Vitamins/supplments - what are you taking and why?

Options
13»

Replies

• ksfmcdaniel
    ksfmcdaniel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm taking quite a few supplements at the moment - mostly because my body chemistry is pretty messed up from cancer treatment two years ago.

I'm on a rather large dose of Vitamin D (I saw someone here ask about it) - my onc showed me studies that said that if you were female, lived north of Atlanta, and were diagnosed with cancer, there was an over 90% chance you were Vit D deficient. It has been shown to lessen the chance of breast cancer recurrence. It also helps keep my psoriasis under control.

I'm also taking glucosamine - it really helps with my whacked out knee. I can definitely notice a difference when I'm on it.

And I take a "Hair Skin and Nails" formula with biotin and a few others mixed in. I was having TERRIBLE issues with my nails ripping at the slightest pressure (post-chemo), and this has helped a LOT. I haven't noticed a difference in my hair, but definitely in my nails.
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Per my gyno's recommendation, I am taking Vitamin D, Biotin and B12, and DHA Omega 3. I have a rheumatological disorder and perimenopausal, she suggested I try these to help ease/lessen my multiple symptoms.
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and I take Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil (good for excema and PMS), Vitamin D3 (good for immune system and may help to prevent skin and breast cancer), and Carditone (herbal formula to aid in reducing blood pressure). I also drink a homemade green smoothie every morning to make sure I'm getting a big dose of fruits and veggies and fiber. I'm considering adding some B's.

Oh! and a probiotic! Our guts are usually very lacking in good bacteria. It may help to reduce sugar cravings.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    *DHEA 50mg a day. Here is an article about using DHEA as a sports supplement for women. This guy is really long winded and technical, but skip down about half way and he talks about the benefits of DHEA for women especially those over 40. http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/dhea-the-most-underrated-supplement-for-women/

*Green Tea Extract for energy

*Alpha Lipioc Acid for cellular rejuvenation, especially healing after heavy workouts

*Melatonin 3mg for sleep regulation.

*Cal/Mag/Zinc/D3 (single pill) daily

*Whey Protein

*Occasionally use psyllium husk for extra fiber.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Multi-Vitamin for women
    Vitamin C - September thru April
    Vitamin D - September thru April
    Iron supplements when doc says I need it

Whey Protein all natural vanilla shake (from GNC) before any weight training (this is not a meal replacement and is only 120 calories)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I typically just sup with calcium and fish oil per dr's recommendation. I just cut back on the calcium slightly due to the reports about it being bad for you in supplement form. In the fall (will be starting soon) then I'll add in a ton of D3 since I live in the north - drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. When I feel a cold starting I take Zinc and voila it goes away the next day! Otherwise since I eat very balance meals with alot of vegetables and fruit I don't take a multi vitamin.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    OK, this is making me feel old because it's like we're comparing our pills --- which I guess we are.
    LOL - - at least there were lots of great naturopathic information in the comparisons! I picked up a couple of things that I'm going to do more research on.

For now, my daily suplement regime is:
    Vitamin B100 - emotions / stress
    Vitamin D (upping it to 1000 per day since it's "winter")
    Garlic Oil - general health (I haven't had a cold or flu in years!)
    Iron - twice a week (thinking this might need to be upped a bit, too)
    Centrum Multi Vitamin (seems to have the best bang for me)
    Calcium - I run, so extra calcium to help rebuild my bones can't be a bad thing.
    Whey Protein drink after every work out has really helped me to alliviate the stiffness and soreness that I was experiencing.

I'll be checking out Vitamin K to see if I should be adding it - after reading through these comments, tho!
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I take a Centrum multivitamin about 3 times a week. I took GNC Mega Men in the past and maybe it was just a placebo effect, but I found it actually seemed like I felt better with that one… Guess I need to get more and try those again. They Make one for women as well.
  • mukluk2
    Options
    I take vitamin D for depression Oct - April - has tons of other benefits though.
    I take a multi-vitamin.

I buy chewable ones, because I can't make myself swallow more than one or two pills a day.
    Anybody have a recommendation for a Vit D and Calcium combined, or a calcium chewable that taste good? I tried GNC and Target and don't like theirs.
  • chessie11
    Options
    I take a multivitamin each day (I really like Alive Ultra Potency for Women) and B-complex tabs for stress.

Been trying to find a natural supplement for joint pain (I need to get off the twice/week Aleve ritual - it works for me,, but I need something natural)