MFP calories???

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
I have recently got back into swimming and I swim in the sea so I am not sure of distance. I am a little confused by the MFP calorie usage listed. I mostly do breaststroke as I am still quite unfit and need to build up to survive freestyle. Checking out the calories listed here it states that for 30 mins I would use:

breaststroke (general) - 445 calories
freestyle (light to moderate effort) - 312 calories
freestyle (fast/vigorous effort) - 445 calories

I always though freestyle used more calories, even if it was not at top speed... I don't go too fast with the breaststroke, as I am still building up my fitness. Which should I use to get the closest estimate of my calories burned?

Replies

• nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Which stroke uses more depends on the efficiency of the swimmer. I can swim all day freestyle without getting tired because I have an efficient stroke. In contrast, I suck at breaststroke. You have to modify the MFP calories to fit your circumstances. I think they are a pretty good benchmark, but not perfect for everyone.

For example, Swimming leisurely seems to record about 10 calories per minute (seems a bit high for me, an excellent floater).

Swimming laps, light effort seems to record 11 calories per minute. That's not much different, but that's the one I use to record my workouts, which are not all light effort.

Swimming laps, fast/vigorous record 16 calories per minute which seems a huge rate to me. I don't think I burn that much even when I'm swimming hard. And, there's no intermediate lap swimming option that might be more appropriate on, say, a day I swim a hard mile for time.

So, use them as they fit your abilities, and adjust as needed.
  • daycraig
    Options
    I typically take my time and divide it by 3. I put in 20 minutes for light, 20 for breast, and 20 for free style. I think that breast stroke is easier (and I use that term loosely) for me only becuase I get to breathe every time, free doesn't give you that luxury.
  • janluke
    janluke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've swam a couple of times recently with a heart rate monitor and found my caloroes burnt are about two thirds of the MFP figures for my weight