Deadlift Form

Options
HeidiMightyRawr
HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
So, I need ideas on how I can improve my form on deadlifts. It's not the worst form ever but my back's definitely rounded. The problem is, to me it feels fine and I had no idea until my bf filmed it (he's not the best judge on form so I had to see it for myself)

Another problem is, I can drop the weight considerably, to a weight that I feel really comfortable doing for around 10 reps or more, and it's still bad. I would never have guessed form was an issue for this as it's not a challenging weight and it feels easy. It seems like the only time my form is perfect is when using just the bar, and I could go on and on forever with that so what's the point? I want to be able to challenge myself but it's like whenever it gets even the tiniest bit hard, my form goes to sh1t! :/

What I used to do: Train on around 80-85kg, 60kg is my light weight I usually did a couple of sets on at the end. My 1RM was 100kg as of the beginning of January. I've always known my form wouldn't be great on the heavier weights but I don't test 1RM's often so it didn't worry me. It's the fact it's bad on even lower weights that's annoying.
Now I'm just training on 60kg, trying my best to keep form good although I can't tell for sure when I'm by myself. I really don't want to go lower than that as I feel it doesn't do much. I did around 4 sets today, then did around 4 sets of rack pulls as my back was starting to ache (it felt better after that) but not sure if they'll help as it's the first part of the lift that's hardest for me.

My squats are fine in comparison (50-60kg depending on whether it's to parallel or really low) so I know that's not the problem, although I'm always trying to improve on those.

Any ideas on things I could do to improve form would be greatly appreciated! I don't do bent over rows but I've been wondering if they might help?

Heidi

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    VERY difficult to coach from the intahwebz.
    a strength coach is the way to go. ONE session with a good one will sort you no problem.

Sounds like you are not keeping tight to me.

Setup is as follows.
    - Stand in front of bar (no **** right? lol). You want the bar about 1.5-2 inches in front of you skin.
    - bend over and grab it with your comfortable grip. set that first.
    - now break at the knees until your shins touch the bar.
    - hips up!
    - Deel breath into your gut and hold it, keeping tight back (the breath helpd this)
    - Pull, and drive your hips forward. (you know this bit).

Higher hips than you think you need, tighter than tight back, deeper than deep breath..

A good video here. Showing some before and afters too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCzoT580Z4&feature=player_embedded
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im doing some form work at the moment too, the way im trying to do it is by doing Deads and Squats twice a week, once as a workset and once deloaded purely for form. If you have access to them, Trap bars are great for making sure you're deadlifting the right way too
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys, go see a good coach. it will be the best 20 bucks* you ever spent!

*obviously this will vary world wide :p

in that video...i'm "Big Tim" :p
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think if I don't seem to get in right in the next couple of weeks I'll get a coach :)
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    The video was helpful, thank you.

But I couldn't help but think about that commercial... "I lift things up and put 'dem down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cpojkILO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've found my years of *gasp* ballet have helped me immensely in the form category. I've asked several people at my gym for form checks and all was well. (I made damn sure THEY had good form before I asked!)
    Sounds weird, but go home and bend at the waist, the knees, squat and do a bunch of other bends in the mirror paying close attention to your back placement. Move your hips forward and back and see how it makes your back align and go out of whack. Then when you are lifting, you'll have muscle memory for what is right and wrong.