A really rough patch

Options
I am a new mother to a 4 month old son I am a reservist so i am military part time, house wife/mother full time. Since having my baby I work out 3-4 times a week INTENSE workouts. Jillian Michaels kicks my butt every time and yet I haven't lost A POUND not even A POUND. I am dumbfounded. I do not eat like a rabbit but I do not over eat and I don't pig out on snack foods all day, do I really need to take the joy out of eating and eat salads and lean tasteless chicken veggies and fruit all day in order to loose weight? Before I had my baby I could eat moderately healthy and kinda naughty at times and still loose weight I have my pt test coming up in 2 months and I know I am going to fail push ups and the run. I have hit a wall and don't really know what to do I am trying but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. How can I be a successful military member if my body won't let me snap back? Some new moms are saying its taken years of trying to loose the weight and be able to run like they used to yet I have 6 months? Does anyone relate to this (yourself, sister, wife) ?

Replies

• tank2260
    tank2260 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! I obviously have not a clue what you are going through because I can not birth children. BUT I do know that is more difficult to lose weight after having a child.

*Double check your PRT date versus when your child was born, if it is w/in 6 months you don't have to do the PRT.

If you do need to do it... get focused and you can get it done. Eventually your body will give in to your efforts. Eat clean, exercise, get enough rest, and stay consistent. With the test coming up focus on those events... push-ups, sit-ups, 1.5 run. I would suggest doing those three times per week while continuing the kickboxing for general fitness. Keep consistent and committed and you can get there!
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Eating clean does not have to be tasteless! It can be delicious! You just have to learn how to do it. Try to find Clean Eating Magazine online and check out their recipes. Delicious. I made a whole clean christmas meal from their exercises. Yes I took that gamble with my in-laws coming over for the first time, and they LOVED it. What you eat is very important in a healthy weight loss plan. You can do it, it just takes a little research. Good luck!
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that I had issues losing weight off that bat and it was even harder since I chose not to breastfeed. I think it's b/c of the hormone flucation. I believe all the branches of the military have a 6mth post-baby PT test. Both of mine have been 6mth 1 day after the baby was born
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I understand, between pregnancy and injury, I'm about to take my PRT in a week and half. It's brutal trying to get back in shape for it, but some things that helped me:

1. Try the 100 push up challenge. Google it, it's a program designed to help you build up the number of push-ups you can do, and it starts at very easy levels and is personalized for what you can do. You can do it! In two months of doing that you'll probably be able to get an Excellent on your push-ups!

2. Look into alternative cardio options! Navy allows you to do your PRT on a treadmill, elliptical, or stationary bike instead of running the 1.5 miles. I'm going to do the elliptical. Just make sure you PRACTICE your choice. It's all about how many calories you can burn in 12 minutes instead of how fast you can run. I understand, running has NEVER been a strong suit of mine, I'm slow as molasses.

3. To help me with sit ups, I do "8 minute abs" every morning, it's on youtube. It's old school but it works, and then when I get close to PRT (2-3 weeks) I start doing full sit ups. Just remember on the day of that for Navy PRT sit ups, you do not have to go all the way up. As long as your elbows touch ANY part of your thigh and you go down far enough to have your shoulder blades touch the ground, you're good. If you practice going all the way up though, then doing the sit ups at the PRT (which are less motion haha) are gonig to be easier.
  • NavyIT85
    NavyIT85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just keep pressing. Try to work in some more muscular toning excersizes. Never birthed a child myself, but i know it does a number on abdominal muscles.

Get in a variety of workouts, do strength training a couple times a week, and cardio a couple days a week.

A lot of people get too focused on diet, and it seems, judging by your picture, you didn't retain too much weight from pregnancy. work your push-ups and situps everyday. Take a few minutes twice a day and do as many push-ups/situps as you can.. Every 3 days or so take off from working on them. On those days work on your run. I am sure you can finish a 2 mile run, just don't stop. Run 2-3 miles twice a week, and don't stop, even if you have to slow down, keep running form. Once a week, give yourself a "mock" PRT. I shaved about 1:30 off my run in about a month that way, and maxed my other events.

Since then I have started running longer distance twice a week (4-9 miles) and once a week I run 2 miles as fast as I can.
    In 3 cycles I shaved another minute off my run, and lost 30 lbs.

Variety is important, it keeps your body working. if you are interested, P90X is great for muscle confusion, I do some of those workouts every so often, but even a week straight of that feels great.
  • J3ss1caD
    J3ss1caD Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up! Losing weight after a baby can definitely be stressful but don't freight.

Jill92787 mentioned the 100 push up challenge. I HIGHLY recommend that. My boyfriend started a pt program using this and it honestly works. Start off easy even if its just on your knees. Let your muscles build up. And when you do decide to move to "man push ups" don't be disappointed if you can only push out 5 or so. Just keep pushing through.

I've always struggled with sit ups myself. I'm sure you've heard of the P90X's AB Ripper. Well when I was deployed I obviously couldn't watch the video. I memorized the AB ripper workout and did it a lot. I slimmed down pretty good and my sit ups were at my best!!! I also stole a few push up exercises from P90X.. just from memorization. I can tell you this. I've always been decent at push ups but I've never been able to do other than the normal push ups. Doing the P90X pushups, I was able to do diamond push ups and one armed push ups. Not saying you need to get into all that. But definitely look into some of the P90X videos and take some of their workout routines. I think you'll be really satisified.

As far as struggling with your run. Continue to run. Don't push for just the mandatory run for your pt test. Do distance runs if you can. Throw in some variety of sprints. Sprints will get your run time down.

As far as meals go. Stick with MPF. Tracking what you eat will definitely help you out. Just make sure you're honestly recording everything. I'm not sure if you're big into soft drinks but my boyfriend but them out completely.. with a Coke Zero every once in a while. If you dont like the taste of water very much you should look into this Mio. Its a water enhancer with ZERO calories. I love it!

I tell you all of this and I'm pregnant. But this is ALL stuff that has worked for me in the past and I plan on doing it as soon as this baby is out!!!

Good luck!!!!!
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It can be a real challenge! I have 3 kids and have been both active duty and a reservist at times.(always Army) Sometimes it is harder as a reservist because you have to balance more parts to your life. I have always struggled with running, I have mild asthma and have fought to avoid getting the alternate 2 1/2 mile walk. (there are too many times they've gotten tough on those with asthma and it isn't worth the risk). If you have about 2 months left, I highly recommend starting the Couch to 5K program. You should have enough time to be able to build your endurance up to pass your run. It worked for me when I got frustrated and fell off the wagon. As for push-ups, you really need to just do them. The 100 push-up challenge is a good way to go. You can also do 10-15 pushups during every commercial when watching tv or find other ways to incorporate them into your day. I also used to use my little ones as "weights" to build my arms back up. Lie on your back with your knees bent and basically bench your baby. The babies love the fact that you are holding them up and looking them in the eyes and it doesn't seem like such a boring "chore". Food doesn't have to be bland and boring. Experiment. Try different things. I never thought I'd eat an avacado, but I love them. Smoothies/shakes can be a healthy desert /breakfast (if you watch what you put in them). Just don't get frustrated and quit. Even if you don't pass your 1st test after baby (a lot of us don't), you'll have another chance and a better guage of your fitness level. But, if you don't push yourself now, it'll be much harder later on. Good Luck!