knee pain?

Options
cgrout78
cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
Is there a way to modify these at all with knee issues? I'm going to do my second workout tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about the lunges, or would just getting a kneee brace work?

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to modify these at all with knee issues? I'm going to do my second workout tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about the lunges, or would just getting a kneee brace work?

Knee issues is kinda broad. Are we talking a previous injury and you shouldn't be doing that exercise? That would probably be best to seek the advice of a PT or orthopedist to help you determine what you should do to avoid reinjury.

If we're talking knee pain from poor form, lots of running, age, whatever, you would be best served by making sure you are using the best form possible performing the exercise even if it means using little or no weight. Having a trainer or someone knowledgeable of the exercise watch you do the lunges would help reinforce good form. I've read conflicting things about using braces, some pro some con. The major con is that inexperienced exercisers may use them and feel overconfident in the security that the brace is keeping them safe from harm. As a result, they may overdo an exercise or perform it with bad form/ too much weight and cause the harm they thought they were trying to prevent. Don't let that be you.

I don't know which of these categories you fall into but joint pain is indicative of some problem that should be addressed. Make sure you work out safe and smart.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Knee pain varies so much that it would be hard to advise you on that. I can tell you that I have arthritis in both knees and have been nursing what feels like a bakers cyst behind my left knee throughout this program, and I can do most of the moves called for. At first I was extremely wobbly on the lunges and could only do body weight, and then moved up slowly. As my squats improved, my strength in my knees overall improved, and soon enough I could do static lunges holding a 35 pound dumbbell in each hand.

I haven't felt any knee pain while doing any of the moves - my limitations have been more in pounding activities (I skipped the squat and lunge jumps during the body weight matrix) - but I do feel a tightening/hardening behind my knee afterwards, and sometimes struggle doing quad stretches. Wrapping, elevating, and icing my knee always helps, and over time I've needed to do that less and less. I've even been able to do the HIIT on the treadmill lately, which is huge for me.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters, knee pain is very broad and varied. However, take time to watch the video below to make sure you're using proper form when doing squats and lunges: break at the hips, push your butt back, never let your knees go beyond your toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dbFDXfL3Q&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=14&feature=plpp_video

One caveat: the guy in the video isn't squatting deep enough. His thighs aren't parallel to the floor. But his instructions on how to avoid knee pain and other common mistakes is spot on.

Title of the YouTube video is "how to squat" uploaded by mtbstrengthcoach. Video is 10:37 long.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters, knee pain is very broad and varied. However, take time to watch the video below to make sure you're using proper form when doing squats and lunges: break at the hips, push your butt back, never let your knees go beyond your toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dbFDXfL3Q&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=14&feature=plpp_video

One caveat: the guy in the video isn't squatting deep enough. His thighs aren't parallel to the floor. But his instructions on how to avoid knee pain and other common mistakes is spot on.

Title of the YouTube video is "how to squat" uploaded by mtbstrengthcoach. Video is 10:37 long.

bump
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I relate! I tore up a knee when I was 18 and had to get surgery to repair, plus 2 additional surgeries since then. Squats and lunges always make my knees ache for a couple of days, but I hope that as I get stronger that will go away or at least get to be less. I don't go as far down on either exercise, which I know does not give me the impact I want, but that's where I am for now. I have progressed to being able to do lunges without losing my balance! and now I am able to do them with weights too. Ibuprofen is my friend on those days.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advice!! I did get a knee strap and am going to lay off the running for a while.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from running is definitely a good idea. If you're still craving cardio, you can try using an elliptical machine instead. It's a lot easier on the joints. The rower is also a great cardio workout, and best of all it's all upper body so you can totally rest your knee.