One Million Homophobic Moms

Options
mikajoanow
mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/02/10301486-group-wants-jc-penney-to-dump-ellen-degeneres-because-shes-gay

LOS ANGELES -- One Million Moms -- a project of the American Family Association -- is very angry at JC Penney.

No, not because it sells sweater vests (heck, Rick Santorum is a fan of those), but because the Texas-based department store has hired Ellen DeGeneres as a spokeswoman.

And DeGeneres is -- cue the scary music -- gay, and open about it.

"Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families," the million (or so) moms write on their website. "DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there."

One Million Moms is asking people to call JC Penney to complain.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I just blew about $400 at JCPenney this week buying skinny clothes. Very happy about that now.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    dumb. I highly doubt there are a million of them either.
  • mikajoanow
    Options
    I just blew about $400 at JCPenney this week buying skinny clothes. Very happy about that now.

Yay skinny clothes!!

I shop there too, I have not been buying clothes but I bought tons of curtains and bedding etc from them.
  • mikajoanow
    Options

Maybe not, I just checked their facebook page and they only have 39,000 some likes. lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Maybe not, I just checked their facebook page and they only have 39,000 some likes. lol

Good to see only 39,000 hateful people joining the cause. I hope they fail miserably. Ridiculous.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    *shrug* it's all relative.

I don't shop at Target and Best Buy because they've supported initiatives to ban same-sex marriage. it goes both ways I suppose.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Thier facebook page is disgusting
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Idiots. I hope JCP doesn't pull a Lowe's and bow to pressure from a few @sshats.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    lol @ them. All they're doing is making themselves look crazy, to be honest.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    judging by the comments on the facebook page not to many people are down with their bull
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You know what I wonder about? What kind of people care about a celebrity spokesperson? When was the last time any of you were swayed by a celeb to buy a product? What kind of weak minded crap is this?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I don't shop at Target and Best Buy because they've supported initiatives to ban same-sex marriage. it goes both ways I suppose.

Target? I worked there for over 3 years...had many openly gay coworkers, and the company has little magazines for the employees that come out every month, that feature personal stories and all kinds of recognition for employees around the country. They featured stories from openly gay employees, male and female, and had a couple of articles that I remember actually from corporate emphasizing that they're open to all orientations, and will not discriminate. Where have they supported initiatives to ban same-sex marriage??
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Target? I worked there for over 3 years...had many openly gay coworkers, and the company has little magazines for the employees that come out every month, that feature personal stories and all kinds of recognition for employees around the country. They featured stories from openly gay employees, male and female, and had a couple of articles that I remember actually from corporate emphasizing that they're open to all orientations, and will not discriminate. Where have they supported initiatives to ban same-sex marriage??

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/target-best-buy-fire-campaign-contributions-minnesota-candidate/story?id=11270194#.TytDBVxSTPY
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/target-best-buy-fire-campaign-contributions-minnesota-candidate/story?id=11270194#.TytDBVxSTPY

Seems a bit hypocritical to say that their concern is to create jobs and economic growth...yet they blow $150,000 on a freaking political campaign.

As for JCP having Ellen as a spokesperson, I can't even comprehend why people would even make an issue of it. These "American moms" need to seriously pull their heads out of their *kitten*.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My favorite line from that article:
    DeGeneres' daytime talk show has more viewers than the American Family Association has moms. Between Jan. 16 and Jan. 22, "Ellen" averaged 3.38 million viewers -- or 2.38 million more people than the AFA has moms.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The minute I see any group with "family" or "values" in the title I know it's just some homophobic, bigoted, intolerant garbage.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    People still shop at JC Penney's? That's where my Mom shopped in the 50's and 60's.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It was revealed in 2010 that Target--through its owner--supports a lot of republican politicians who have sponsored anti-gay proposals. Supposedly, the guy apologized and affirmed the company's commitment to equal rights, but I don't know that the donations ever stopped.

Here's one story I found that after a really quick google:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/12/the-anti-gay-donations-that-target-apologized-for-they-never-stopped
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It would be unfair to stereotype all conservatives, but there is definitely a subset of conservatives that just has a visceral need to hate. It seems to define their entire weltanschauung.

Some are just single haters, others need the whole spectrum--gays, liberals, black people, brown people, etc.

It's much more difficult to actively and openly express racial hate these days(Ron Paul's newsletters notwithstanding), so they have switched to what is temporarily a safer target--gays. Most of these people are neurotic about sex as well, so with gays they get to combine their whacked out fear of sex with their whacked out view of religion--it's a veritable orgy of hate and crazy.

Let's face it--what's the point of being all "saved" and "christian-y" if you can't hate other people and condemn them to hell?

(And let me be clear--I think these people represent a minority even among christians these days, so I am not painting all christians with the same brush).

I could be wrong, because recently crazy has shown few restrictions, but I think good ol' capitalism is the biggest ally here. Gays may be an abomination, but there are lots of them and they seem to have a lot of disposable income. Can't say the same for a lot of "cracker christians". Most corporations have learned that it's better for their bottom lines to tell the religious extremists to take a hike and to "embrace the gay".

It would be best if we could all do the right thing just because it's the right thing, but, hey, if "money talks and bigotry walks", I'll take it for now.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I want to troll the one million moms FB page soooo bad.