What is your current goal? What are any obstacles to reachin

Options
My goal is to lose 74 pounds. I started at 247 and I'm currently at 214. I keep going down to 205 and then popping back up and then down and then up. I hope to break out of this cycle and move on.

The main obstacles I face are chronic pain, Fibromyalgia (FM), bulging discs in each region of my spine, and arthritis.

I can overcome them by staying in balance between how much I do and how much rest I get. A FM flare can take me out of the fitness loop for as long as a week. Sometimes I feel so good and that leads to me doing too much. I am also changing what I eat, food my be a big component of the inflammation response. I am wheat and lactose free. I am only using lactose free milk in tea or coffee. I don't take any other diary.

:smile:

Replies

• cgailb
    cgailb Posts: 29
    Options
    This Topic has three questions but you can't see them all.
    1. What is your current goal?
    2. What are any obstacles to reaching that goal?
    3. What can you do to overcome them?

You may not have an answer to each one. Ask for input if you need it!
  • vallesmines
    vallesmines Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am turning 40 in March!!! I'm very excited about that and want to celebrate by being in the best shape ever. I also have fibromyalgia and deal with chronic pain and fatigue. I am now off all medicines for it and going all natural. DIET AND EXERCISE play a huge role in how I feel day to day. I try to avoid most processed foods and sugar. My body lets me know when I cheat:( I would like to lose about 5-8lbs by March 18. My workouts consist of P90X, Insanity, and Brazilian Butt Lift! I have to pace myself or Ill pay big time.
  • cgailb
    cgailb Posts: 29
    Options
    What is P90X?
  • lindy3t
    Options
    Hi! I"m new to MFP. I am 43 for about 1 more day and then turn the big 44. My goal is to get in really excellent shape and lose weight to about 135lbs. I've been under alot of stress these past few years and I want total fitness to help me deal with the tough stuff better and to keep up with my sweet angels ages 10yr., 8, & 6.
    My obstacles seem to be time for working out, or maybe it's just making the time. And I LOVE to eat too many things. I seem to be trying to develp prehypertension and so I need to nip that in the bud FAST!!
    Ironically, I am a massage therapist but apparently I need to take more of my own advice!! Which brings me to the fibromyalgia. Massage therapy is good for that. It's a slow process but it does help. From what I understand also, is diet plays a key part in it.

P90X is a series of dvds that are workouts that are great. It's based on the theory of muscle confusion. You don't let your muscles get to used to the same old exercise all the time. You "shake it up" a bit, so to speak and they work harder faster. Plus, it comes with a eating plan etc. Great workouts!! I have the dvds but haven't used them as I should.... time thing again. My bad excuse!
    My current, closest goal is to hit 156 lbs by end of feb. I'm 166lbs right now.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, and like others also new to MFP. My current goal is to lose 120 lbs, although I'm not 100% certain that it's a realistic goal since I haven't been that weight since before my kids were born. I'll see what happens when I get to the 100lb mark and decide from there.

My current obstacles are joint pain; mostly knee and hip joints, and also some lower back pain.

To overcome this I try to do non impact exercises such as stationary bike, and walking. Since the lower back pain tends to follow when I am standing/walking, I try to walk for shorter periods of time. I'm really hoping that once I get some more of this weight off I'll be able to add some light impact stuff to my regimen.

With all that said, my thought for today is: Go over or go around, but don't stumble on that block.

• Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to lose 10 lbs....and it just won't budge. I have gotten off the working out train...and really need to make that time again. Obstacles are a stressful job and not wanting to take away from "family time". I have a 14 year old daughter going through those "wonderful" teenage years LOL and a 10 year son. Remarried 8 months ago....so being together at night for meals is important. Tried to get up early morning workouts and...it just doesn't work! Excited about this group and look forward to learning and seeing some of the best practices out there for women our age.
  • nybor101
    nybor101 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

You may not have an answer to each one. Ask for input if you need it!

