anyone seeking professional help??

Options
toffee322
toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
i've been seeing a psychologist for my eating problem.. 2 sessions so far. and it's not really going anywhere yet.. the process is very slow and it's very expensive, even i get partly covered from my extended health care plan...i dont know how helpful is it going to be.. should i quit???.. next session will be next week and she told me to print out my food log so she can look at it to make sure i'm eating correctly and enough.. that will be one session, then if the food is ok, she will target at emotional problems..

any comments or suggestions for me please.. from those who has/had experience. any input is helpful thanks a lot!!!!

Replies

• blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a nutritionist about a month and a half ago...so far it hasn't does much for me, although I've been seeing therapists for at least a couple of years, and they have helped me recover from anorexia, and we're now working on my binge eating and depression. I've found that most of my problems with food have been mental and emotional...so I found a psychologist to be very helpful.
  • Reignfyre
    Reignfyre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I understand a psychologists being so expensive. Mental health care is not taken seriously in our society or honored (although no health care is right now). I have BED (binge eating disorder), bulimia and body dysmorphic disorder and have had them over 30 years now (although I started out anorexic). I have tried psychological counseling at various points in my life although I was treated mostly for depression (a result of eating disorders) and OCD (really the eating disorder). It is sad but few physicians understand eating disorders and few psychologists or social workers do either. The truth is eating disorders are a field few go into because it is considered difficult to treat or change. It isn't like depression which is relatively easy to treat (lots of manualized efficacious proven treatments including chemotherapy). I am studying psychology now with the intention of going into the eating disorder field. If you can afford it I would definitely continue treatment if this person has experience in the eating disorder field or is willing to research it (come from an educated perspective). I have found membership with OA (Overeaters Anonymous) helpful. I could do without the 12 step garbage but it is the fellowship and understanding I get from its members that is helpful. I would definitely recommend some group therapy (OA is free but be careful of the dogma and people who are not recovered mentally and emotionally and push diet plans and stuff...a therapist can be good with this) or SMART recovery groups if they are available in your area. There is a great book workbook called "Sex, Drugs, Gambling, & Chocolate : A Workbook for Overcoming Addictions" by Dr. Thomas Horvath which uses SMART recovery techniques. One of the latest treatments for eating disorders combines cognitive behavioral therapy (efficacious treatment) and Buddhist techniques (like being in the present, awareness, meditation, etc) into a therapy called DBT (Dialectel Behavioral Therapy) which has been shown to be particularly efficacious with binge eaters and compulsive overeaters. I would recommend the workbook, "The Binge Eating & Compulsive Overeating Workbook: An integrated Approach to Overcoming Disordered Eating" by Carolyn Coker Ross. If your eating disorder therapist uses either of these approaches or is willing to learn or work with you via these workbooks I would highly recommend continuing to see her if you can afford it, you are worth it. Even if you at some point can't afford it these workbooks are recommended by me and getting involved with some kind of eating disordered support group. You do need to be an advocate for your health and recovering from an eating disordered requires a lot of work (no way around it) but it is worth it). It is usually not a straight path (you will slip and relapse most likely) but every human being is worth the effort. I hope I have helped. Please send me a message if I can be of any help. I have free long distance in the U.S. and will call and talk to you. Don't be afraid to discuss with your therapist what her qualifications are for treating eating disorders and what therapy she intends on using, you should know. Sounds like she has discussed a treatment plan with you (which is a sign of a good therapist!) You will need (with or without therapy) a lot of support so find a support group of some sort. You need a recovery team which may include some or all of these: therapist, support group, nutritionist, trainer, doctor, friends and family. You may need different people at different points in your life. Using some or all is valid. I do not currently go to a therapist (can't afford it) but my last therapist was very helpful (although not specifically trained in the eating disorder field she was willing to learn) and I still rely on things I learned in my year with her. I also attended group therapy she started for awhile. I attend OA (and I keep a lot of my opinions to myself and sometimes don't...there can be some sick thinking there) but I would not be able to survive without my meetings every week and the support I've found there. I also belong to an OA "loop" (online community) and take advantage of free podcasts. I do and have read almost every book and workbook on eating disorders. I will do anything I have to in order to stay alive. I have weighed between 100lbs and 450lbs (at 6' tall) and have almost died several times (my eating disorder is severe). Yet...I am still alive and ready to turn 45. Truly all the damage I've done to my body and it still operates, it is amazing. I am happier and I live healthier emotionally, physically and mentally than ever. I wish I had been more serious about recovery younger but grateful that I will live to an old age to help others. I still occasionally relapse (I am not perfect) but rather than beat myself up I learn from it and move on. This is the essence of life and you can have it too. You are worth every effort, every minute of time, every ounce of your attention working on recovery. I hope you move forward on a recovery path wherever it may take you and wish you well.