Conventions/Meetups

Options
Nikkie_too
Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
A friend and I just got back from a nice little convention called WinterCon in Champaign, IL. There were only a few hundred people, but it was well-run and had some fun events.

There were plenty of miniatures games out there - I played a session of Wings of War, a WWI dogfighting game which was fun!

I also played:

Agricola - man, that game is full of awesome choices and not enough resources to do what you want to. What a struggle!
Struggle for Catan - a Catan-based card game that works well with 2 players
Impossible Machine - a Rube Goldberg inspired card game where players match up cards to build a funny machine
Kill Dr. Lucky - a chaotic game where players chase "Dr. Lucky" around a mansion looking for an opportunity to kill him. Funny, and best with lots of players
Lots of Dominion too

Anyone else have plans to visit a Convention or Meetup this year? Anyone have a regular/semi-regular boardgaming group?

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I MISSED THIS???
    booo.

The only games you mentioned that Ive played are Dominion and Agricola...in fact, my bf and I took em to Madison over the weekend to play with a friend.

I wish so badly that I had a gaming group...I used to have a friend who'd play em with me a lot until he moved away. =\

Id love to hit a convention, too. Im really legit upset that I didnt know about this one in Champaign.

How do you find out about cons? Im still trying to figure out the best way to keep up with em
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Aww - sorry girl. It was an impulsive trip. My friend found the convention on this site: http://www.geekcal.com/

I think BGG has a thread for Conventions too. I can't tell if this is it - BGG seems to be down ATM. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66079/game-convention-calendar

Lemme know if you guys want to come to Columbus, OH for Origins. It's a good-sized Con with lots of events... and I've got a spare room. :)
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Ohhh I use geekcal, I just dont look at it ofter enough lol

I also dont explore BGG enough and need to get on that, too.

Thanks! My boy isnt much for cons, but is obsessed with board games and loves to travel so I may be able to talk him into that one :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    I'm from Columbus, OH and it actually has a great boardgaming community - a club called CABS http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/

They have a few hundred members and have open gaming something like 2 Fridays and 2 Saturdays each month, and have a big lending library of games too. At any meeting 60-100 members will be in attendance, so lots of folks to play with.

I don't get there enough to be a member (too busy with work/MBA classes ATM), but at $5/visit I can get my gaming fix in cheap. :)

If anyone's in/around the area and wants to attend some weekend, let me know. We'll meet up and play!
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    I'll be @ GenCon in August, and would love to meet up and play some board games during the downtime.

Any one else gong?
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    I hear GenCon's a great convention - a bit bigger than Origins too. I might get there - I'll let you know. :) Some friends of mine always go, and it's time I joined in the fun.
    I'll be @ GenCon in August, and would love to meet up and play some board games during the downtime.

Any one else gong?
  • Jovialation
    Options
    I havent gone to GenCon since it left WI...it hurt when it left :(

Maybe, tho...just mayyyybe...I can convince someone to go with me this year
  • tsimpson84
    Options

Any one else gong?

I'm going! We were just making plans for it this week. I'm missing PAX this year (boo!) so we wanted to make GenCon instead.
    Options
    GenCon just over a month away...anyone else gonna be there?
    Options
    GenCon just over a month away...anyone else gonna be there?

Oh well, maybe next year. I had a good time. Those that went, i hope you did too...