1) 135 lbs :bigsmile:
    2) I am my biggest obstacle :devil:
    3) Don't get discouraged!!!! I just keep telling myself " I'm not 220lbs anymore!!!!" I have been at 150 for like six months.:huh: :ohwell:
  • ChristineMargaret
    Options
    My current goal is to lose 50 pounds. My biggest problem is stress and eating when stressed. I also am very sedentary, and need to start exercising. Neck and back pain and breathing issues are something I have to work around.
    I don't want to look frumpy anymore, so I will work on style and grooming, as well as losing weight.
  • debikay55
    debikay55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My goal is 165

I am a stress eater and tons of that :(

Change every thing that is keeping me thinking oh what the heck it is what it is tha t has got me
    where i am ! I have 103 lbs to go.:flowerforyou:
  • fionamac15
    Options
    hi
    i'm wanting to lose about 102 lbs.

i would say my biggest obstacle to my goal is most definately MYSELF........i slip off the wagon all the time...

but this time i'm approaching from a different angle, eating what i want when i want to stopping when i feel full or think i do and making meals more healthy..

oh has anyone heard of or tried slimgum, im on my 3 day with it and its doing ok, cuts out the need to snack, but after a while makes me hungry, going to try for a week till next weigh in and see if it helps
  • betsy1014
    betsy1014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to get down to 145 or 150 and to be in better shape, I currently weigh 169.

Time for exercise is my biggest obstacle. I'm a single mom of a 12 year old daughter that is involved in a lot of activites, so I'm always carpooling her somehwere when i would be working out. I am an evening workout person, I've tried to do it in the mornings, before work, and I just can't keep it up.

I just have to workout whenever I can. And stay focused with the food intake. I have a horrible sweet tooth.
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 74 pounds. I started at 247 and I'm currently at 214. I keep going down to 205 and then popping back up and then down and then up. I hope to break out of this cycle and move on.

The main obstacles I face are chronic pain, Fibromyalgia (FM), bulging discs in each region of my spine, and arthritis.

I can overcome them by staying in balance between how much I do and how much rest I get. A FM flare can take me out of the fitness loop for as long as a week. Sometimes I feel so good and that leads to me doing too much. I am also changing what I eat, food my be a big component of the inflammation response. I am wheat and lactose free. I am only using lactose free milk in tea or coffee. I don't take any other diary.

My name is Myschelle, I'm 41 and was recently diagnosed with FM as well. My ideal goal would be to loose 40 pounds. My obstacle/challenge seems to be medication as well as being B12 and Iron anemic, aside from chronic pain associated with the FM, I also suffer from dibilitating fatigue - sometimes I simply cannot function. Most days I need a nap and cannot continue without one. Another challenge I face is that I spend a great deal of time in my car traveling for work. I work for a home visiting program. Making healthy choices and eating on a schedule can take a back seat to the demands of my job. I take Cymbalta and Lyrica for the FM and get monthly B12 injections. I work out with a trainer 3x a week and take Zumba 1 to 4 times a week (depending on my schedule). I'm adding Pilates to my routine starting this Friday evening, I'm hopeful this will balance out my routine.

What am I doing to take control or to manage my challenges? I'm also trying to balance how much I do and how much rest I get. I allow myself to nap and try not to push beyond what I know I can do by not over-extending myself. I excercise to help with the FM, drink (too much) water, and have recently set my phone to remind me to eat on schedule and also to note what type of food I should be eating (ie; my morning meal tells me to eat a carb before my work out, post workout - mid morning snack tells me to eat a protein, lunch is salad or soup to get my veggies in....that sort of thing). I've also packed a lunch box in my car with healthy and yummy snacks for when I'm traveling - things that aren't effected by the sun (ie; nuts, fiber bar, fruit cups, breakfast bars, dried prunes, dried cherries, etc).

So now what? My weight does not budge (unless it's UP!), frustrating, but I keep plugging on. Any suggestions?

