Run/Walk Across America Challenge Week 4 [CLOSED GROUP]

Options
Alexagetsfit
Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
1st: Wellsd1984: 124.1 miles. LC: Ozona, TX.

2nd: Christa_1983. 81.62 miles. LC: El Paso, TX.
3rd: Mariawells. 80 miles. LC: El Paso, TX.

4th: Really_me. 74.99 miles. LC: Lordsburg, NM.
5th: Jessie43082. 70.36 miles. LC: Lordsburg, NM.
6th: AliceIsRunning. 66.7. LC: Lordsburg, NM.

7th: Anichols2288. 57.77 miles. LC: Tucson, AZ.
8th: Kimertruns13_1. 54.4 miles. LC: Tucson, AZ.

9th: Leslye125. 50.3 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
10th: Smurfette75. 45 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
10th: Thamre. 45 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
12th: Cm1479. 42 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
13th: Fierrox5. 41.25 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ..
14th: Skfj5. 39.14 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.

15th: Nulife9727. 34.525 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.
16th: Jbessolo. 33.7 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.
17th: Nokey73. 26.3 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.

18th: Amanda_runs. 21.5 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
19th: Annasgyal. 21.2 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
20th: Chrissle. 18.7 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
21st: Rubyred1999. 18.03 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
22nd: Staceyb2003. 17.75 miles. Palm Springs, CA.
23rd: Ishallnotwant. 17.74 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
24th: Promethea79. 17.5 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.
25th: Leomentlines. 14.3 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.

26th: KABlackwell. 10 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
27th: Mariababe81. 8 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
28th: Jkw61. 6.8 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
29th: Kat_renee. 4 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.

David - I thought you said that this week was a rest week?!

Leslye125 - Great Mileage this week!

thamre - Great Job! You are so consistent!

Aliceisrunning - Congrats on your first Half Marathon! How was Disneyland?

Question for all of you - What is your reason for running/walking? Is this just a way to lose weight? Is this your personal zen time? Do you run to get away from the kids? Do you like the feel of the wind in your face?

I run because I like the stress relief. At the moment, I feel like I am running because I am crazy. I am glad that I am running a half marathon but I don't know that I ever want to run one again. We will see how I feel afterwards though cause I may change my mind, but for the moment I think I will go back to running shorter distances that don't abuse my body quite as much.

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    What is your reason for running/walking? Is this just a way to lose weight? Is this your personal zen time? Do you run to get away from the kids? Do you like the feel of the wind in your face?

It started as my form of cardio for weight loss 3 yrs ago. I do it now for my health and because I love it. I'm also training for a couple of races this year.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I ran only 6 this week....knee is acting up.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It was supposed to be! But then I realized that I was off a week on my training program and had to switch things around.

I started running to lose weight. I lost 40 pounds fairly quickly, and I'm comfortable with where it is now. I continued to run because I love it. I love collecting medals and t-shirts. Now it's just become a habit. I can't see myself NOT running.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options

David - I thought you said that this week was a rest week?!

HE LIED!! (the *kitten*...)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My reason for running....I started to lose weight, now it's to better my health and help build muscle in my legs and burn off some fat! It's also a great stress reliever! And I love being outside when the weather allows.
  • PBmaria
    Options
    It was supposed to be! But then I realized that I was off a week on my training program and had to switch things around.

I started running to lose weight. I lost 40 pounds fairly quickly, and I'm comfortable with where it is now. I continued to run because I love it. I love collecting medals and t-shirts. Now it's just become a habit. I can't see myself NOT running.

You're amazing <3
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you - What is your reason for running/walking? Is this just a way to lose weight? Is this your personal zen time? Do you run to get away from the kids? Do you like the feel of the wind in your face?

Not really sure why I choose to run. I think I like the feeling it gives me when I am done...definitely my time to think (even though I could do that just walking). I wasn't much of a runner when I was in school. I tried track and cross country for a couple of years, I was always the slowest to run the mile in gym...lol. When I get back from a run in the summertime, friends often ask why would I want to run. I just tell them "Because I get there faster" lol. Those that are into running always congratulate me and maybe that is what pushes me to do it. I do have a goal to run a half marathon this September. I really don't know why I want to. Maybe just to say I did it. Maybe to actually accomplish "something" in my life other than being a failure. And maybe trying to attempt a half is crazy...but I am not getting any younger and if I wait to long it definitely won't happen.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I run because I like the stress relief. At the moment, I feel like I am running because I am crazy. I am glad that I am running a half marathon but I don't know that I ever want to run one again. We will see how I feel afterwards though cause I may change my mind, but for the moment I think I will go back to running shorter distances that don't abuse my body quite as much.

