Ladies-starting weights

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
What weight did/are you starting at (started) for deadlifts and squats? What are your current weights and how long did it take you to get there?
My deadlift is 80 though I'm sure I can do 90 for a few reps.
Squat is at 80.
I just started 2-3 weeks ago.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Wife doesn't post on the boards but this week she maxed out

Dead-Lift: 135lbs
    Squat: 115lbs

If i remember right she is at:
    body weight: 146lbs
    body fat: 22%
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts: Started on 66-88lbs to train on. Now I could do the same reps on around 176lbs. Max 220lbs. Although I'm stuck training on 132lbs at the moment, just because I've recently realised my form's not perfect and I need it to be, so I'm working on building it up from there again, focusing on perfect form.

Squats: Started on 44-66lbs. Now same reps on 121-132lbs. Max 156lbs

Started them both properly around last May. (Although I had tried them a couple of times before that - I couldn't get form right so nothing was regular)
    I was also "bulking" July-December on a calorie surplus. That helped a lot, and was when my squats & deadlifts improved every week. If I was on a deficit, they probably would've improved slower.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of the other day in the gym. gf was doing sets of deadlifts with 135 lbs for reps. the guy beside her was doing 115. i try not to laugh at anything anyone does at the gym (except juice heads doing quarter squats with 3 plates a side) but it was kind of funny.

she has maxed out at 290 lbs which i think is pretty bad *kitten*.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of the other day in the gym. gf was doing sets of deadlifts with 135 lbs for reps. the guy beside her was doing 115. i try not to laugh at anything anyone does at the gym (except juice heads doing quarter squats with 3 plates a side) but it was kind of funny.

pretty bad *kitten*? that is definitely BAD *kitten*!!
  • bahacca
    Options

WORD! That IS bad *kitten*! I had someone help me again with my deadlift form and he had me doing 1/2 deads instead since I was curving my UPPER back which I hadn't realized. I'll put plates on next week.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Well, I just started with heavy weight training a few ago after doing primarily bodyweight stuff. I started with the bar (45lbs) for squats and 80lbs for deadlifts. I haven't tested my 1 rep max, but my working weight for my last workout was 90lbs on squats and 110lbs on deadlifts. Squats are starting to get pretty tough but I think I have a ways to go yet on deadlifts. We'll see, though.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The earliest I could find I was deadlifting 85 . . . this morning I was deadlifting 135
    The earliest I could find I was squatting 80 . . . this morning I was doing bulgarian split squats at 60, we don't have a squat rack so . . . yeah.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

That is sooo bad *kitten*. My favorite is when I ask some guy if I can work in on the lat pull down machine and have to bump the weight up. I'm working toward pull ups and chin ups, I wide grip pull down 95 and reverse grip pull down 102.5 (I'll bump that on Tuesday). The last guy that I had to work in on came back to the machine, went to adjust it, and promptly left without finishing. Pu . . . well you fill in the rest.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I started squats w/ the bar (45), and deads with the bar +20 (65) in October. My squats are now up to 95 (with good form I was doing 115 but had to back off when I noticed some form issues). Deads are at 135. And that's 3 sets of 8. I only do dumbbell bench since I don't have a spotter. I use 30lbs but have done a few sets with the 35s.
  • dane11235813
    Options

That is sooo bad *kitten*. My favorite is when I ask some guy if I can work in on the lat pull down machine and have to bump the weight up. I'm working toward pull ups and chin ups, I wide grip pull down 95 and reverse grip pull down 102.5 (I'll bump that on Tuesday). The last guy that I had to work in on came back to the machine, went to adjust it, and promptly left without finishing. Pu . . . well you fill in the rest.

nice work!
    pulldowns are another exercise that so many people do wrong. i don't know if people think they look funny sticking their chest out or what, but you see so many people with rounded backs pulling the bar down to their stomachs. wtf!?!?!
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I'm curious about this too! Just joined this group for this reason, I like to know where I am at comparatively:

Start - January 7, 2012 (all are 5 reps)
    Deadlift - 95#
    Military Shoulder Press - 25# (each DB)
    Incline Chest Press - 35# (each DB)
    Squats (no smith, BB) - 105#

This week (all are 5 reps)
    Deadlift - 145#
    Military Shoulder Press - 35# (each DB)
    Incline Chest Press - 50# (each DB)
    Squats - 165#

I also do chin-ups and dips, but I haven't gotten much better since I started which is 22# assist on the chin-ups, and my entire weight body weight on the dips. I think I am going to start adding a 2-3 second pause this week on each of those to see if it helps increase my strength to move up next week.
  • dane11235813
    Options
    I'm curious about this too! Just joined this group for this reason, I like to know where I am at comparatively:

you're pretty freakin' strong! nice lifts!
  • bahacca
    Options
    Great work-you are strong! I need to have someone look at my form on my squats. I'm using just the bar and then up to about 60 lbs, but I'm worried I'm using my back too much.
  • MissMollieD
    Options

you're pretty freakin' strong! nice lifts!

Thanks!! :smile: I was really hoping building more muscle would help me shed 8-10 pounds that I cannot seem to get rid of, but so far no change in weight (up or down) and not a lot of change in measurements. So I was thinking I might not be progressing in my heavy lifting as well as I should be. I'm firmer (denser) all the way around, which is nice, but it would be even better if I could show off all my new muscles without the layer of chub on it. :happy:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Awesome first numbers!

I just started compound lifts last week:

All of these were done x8 in 4 sets with 2 min break inbetween sets

Squat: 90 lbs ATG (*kitten* to grass)
    Romanian Deadlift: 80 lbs
    Standing calf raise: 140 lbs

I have a huge list of other lifts if you want them. Congrats! Good work here! :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago. I started with the empty bar (45 lb) so that I could concentrate on form for a few weeks and worked up from there.

I sort of hurt an old groin injury (when I was 15 and running cross country I inured my groin in a race) doing squats about two weeks ago which slowed down my progress there.

Deadlift: 120
    Squat: 70
  • JennieAL
    Options
    These #'s are for my 3x5 on squat, and 1x5 on deadlift... not 1RM. Actually, I have no idea what my 1RM is for these! LOL.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Starting weights were:

Deadlifts: 65lbs
    Squats: 45lbs (oly bar only)

Now (3 months later):

Deadlifts: 135lbs
    Squats: 75lbs

For some reason I don't seem to be able to squat much, at least not compared to others. I feel like to keep proper form I need to go light. Also, my legs shake. Is this strange?
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Starting weights were:

Deadlifts: 65lbs
    Squats: 45lbs (oly bar only)

Now (3 months later):

Deadlifts: 135lbs
    Squats: 75lbs

For some reason I don't seem to be able to squat much, at least not compared to others. I feel like to keep proper form I need to go light. Also, my legs shake. Is this strange?

I asked Mark Rippetoe (Starting Strength dude) a very similar question two days ago... for a novice this is perfectly "normal." I'm right around the same numbers as yours on deadlifts & squats... he assured me it was fine.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, Ripptoe? That's so cool. Thanks for the reassurance.