Office Exercise

Options
vaderandbill
vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
I hate sitting at work and getting cramped from looking at my computer. So, this is what I'm starting today...It is called the 55 challenge. Do each exercise as quickly as possible while maintaining form....go ahead, try it!

10 pushups (I don't care if you do them on your knees).
1 body weight squat with hands behind your head (the arrest position),

9 pushups
2 body weight squats

8 pushups
3 body weight squats

and so on until you are doing 1 pushup and 10 body weight squats. You will have done a total of 55 pushups and squats. Ideally it is meant to be done without rest and should only take a few minutes. However, rest when you need to but for as little as possible to move to the next set. If you can't get to ten then start at a lower number. Each time you do it aim for doing better than the last. If you find this too easy then change from squats to burpees (squat thrusts) or start with a higher number of pushups. This will get your heart pumping and hopefully re-energize your day.

This isn't meant to replace normal workouts but rather just get you moving. There is a 30 minute/day walk challenge in our group that I wish I could do but I can't fit into my work schedule but I can close my office door for 5 minutes and do this. C'mon people pick a challenge!

Good luck!

-Bill

Replies

• jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can't close my office door - I'm in a cube, but I do keep a resistance band tied to a pole. I use it while I'm reading emails or thru PowerPoint decks.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    That's a good one! I will try that tomorrow! Thanks!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sitting at a computer makes my eyes hurt nevermind my butt and legs too!

Thankfully I'm also on my feet on certain days. I am a buyer for a company so I do look at the computer far too often, but I'm also in control of inventory and receiving which sometimes means heavy boxes. I was curious after starting MFP so I weighed the battery boxes....32 lbs each. I had to load and unload 30 boxes. Then I had to do wire and those are 22 lbs each and I have about 22 boxes, same thing load and unload.

Sometimes it's kind of fun. I just started logging my receiving inspection into MFP so I can get some credit for those calories burned! :)

If someone walked in my office and saw me doing push ups, they'd think I was whacked! LOL. I wish people didn't barge in my office when the door is closed Punks!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I can lock my door and if I don't the floor is really loud so no one is sneaking up on me.

I have done this each of the last few days and it only takes about 5 minutes.

I also thought that if you can't do pushup on the floor then do them standing against a wall.

Jessica, great workout moving all that stuff...that is over 1400lbs!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Had an office by myself two jobs ago, but currently, just a single wall they call a "cube".

This is gonna look funny when I drop and do 55, but I'm game.

Good idea, just to get the blood flowing - might also prevent charlie horses (besides the drinking of water).

k
  • TrekCat
    TrekCat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So how many calories does this activity burn?
  • vaderandbill
    Options

I haven't worn my HRM to do it since it is done in my office but I will do it this weekend and get back to you.

I'm sure it won't be a ton (it only takes 5 minutes) but 5 days/week is almost 1/2 hour extra workout time.

I don't even log it as I use it as a little cushion for my calorie intake.
  • vaderandbill
    Options

I am 41, 5'10" and 190ish....it took me just over six minutes to complete this and I burned 87 calories.

It is amazing how shaky your body can get in 6 minutes!!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    So, apparently you are supposed to rest up to 30 seconds after each round of pushups/squats. Sorry for not having complete info when I posted this.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I always sneak in a workout - calisthenics!
    Love it!
  • Deuxtrouble
    Options
    I walk at work. I usually where dresses so dropping down and doing push ups is going to cause eyebrows to raise LOL.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I walk at work. I usually where dresses so dropping down and doing push ups is going to cause eyebrows to raise LOL.

True, but think of the smiles people would have!!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely try doing these at some point soon.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thinking of bringing a 5 lbs kettle ball to my office...