anyome seeking professional help

Options
toffee322
toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
i've been seeing a psychologist for my eating problem.. 2 sessions so far. and it's not really going anywhere yet.. the process is very slow and it's very expensive, even i get partly covered from my extended health care plan...i dont know how helpful is it going to be.. should i quit???.. next session will be next week and she told me to print out my food log so she can look at it to make sure i'm eating correctly and enough.. that will be one session, then if the food is ok, she will target at emotional problems..

any comments or suggestions for me please.. from those who has/had experience. any input is helpful thanks a lot!!!!

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a professional for my disordered eating and/or weight obsession but my husband has told me I should. :huh:

I, like you, think it's slow and expensive but I am probably just avoiding my issues and using those things as excuses. I have seen therapists in the past and don't feel like I benefitted from them much so that makes me not want to try again.

Please don't let me discourage you - I have heard that the best way to beat eating disorders is with professional help. We need to get to the root of what is causing us to eat so I would think professional help would be a really good way to do that. I should take my own advice!

Please keep us posted on how it's going!
  • toffee322
    Options
    I'm not seeing a professional for my disordered eating and/or weight obsession but my husband has told me I should. :huh:

I, like you, think it's slow and expensive but I am probably just avoiding my issues and using those things as excuses. I have seen therapists in the past and don't feel like I benefitted from them much so that makes me not want to try again.

Please don't let me discourage you - I have heard that the best way to beat eating disorders is with professional help. We need to get to the root of what is causing us to eat so I would think professional help would be a really good way to do that. I should take my own advice!

Please keep us posted on how it's going!

thanks! i'm gonna go one more this week and see what happens.. :)
  • MoglieUK
    Options
    Hi
    I've just finished 7 months of weekly counselling, which I paid for privately!
    We didn't really focus on the eating thing, but my childhood, difficult relationship with my parents, grief, anxiety etc.
    I'm feeling 100% better since the counselling, but my binge eating is still not sorted. I'm not sure how much counsellors can help with BED, I'm going to try and do this on my own.
    Good luck to you.
    Moglie
  • toffee322
    Options
    Hi
    I've just finished 7 months of weekly counselling, which I paid for privately!
    We didn't really focus on the eating thing, but my childhood, difficult relationship with my parents, grief, anxiety etc.
    I'm feeling 100% better since the counselling, but my binge eating is still not sorted. I'm not sure how much counsellors can help with BED, I'm going to try and do this on my own.
    Good luck to you.
    Moglie

glad to hear that you are feeling better.. yes in my first two sessions, we just talked about my background.. family etc.. guess usually it's depression or other kinds of emotions that lead to overeating.. i'm also trying hard on my own.. thanks for sharing!! good luck!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me!

I am on the schedule for tonight in fact! I took some group behavior therapy classes last summer, but now I'm meeting w/ the Psychologist one on one. Last week was my first session and it was great! I must admit that I am no stranger to the world of therapy though (I've been in and out of therapy since age 8 and on meds since age 15) - hence I knew exactly what to expect. I actually came prepared with a list of topics I wanted to discuss also. Plus it helped that she already knew me so we didn't have to take time to do an introduction. I know I will benefit much more from the one on one personalized sessions and I look forward to continuing them as long as my finances will allow me to.

I have also been working VERY HARD on my recovery for the past 2 years. I started with a nutrition coach and personal training. They helped tremendously and steered me in the right direction. However, I now know it is SO much more mental than physical or nutritional for me, so the behavior therapy is definitely what I need to get better.

