. Wait one more week. If you go up 2 pounds again, then yeah you may need to reevaluate your current eating/exercise plan, but still 4 pounds isn't a pant size and it doesn't take a long time to lose. I like your new plan!

And omg lastly, people around you may LOOK like they eat whatever they want, but its not true!!!! Yes people may eat fries and burgers and ice cream etc and you can feel all WTF but in the end, if you look closely, their calories are still normal because they only eat a few bites or they didn't eat breakfast or they ate a small lunch or they didn't eat very much the day before. It takes all of my effort to only eat a few bites of something, which is why when I see skinny people eat french fries It doesn't make any sense. So just be patient and soon you will be one of those people, who eats a little and its normal and doesn't feel like deprivation.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    liveyourlifex: Its okay! Tomorrow is a new day. I know you know that but sometimes its good to hear from other people. It's a NEW DAY. I completely understand about finals! When I was in college there was a couple semesters where I would eat like a pint of ice cream every day I had a test. My recommendation to you (this is what I've done many times), since your calories have been high for a while, don't launch right into a diet, just focus on eating when you're hungry but don't think about calories. I call them "transition days" - those are "good days" too! Let yourself come down from the binging days, then ease back into your diet. "Transition days" help me cope with guilt and prevent crazy restricting which is what we all want to do after a binge. Be kind to yourself and OWN the rest of the week!! Hope your exams have been going well!

Apesid: YEAH GIRL YOU FUGGIN ROCK!! Pizza is the ultimate binge food so, yeah you rock.

MaureenJ79: I can see how it might be frustrating to finally get to where you want and instead of feeling free (like you'd think) you still feel trapped by the grind. Truth is, any time you get off any diet you will immediately gain a few pounds. Not because you are going over your limit at all, just because you have more food in your system and more water. Not to mention, your body is going to hold onto it because its been used to getting less calories. I don't know how long you've been at your maintenance calories but be patient, give it long enough to plateau. It will go up and plateau. I would also suggest in order to feel less like you are having to work to maintain, do things that are not "exercise." Go for a hike or a walk with a friend. Watch your calories but wait a week before you weigh yourself. I think you've had to be so diligent for so long now that it sounds like its hard for you to just relax and let go. Let goooooo. The WORST thing that is going to happen is your are going to gain 2 pounds. So what?? You're an expert at weight loss, you've proven that, you can lose two pounds easily. BUT, don't worry about the two pounds. Wait one more week. If you go up 2 pounds again, then yeah you may need to reevaluate your current eating/exercise plan, but still 4 pounds isn't a pant size and it doesn't take a long time to lose. I like your new plan!

And omg lastly, people around you may LOOK like they eat whatever they want, but its not true!!!! Yes people may eat fries and burgers and ice cream etc and you can feel all WTF but in the end, if you look closely, their calories are still normal because they only eat a few bites or they didn't eat breakfast or they ate a small lunch or they didn't eat very much the day before. It takes all of my effort to only eat a few bites of something, which is why when I see skinny people eat french fries It doesn't make any sense. So just be patient and soon you will be one of those people, who eats a little and its normal and doesn't feel like deprivation.

good points. i know i need to just go with it... i am 4 lb over goal weight so i've had to face reality that i need to cut back again... but once i get to goal weight again then i'll try and roll with gaining a little. it's just so tough because i feel like i worked so hard and i don't want to be as heavy as i was ever again.

i know what you mean about it seeming like everyone can eat whatever they want. i never really thought about how maybe they are not eating a big breakfast, etc.
  • apesid
    Options

This is SO true. And something I've been learning. Thanks for the positive support!