under calorie intake & over on protein.

Options
Is that a bad thing?

Replies

• KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be too low on your calories. I'm often high on my protein too. Interested to know what the negatives to too much protein as well.
  • helzbelelliebelle
    Options
    i too am often under calories and always over in vitamin a & c, like you i'd love someone to explain is this good or bad
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I actually googled this question a few days ago and since then I've tried very hard to stay within my limits.

This is copied and pasted from an article that I'll post a link to at the end.

Eating a quantity of protein that is more than 30 per cent of your total daily caloric intake is no good, according to protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans’ Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University. (medicinenet.com) Dr Butterfield explains Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

One of the biggest problems with eating too much protein is that it can create kidney problems. Excessive intakes of protein causes a buildup of ketones which your kidneys then have to work hard to get rid of, often causing dehydration, in the least.

http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/too-much-protein-is-no-good/
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Is that a bad thing?

TOO MUCH protein can also be hard on your liver if your liver functions are down. Follow up with your doctor for annual blood work to make sure everything is functioning as it should. Too many people skip their physicals. I'm having some difficulty figuring out the under calorie thing as well though. Is it better to be under by 80 cals or over by 80? Sometimes it's difficult to hit the nail on the head with 1200 cals.
  • 1ArmyMom1
    Options
    Everything I have read states that it is unhealthy for a woman to eat less than 1200 calories a day... so if you're over that you are ok... you don't want your body going into starvation mode.

I can speak from personal experience on the too much protein issue... I am currently having my kidneys tested due to protein in my urine at my last doctor's appointment for my bloodwork (I go every 3 months). I had started eating following a paleolithic diet back in October... it is a lot of lean protein and veggies, no grains, legumes, or dairy... we believe it was my over-eating of protein that may or may not be causing me a problem.... I just had to collect my urine (sorry if I'm grossing anyone out) for 24 hours so they can test it to see if I've caused any kidney damage or not... keep your fingers crossed for me!! (although my dr seemed pretty confident it was going to turn out to be nothing)
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Armymom ~ how much protein do you think you ate a day on that food plan?
  • 1ArmyMom1
    Options
    I would say on average of 70 - 90 g
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read states that it is unhealthy for a woman to eat less than 1200 calories a day... so if you're over that you are ok... you don't want your body going into starvation mode.

I can speak from personal experience on the too much protein issue... I am currently having my kidneys tested due to protein in my urine at my last doctor's appointment for my bloodwork (I go every 3 months). I had started eating following a paleolithic diet back in October... it is a lot of lean protein and veggies, no grains, legumes, or dairy... we believe it was my over-eating of protein that may or may not be causing me a problem.... I just had to collect my urine (sorry if I'm grossing anyone out) for 24 hours so they can test it to see if I've caused any kidney damage or not... keep your fingers crossed for me!! (although my dr seemed pretty confident it was going to turn out to be nothing)

Fingers crossed and praying for you!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30% of my calories from protein, or 120-150 depending on the calories I'm eating that day. The MFP standards for protein are set really low. If you're lifting, like I am, your muscles need the extra protein to repair. My goal is 1g. for every pound of lean body mass. My understanding of "too much protein" is significantly more than that.
  • gurliegirlalbright
    Options
    @ Suntoday, Considering your awesome weight loss I don't think too much protein is such a bad thing. :happy:
  • gurliegirlalbright
    Options
    Thanks. Im glad you mention all that you did re: collecting urnie and the reasons behind it. Im pretty new at all this but I have learned that there is animal protein and vegg. protein. I learned that our bodies weren't made to digest animal protein. So I would presume veg.protein is less harmful.
  • gurliegirlalbright
    Options
    Is that a bad thing?

TOO MUCH protein can also be hard on your liver if your liver functions are down. Follow up with your doctor for annual blood work to make sure everything is functioning as it should. Too many people skip their physicals. I'm having some difficulty figuring out the under calorie thing as well though. Is it better to be under by 80 cals or over by 80? Sometimes it's difficult to hit the nail on the head with 1200 cals.