Daily Tip for Today (#912)

Options
(Not sure if anyone does this yet or not, but...)

Try logging your food in BEFORE you actually sit down to eat it, especially if you think it's a meal you may have trouble saying no to, portion wise.

That way, if you see how many calories each item is and what the total calorie intake is ahead of time, it might help you curb your appetite better.

Let us know if any of you do this already, and whether or not, it works for you.

Good luck~

katie

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have only done this once and it caused me to waste 1/2 a beer because I was determined not to go over my calories....because that 50 calories would've damned me to hell forever!!!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I log planned meals during the week. Saturday and Sunday I usually don't log at all.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I generally log my lunch during breakfast, log my dinner during lunch, and log my snacks for the day or the evening a few hours before actually eating them. I feel like doing this allows me to budget my calories in a more efficient way. I find I regularly make better choices because of this.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have only done this once and it caused me to waste 1/2 a beer because I was determined not to go over my calories....because that 50 calories would've damned me to hell forever!!!

Not funny Bill.

Beer is nothing to scuff at. That's a party foul...

• vaderandbill
    Options

Not funny Bill.

Don't fret, I have more than made up for that wasted beer!!!
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I add everything I'm making before I eat it. Cuz I'll forgot after I'm
    Done like I did last night!!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Not funny Bill.

I believe beer is in the cards for this weekend...

• vaderandbill
    Options

Not funny Bill.

I believe beer is in the cards for this weekend...

Oh tomorrow will just be silly!! Getting together with my old roommate and his wife for dinner! But we have a kid's birthday party at the YMCA tomorrow afternoon so I'll have lots of extra calories!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do that when I know ahead of time what I am making for dinner. I feel in control and I can play around with snacks without worrying that I am going to "short change" dinner.
  • TrekCat
    TrekCat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I log everything I am going to eat in the morning during the week, so that IF I am going to loose it, I know how far I have to go. Weekends, I suck....
  • stevepierson
    Options
    I do this and it seems to work well for me. It really makes me stop and think...
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think about the calories but generally log them after I eat. I do input water every time I get a glass....which was yesterday only 1 glass (2 cups) on Wednesday I did the Water Wednesday challenge and it was hard but good, and I made it to 4 glasses/ 8 cups!

I know thinking about calories this morning, kept me from encouraging my husband to make the big usual weekend breakfast (fried potatoes, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, and occasionally steak) to a safer cheerios and milk. That said...the new Peanut Butter Cheerios are awesome...and I allowed myself a double portion. :)

Hugs-
    Kendra
  • KazeKaiyouHime
    Options
    I try doing this at least with two out of the three meals so that way I'll know what my options are for the other. Sometimes finding something healthy on campus during the weekend is hard. My options are brave the caf (haven't done so yet), starbucks, hope there's a decent meal swipe option, or soup & oatmeal in the dorm.
  • H0neybug
    H0neybug Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I generally eat whatever I want to eat, but if I know it is going to be something really bad I log it before I eat it so I can adjust the amount I'm going to eat. Yesterday we went out to eat and I always eat a Monte Cristo...when I went to log it after I ordered it...I was not really shocked to find out that the whole sandwich has 1122 calories, but it made sure that I only ate half and left the fries alone.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I do it. Just two nights ago I made this huge pot of rice. I figured I would have 1 cup of rice with soup poured over it. Then as I was inputting, I figured out 2/3 cup of white rice is 600 calories!! Oh My! So I put 5 tortilla chips in my chicken and turkey sausage soup to thicken it up instead. There have been other instances. It really does seem to help!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I log before as much as I can. Sometimes I have to redo it if I change my mind. It really helps. No surprises and late night elliptical.