I hope you stay strong and hang in there. Therapy does help and it is worth the cost IMO. :flowerforyou:
  • jenfurmcmonkey
    jenfurmcmonkey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on the waiting list for treatment with the eating disorder service.
    I had an assessment appointment last week. It's strange. They want to look at past issues and talk about why I have such low self worth and anxiety. They didnt recommend what I could do to stop my erratic eating which is what I want more than anything.
    I suppose treating the underlying issue is the way forward in the long term, but short term I'd just want to stop.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was in both outpatient and inpatient treatment for eating disorders (which I have suffered from on and off ...an, bn to bed...for 15 years now). At one point I was even in a cognitive behavioural group for binge eating. It really depends on where you are at in terms of your readiness to change. I was given all the tools I needed to do it but never accepted them because I was too afraid to commit to a long term change. I'd binge...then restrict to compensate...which led to more binging. When I finally accepted "normalized eating" everything changed! It was not easy but I have been binge free for about 4 months. 3 minor lapses involving pudding cups and sweet potato ;) but were not so significant to cause me to relapse. On the treatment team where I went there was a nurse, psychologist, psychiatrist and dietition (nutirtionist) all specializing in eating disorders. To compliment your treatment I would highly recommend seeing someone for diet who has dealt with people with similar issues. Stick exactly to the plan you create together and it will be a very beneficial first start on the road to recovery. Also, you might find it helpful to receive a prescription for an SSRI - in particular Prozac - which has been shown in research to aid in the recovery from binge eating and bulimia.
  • arielaliza
    arielaliza Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have just heard of BED for the first time.... I don't have depression, but probably have some anxiety related to food and definitely suffer from binge eating. Have you heard that prozac helps even when not conflicted with depression? Thank you!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It took me YEARS to seek out a professional. I was dealing with the depression and the anxiety piece via meds but I was unwilling to admit to anyone about the binge eating part. I did see a therapist a couple of years ago and attempted to broach the subject but she was a terrible fit for me. I literally left her office feeling worse than when I went in. I stuck it out for about 4 appointments with her and every time I felt judged, stupid and ashamed of the things that were “wrong” with me. :ohwell:

It took 2 more years to try again . . . When I finally did, I found the Psychologist I’m currently seeing on a weekly basis. It’s taken an incredible leap of faith to divulge, face to face, a lot of what I’ve kept bottled up for so long. I haven’t once felt judged with this guy though. We talk about the binge eating specifically but there’s more to it than that. It’s hard to describe but we talk about what, literally, is going on in my head (ie. During a binge, before, after or when I’ve been binge free for days or even weeks at a time and what THAT feels like). We talk about all the other “stuff” too, body image, self-hatred, the things that make me anxious and self-conscious etc. etc. etc. Really he lets me lead the “discussion” every week. He asks me what I need to work through that day even if it’s exactly the same discussion we had the week before (cause sometimes I need that!). On a good week I feel like I’m wasting his time, like “I’m in a good place right now, maybe I don’t need this therapy thing after all” but on a bad week or when I feel like I’ve completely lost control he’s been able to provide exactly the sort of perspective I needed and it’s a huge relief to know that's available to me. It’s a little difficult to describe . . . One thing though has always been very clear. He can’t fix me. I need to “fix” myself but he has the tools to help me do that for myself. It’s a process, definitely a process and I have a long way to go. Right now I feel like the backslides are more prominent than the progress but there IS progress and I’m cautiously optimistic that I CAN beat this thing. Cautiously optimistic is a better state than I’ve been in a very long time!

CBT may not be for everyone and I genuinely feel that you have to find the right fit in a therapist for you but that’s my experience thus far for whatever it’s worth. :smile:
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I too have gotten help from a therapist, expensive yes but I was able to do it through the college I go to for a less amount. I talked, she listened and that was about it. I have binged for 32 years, told my husband about 3-4 weeks ago. I am on medication for depression, and have been for years. I like encouraging people to start talking about it, group therapy, therapists, friends, anybody that will lend an ear and not judge. I have read several different books about it, and plan to go to Overeaters Anonymous one of these days. I do not think the therapist helped me in anyway, but each person responds to different treatments differently. I have to accept me as I am and stop feeling ashamed of my bingeing, easy to say hard to do. I tell my husband now when I have gotten out of control, he has talked me through binges, he always tells me that "I have to give myself permission to eat something instead of calling it a binge, or cheating." This coming from a recovering alcoholic holds a lot of ground, these are both so similar, the addiction is just different! Do what works for you, one thing that works for one person may not work for another. 32 years was a long time for me to keep a secret, the relief that I could say I have an eating disorder has changed my way of thinking, yes I have still had binges, but I give myself permission to have them. I hate eating when I am not hungry, gaining weight, craving food in the cupboard or where my next fix will take place, and looking in the mirror, I thought everyone did. You are not alone, and I believe you need to try something for yourself. There is a GREAT group support here from others who have been in your shoes so give yourself permission to check into therapies, group talk, Overeaters Anonymous, but do what is right for you. When you do find what works for you, share with others your experience, who knows your encouragement may change a life. Good luck and take care, feel free to add me!! There are also other messages on here similar to this group called "Calling all bingers" and "Overeaters Anonymous" there is some good suggestions on those as well!!! :flowerforyou: