Exercise

Options
mrFerris
mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
I picked up this tip from a diet/fitness programme on TV a couple of nights ago. It debunked half a dozen or so myths about dieting and weightloss.

Exercise: some people believe that exercise is not necessary to lose weight and to a degree they are right but, think about this. Even a small 30 minute walk will raise your heartrate slightly. This in turn causes your metabolism to increase as it has to work a little harder to provide the energy necessary to allow the body to supply the extra oxygen around the body. Now you have finished your walk and burned 100 cals. That's the end of the story right? Wrong!

Your heartrate and breathing return to normal within a minute or two but your metabolism takes longer to return to the level it was before you took that walk and it was shown using sophisticated medical equipment that it takes between 12 and 24 hours to return to the level it was before exercise. During this time your body burn up to 300% more cals. So that 30 min walk could burn over a 24 hour period 300 - 400 cals. And it is strengthening your lungs and fitness!

A 30 minute a day walk could lose you a pound a week in weight. Even by eating the 100 cals for the walk you still burn more than you consume! That is the science behind eating back your calories!

Replies

• Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I picked up this tip from a diet/fitness programme on TV a couple of nights ago. It debunked half a dozen or so myths about dieting and weightloss.

Exercise: some people believe that exercise is not necessary to lose weight and to a degree they are right but, think about this. Even a small 30 minute walk will raise your heartrate slightly. This in turn causes your metabolism to increase as it has to work a little harder to provide the energy necessary to allow the body to supply the extra oxygen around the body. Now you have finished your walk and burned 100 cals. That's the end of the story right? Wrong!

Your heartrate and breathing return to normal within a minute or two but your metabolism takes longer to return to the level it was before you took that walk and it was shown using sophisticated medical equipment that it takes between 12 and 24 hours to return to the level it was before exercise. During this time your body burn up to 300% more cals. So that 30 min walk could burn over a 24 hour period 300 - 400 cals. And it is strengthening your lungs and fitness!

A 30 minute a day walk could lose you a pound a week in weight. Even by eating the 100 cals for the walk you still burn more than you consume! That is the science behind eating back your calories!

Boom.. there it is :)

I read that it is really good to eat within the hour after you have finished exercise as this is when your metabolism is really rocking and will burn off those extra calories even more efficiently... not sure how true this is... but I always do it and it's never done me any harm :P
  • mrFerris
    Options

I read that it is really good to eat within the hour after you have finished exercise as this is when your metabolism is really rocking and will burn off those extra calories even more efficiently... not sure how true this is... but I always do it and it's never done me any harm :P

Your metabolism is most active immediately after exercise yes! So you are absolutely correct.
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Note also that not only does it increase your metabolism but it also increases your appetite and so it is important to eat back those calories or you will hungry and then the wrong habits start and you binge and you don't lose weight and you blame it on everything but the real reason ... You didn't eat enough at the correct time.
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome and coincides with a challenge I have set for myself....to go for a walk OUTSIDE for at least 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days....(I am sure my dog, Jem will appreciate this) Who is with me?

Hugs-
    Kendra
  • mrFerris
    Options
    I'm on it ... Are we do ... Ers or are we don't ... Ers?
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Your metabolism is most active immediately after exercise yes! So you are absolutely correct.

Bummed! I've been doing it backwards the whole time.... TIme to do it the RIGHT WAY to be more efficient.

This is really going to help some of us turn things around, thank you.

Have I told either of you lately, that I love you guys? :flowerforyou:

~katie

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome and coincides with a challenge I have set for myself....to go for a walk OUTSIDE for at least 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days....(I am sure my dog, Jem will appreciate this) Who is with me?

Hugs-
    Kendra

I will accept this challenge! You want to check in daily? Friend me if you want!
  • mrFerris
    Options
    are you up for this Katie? Katherine, answer me when I speak to you! lol

Seriously though, are you up for Kendra's 30 mins per day for 30 days challenge?
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options

so happy to hear someone else say this. i dont eat dinner until after i workout, and sometimes that's betwee 8-8:30pm. all i hear is how bad it is to eat that late, but i've been doing it and loosing weight, so how bad is it? it's not like i go to sleep afterward, i still have 900 things to do and don't get to bed until 11pm.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I typically try to have a little something to eat before I workout on my weight training days to help fuel my workout ... but then afterwards is definitely when I have a protein shake and dinner. :)

Speaking of which ... it's about time for that pre-workout snack now. :)