Back from the store! questions? How did I do?

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
It went OK, I was in there AGES looking at labels but I am pretty proud of myself!

I am going to make some crustless quiche to keep for on the run.

I bought some Agave Nectar not sure what you guys think of this? per teaspoon its 3.57g of carbs, I thought it might be good to have in case I need sweet??? Bad decsion?

I drink decaf coffee and normally have a little skimmed milk, shall I switch to single cream?

These are the main things that I got

Eggs
Cheese (Cheeder, cottage and Mozerella)
Meat (Lamb shank,rump steak, 2 whole chickens, pork chops,bacon)
Veg (Brocilli, cabbage,celery,cucumber,calliflower,peppers,mushrooms,onion)
Fruit Apples,Kiwi,strawberrys,Oranges (are these OK? I thought they would have a lot of natural sugar in them?)
Pepperoni
Smoked sausage

Snacks
Chesse
Pork scratchings
Double cream for strawberrys
Diet Lemonade
Cheese wrapped in ham
Sugar free Jelly (Jello in the states)

Greek style organic yogurt with coconut (this has 10g of carbs per 100g but I LOVE it)
Apple sauce (in case of emergency, it seemed the best option??)

I think thats about it...so verdict?

Replies

• Kelly_1981
    Options
    Anyone??
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the low-carb. thing(been on Atkins for 3 weeks)........it really depends on how low carb. you are wanting to go.I do know that with the coffee,heavy cream is the best choice.You have to get in a different frame of mind than with low-calorie,fat free diets.The closer to nature you get,the better.For example,you want to use butter..not margarine....etc....
    I think you did great with the veggie choices and the meats.Berries are the lowest in carbs.,but I think the other fruits you picked are pretty good too....I would rather someone else tell you about those.(I do know an apple is better than applesauce).......I believe you are getting a good start if you're not wanting to go extremely low(I'm doing around 20-30g. right now....so some of these things I am avoiding).
    One tip I do have though is to try and stay away from as many sweet things as possible.....I was a sugar addict...a BIG one......I have been doing low carb. for 3 weeks with nothing sweet other than an occasional Atkins bar and I don't have the sugar cravings anymore.....the longer you go without them,the less you'll want them!
    Good luck and I hoped I helped a little :)
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It went OK, I was in there AGES looking at labels but I am pretty proud of myself!

I am going to make some crustless quiche to keep for on the run.

I bought some Agave Nectar not sure what you guys think of this? per teaspoon its 3.57g of carbs, I thought it might be good to have in case I need sweet??? Bad decsion?

I drink decaf coffee and normally have a little skimmed milk, shall I switch to single cream?

These are the main things that I got

Eggs
    Cheese (Cheeder, cottage and Mozerella)
    Meat (Lamb shank,rump steak, 2 whole chickens, pork chops,bacon)
    Veg (Brocilli, cabbage,celery,cucumber,calliflower,peppers,mushrooms,onion)
    Fruit Apples,Kiwi,strawberrys,Oranges (are these OK? I thought they would have a lot of natural sugar in them?)
    Pepperoni
    Smoked sausage

Snacks
    Chesse
    Pork scratchings
    Double cream for strawberrys
    Diet Lemonade
    Cheese wrapped in ham
    Sugar free Jelly (Jello in the states)

Greek style organic yogurt with coconut (this has 10g of carbs per 100g but I LOVE it)
    Apple sauce (in case of emergency, it seemed the best option??)

I think thats about it...so verdict?

about the Agave, more often than not its mislabel and is cut with HFCS. I'd def suggest switching to heavy cream for coffee or even coconut milk. The apple sauce and sugar free jelly aren't the best on your body, but small steps right? Otherwise looks like you made out pretty nice today! Way to Go :D
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think you've done really well.
    You keep reading and learning as you go....
    You've made a great start. Asking for advice is a smart move, there is a lot to learn from the right people on here.
    Good luck!
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you,
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You did great!! How's it going?

One thing....if you are having some trouble with carb cravings after a few day you might want to drop fruit from your diet for w few months. Sometimes the sweetness of the fruit propelled carb cravings in some people. You sca reintroduce fruit again when you are further down the road

Personally I limit fruit to some extent....I do have some...but never alone for a snack...always with a protein and veg
  • seahorsewahine
    seahorsewahine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I second the evils of Agave Nectar....not only do they cut it with HFCS...but all the different color variations are purity issues, not purposeful decisions. And I found that with PCOS the Agave nectar made me gain weight instantly!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You did great!! How's it going?

One thing....if you are having some trouble with carb cravings after a few day you might want to drop fruit from your diet for w few months. Sometimes the sweetness of the fruit propelled carb cravings in some people. You sca reintroduce fruit again when you are further down the road

Personally I limit fruit to some extent....I do have some...but never alone for a snack...always with a protein and veg

Yup, this happened with me, triggered my cravings.
  • Camara1572
    Options
    I think you did wonderful. I'm on the Atkins diet so no Fruit for me for about 3 weeks ( I have only a little weight to lose this time around caught myself before it got out of control lol). It will start your cravings for sweets. that I know when I introduced berries into my diet the last time i was on I started to crave the chocolate. lol Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    I second the evils of Agave Nectar....not only do they cut it with HFCS...but all the different color variations are purity issues, not purposeful decisions. And I found that with PCOS the Agave nectar made me gain weight instantly!!

TY I will not be using that then :-)

I have been limiting fruit I havent had any for the past two days, I feel fine. I think I will be doing the atkins induction starting in the next few days.

I have been around 30g net carbs a day so I think its going OK.

Thank you all x