I started running: 1. to lose weight, 2. because I have never done anything athletic and pretty much either worked or sat on my butt the last 20yrs, 3. I was 45 and not getting any younger, and 4. I was really, really angry at the end of at long, murky, agonizing relationship with a jerk of a guy. Anger fueled the first 12-18mos.

Now, I keep running because it keeps me sane. I love the time outside, pushing myself, the mental battle, how it feels when I'm done, and all that. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose so that's part of it as well.

My goal this year is a Half and I think it's doable. But I, like you, Alexa, wonder what purpose it's serving to keep going farther and the "price" I'm paying by doing that. I ran 8mi on Sat and was basically useless yesterday. If I run a 5-6mi long run, I can function and have a decent rest day after. I also struggle w/ food choices, being ravenous the rest of the day of the run and day after. So, I think I almost ruin the running weight loss by overeating due to the running! I don't have that problem on the 3-4mi runs.

I still have 40# to go to get to a healthy weight and am still trying to figure out how to balance this out.
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    1/30-3.2 miles (walk.jog)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    3 miles at lunch today
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, (yesterday)1/29: 2.8 miles. I hope it's not too late as we started a new week today!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    1/30: 1.57 miles
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started to run to lose weight and just to be able to say that I can. No one around me runs so it is something that sets me apart from others.
    1/29 = 2.5 miles
  • nulife9727
    Options
    1/29 - 3.00 miles (run/walk)
    1/30 - 1.5 miles (walk)

I just recently started back running to help me lose weight - although I am limited on how much I can push myself at this time due to ankle/foot problems. After running, I feel I have that extra "ump" to help me make it through the day without feeling sluggish.
  • PBmaria
    Options
    3 awful miles today. Kinda proud of myself for pushing, though.

I guess I started to run to lose weight but now it's just part of my routine. As crazy as it sounds, I normally look forward to my Sunday long runs. I guess my favorite thing about running is that it's all about ME :)
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    1/30 = 3 miles walked
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1/30: 2 mile walk

Alexa, I'm sad to say that between the Fitness Expo, getting my costume ready and getting to bed early, I didn't get to even go INSIDE Disneyland -- well, except for the part of the race running up Main Street and thru the castle :)

I started running because my friend suggested we do the Tinkerbell Half Marathon. She knows I LOVE Disney and that I've been talking/thinking about losing weight. At first, I was overwhelmed. I doubted that I could do it. I downloaded several training plans and started a run/walk/run system. I found that I LOVED it. I was starting to lose weight and really looking forward to running. I loved the challenges physical and mental that each run gave me.

I love how each run is different - some good, some not so good, some great. No two are ever alike. I also like the accomplishment I get with each extra mile I do. I love the environment of races with runners in the corrals. I love collecting the t-shirts, medals and silly prizes they give you at the finish line - some favorites have been a pumpkin pie at a Turkey Trot, a shot of tequila with lime at a Cinco De Mayo run, and a can of beer (I forgot which race did this)
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, (yesterday)1/29: 2.8 miles. I hope it's not too late as we started a new week today!
    Nope, it is not too late. :)

Alice - Aww. I'm sad that you didn't actually get to wander around Disneyland. I have never actually been to Disneyland either. I have only been to Disneyworld. I'm sure it was still fun! What race gave you a shot of tequila at the end? I think I need to try this one!
  • Jessie43082
    Jessie43082 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Running is my me time
    It helps me connect with God and with nature.
    Because of that it's also a great form of stress relief
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1/30 - 4 miles

I run because I love food!! Joking aside, I run because it is my time to just do something for myself. I do so much for everyone else, it is the only time when I can just be alone with myself and my tunes. I've told my kids unless your bleeding from the head, or the house is on fire, it can wait an hour or so. ;)