As for you hip-hip-horray, you are taking control of your life and working hard! Keep it up! You've come a long way on your journey!
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to lose 10 lbs....and it just won't budge. I have gotten off the working out train...and really need to make that time again. Obstacles are a stressful job and not wanting to take away from "family time". I have a 14 year old daughter going through those "wonderful" teenage years LOL and a 10 year son. Remarried 8 months ago....so being together at night for meals is important. Tried to get up early morning workouts and...it just doesn't work! Excited about this group and look forward to learning and seeing some of the best practices out there for women our age.

Suggestion: Maybe take a class (spinning, zumba, pilates) with your daughter (this can really open up communication - I used to walk with my 14 you son 6 miles for coffee on Saturday mornings, the way there was hell, the way back was heaven - he talked to me about everything!), evening walks with new hubby (make date night interactive, bowling, biking, a couples massage, etc.), and find something you can do with your son - do you have a Wi - maybe boxing, dance party....???? We used to play HORSE in the drive with the basketball as our family activity, now it's corn hole. Just a few ideas to fit everyone in, including yourself!
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also want to lose about 10lbs and started using MFP a month ago. I've kept at my calorie limit most days but have gone over a few. I've started doing exercises and really watching what I eat. But the scale has not budged! I feel better eating right but wish I could see some results. I'm like you, excited about this group and look forward to learning from everyone!
  • Donnajoball
    Options
    I would like to get to about 145-150 pounds, loose 5 pounds a month between now and June.

I have 2 children (14 year old daughter and 10 year old son) both are involved in sports and SOME nights have a TON of homework needing my time and help, right now it is all on me, the hubby had ankle surgery and is in a non-weight barring (spelling) cast so I is all on me. I AM getting better at asking for help where rides come in though!

I TRY to ZUMBA with my ZUMBA "buddies" 3-4 times a week, walk the dog more and IF I need to take my son to baseball (indoor practice) I can go to my gym around the corner. AND THINK POSITIVE!! I CAN DO THIS!!!
  • jwpe
    jwpe Posts: 77 Member
    Options

1)Current goal is to get fit so I can involve myself in more activities with my kids (age 11 & 9)
    Current weight goal is 135 to 140
    2)my body doesn't keep up to my mind and keeps being sore!
    Other obstacles are "life" ie I did not get up in time to do my workout this morning as one of our dogs was sick last night and had me up till 1am.
    3) My body will some adapt I think....I hope! so as long as I don't quit it will adjust. I also need to change my attitude and reallize my body needs more time to heal.
    Need to set an alarm so I wake up in time on the days I don't get to bed early enough.
  • FitformeNena
    Options
    Hi...i wish to lose and be healthier..im on a roller coaster..up n dwn wght n dieting...just cant stay motivated..i am for now..working out n cutting back..its been almost a week..ive lost 5 lbs already....:smile:
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 47 pounds and get in the healthy BMI range. My obstacles are holidays, parties and celebrations ... and a slow metabolism after 40, as well as time constraints. I need to be able to celebrate special days, but need to do it with one meal and plan to "afford" those meals. I can't really do much about the speed of my metabolism over 40 ... and I am committed to exercising 6 days a week ... for at least 30 minutes. But I am not going to "kill myself" to do this quickly. Just taking it as it comes this time. If it takes me a few years to drop the weight, that's fine. My weekly and monthly goals are much more realistic than in the past.
  • CarrieLynn91
    CarrieLynn91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to lose at least 17 more pounds. More than that I want to be able to keep up with my kids 18,16 and 14. Time goes so fast and they will soon be gone. I want to be in the middle of everything they are doing.
    My biggest obstacle would be me. I don't always feel like working out.
    I guess the best way to handle that is to constantly look at why I am doing this.
  • FitformeNena
    Options
    Oops...to lose atleast 50lbs..im now 225.. came to Pa at 195lbs...new man..now my hubby...soooo that explains it..lol