I could cry

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
Ok what am I doing wrong I have stuck to around 20 net carbs a day all week I have drunk my water I have just got on the scales and not a single pound off! I know its only been a week but I thought that I should have lost something.

I just wanted to vent.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your food diary so we can take a look? Just cant help you with it locked up.
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, but I also have to limit calories, too. 1100 is my limit, but I've found that it's much easier than before (when it was food-on-the-brain 24-7!) - I'm not nearly as hungry and the cravings for carbs is almost non-existent. (Except for yesterday - I had a small bite of birthday brownie - and I mean a small bite) Friday night, and yesterday I was fantasizing about sandwiches. Lesson learned!
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also have to limit my calories as well as keeping carbs to 20 daily. When my calories were high like eating too much cheese and etc....my weight loss slowed down or stopped! Just don't give up it will work! Good Luck!!!!
  • Sarah6970
    Options
    I have been losing weight but got on scales today and I've put on a couple of pounds and Ive been so good and careful. It's heartbreaking!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would need to see your diary to offer any food related advice but stay patient, keep at it and it will move.

Try to do a few sessions of exercise a week too (even if its just a 20 min walk on your lunch break).

Take your measurements regularly! You may be surprised at the difference.

Being constipated can effect the scale, make sure you are eating leafy veggies/ flax to keep things moving.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Sorry guys forgot that I locked it. I will unlock now (I am just starting on the low carb plan so please throw any advice at me if I am going wrong I am ready to listen and take note)

Thank you all! xx
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary - you may actually want to up your fat intake and lower protein intake. Just a suggestion! :flowerforyou:
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements because my weight actually stays the same for weeks on end. But I lose inches.

So far I've only lost 6lbs, but I have lost a total of 16.75 inches overall. Which makes me a happy Girl!!!!
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    I didn't do an extensive review of your diet, but I did see that you use low-carb lavash bread. Even if your carb count is staying below 20 per day with that included, you should still not be eating it. It is bread. Low carb breads and wraps are for the long-haul of low-carb life... after you've lost the weight. They make your diet a little more varied and tolerable as a lifestyle, but they are not good for the weight-loss phase. I was stumped as to why my weight-loss stopped after the first week, and I realized it was because I'd started to let myself eat sugar-free candy. Even though it wasn't affecting my carb count (or even my calorie count- I worked it in), it was disrupting my weightloss. I stopped the candy, and the weight started coming off again. My suggestion to you would be to stick to the Atkins rules of induction if you want to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Their website has all the info on what foods are acceptable, and more importantly which ones are not.
  • ccfinnan
    Options
    Hi...I limit my calories to 1200 and my carbs to an actual 40g per day (10 per meal plus a snack). I don't do the net carb thing because I don't quite trust it and am afraid I'll get carried away. I don't worry too much about fat grams but of course they can quickly add up the calories. Try to calculate a calorie range that will work with your weekly weight loss goals. You may find that you will lose more than what MFP predicts by following this method. I agree that you should take your measurements weekly because that may be where it shows the most!
  • ccfinnan
    Options
    Women tend to fluctuate through the month so don't give up. Just keep on doing what you're doing and things will go back down plus some:smile:
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Hi All,

Thank you all x

Maybe I should try and do without the low carb wraps for a while and see how it goes. I have also had a few (and I really do mean a few) of the no sugar worthers originals..hmmmm that cant help.

Thank you I do appreciate the help.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I didn't look that closely...but to lose a pound you have to have a calorie deficit of 3500. Did u accomplish that...it's like 500 cals per day for seven days. I know, I know..lots and lots of debate about that...but 3500 cals does equal a pound

Lots of other factors are at play. Don't panic after just a week. It's not magic...you have to be patient and work at it!!!

Good luck
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    I need to disagree with Bevkus- calorie counting is the antithesis of low-carb dieting. It can also be a part of the problem if you are not eating enough. I lost 130 pounds on Atkins- I know what I'm talking about! Watch your carbs, stick to the foundation vegetables, avoid sugar-free products (during the primary weight-loss phase) and diet sodas. Avoid ALL dairy with the exception of up to 4oz. of hard cheeses a day, and heavy cream. I saw yogurt on your food diary, and that is a no-no at this time. Drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fat and protein. I have looked at your food diary, and you are not consistently at or below 20 grams of carbs. You need to be for the first two weeks to get your body really into the correct mode. After that, you can add a little back in, but I wouldn't go above 30 grams until you've lost at least half of what you're trying to lose. But the longer you stay at 20 grams or less, the faster the weight will come off- as long as you're consistent.

To track your net carbs properly on this site, make sure you're entering foods from the database with Net Carbs in the title- and then check to make sure they are really the net carbs. Net carbs should subtract fiber from total carbs, as well as sugar alcohols if there are any listed. I have had to create new foods many times because I could not get an accurate count because many people were saying "net carbs" without putting that value into the "total carbs" box. It can be tedious at times, but if you use the same foods frequently, it's worth it.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    I need to disagree with Bevkus- calorie counting is the antithesis of low-carb dieting. It can also be a part of the problem if you are not eating enough. I lost 130 pounds on Atkins- I know what I'm talking about! Watch your carbs, stick to the foundation vegetables, avoid sugar-free products (during the primary weight-loss phase) and diet sodas. Avoid ALL dairy with the exception of up to 4oz. of hard cheeses a day, and heavy cream. I saw yogurt on your food diary, and that is a no-no at this time. Drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fat and protein. I have looked at your food diary, and you are not consistently at or below 20 grams of carbs. You need to be for the first two weeks to get your body really into the correct mode. After that, you can add a little back in, but I wouldn't go above 30 grams until you've lost at least half of what you're trying to lose. But the longer you stay at 20 grams or less, the faster the weight will come off- as long as you're consistent.

To track your net carbs properly on this site, make sure you're entering foods from the database with Net Carbs in the title- and then check to make sure they are really the net carbs. Net carbs should subtract fiber from total carbs, as well as sugar alcohols if there are any listed. I have had to create new foods many times because I could not get an accurate count because many people were saying "net carbs" without putting that value into the "total carbs" box. It can be tedious at times, but if you use the same foods frequently, it's worth it.

Thank you x

Yes I was eating yogurt at the start but I have stopped that now :-) I have also been eating sugar free jelly is that too a NO-NO? How about the Atkins bars? Avoid as well?

Thank you all for your advise it is appreciated
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options

In a way I have to disagree with myself too LOL.

If I gave the impression that you should be starving yourself and not eating enough I am sorry as I didnt want to portray that. Yes certainly, one of the beautiful things about low-carbing is you dont HAVE to watch your calories....by elliminating carbs, the calories watch themselves in almost all cases. By default, many of us low-carbers end up eating less...feeling very full and satisfied. That is one of the reasons this works...we dont crave food, we dont over eat....and its all quite "easy".

Yes, we could get into a real debate as to "why" low carbing works....but lets not OK? I hate the anit-low carb sentiment on MFP to begin with. I dont want our group to be arguing amongst ourselves. We all know it works.

I lost 125 pounds low carb too...so I know what I am talking about. I got cocky as I was fit as a fiddle and a long distance runner..starting eating carbs again and got lazy...now I am back where I started.

It works...keep at it...I know I will

We can do this!!
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    For the sugar free jelly- I looked it up online (what was in your diary), because I thought it was like jelly/jam- but the kind you're eating is apparently gelatin, correct? If so, that is allowed. I am a sugar-free Jell-o fan myself :smile: . For Atkins bars, read the label on the back- they have a little graphic that tells you which phase the bar is usable in. For the first couple of weeks, stick to the bars that say "All Phases".

Bevkus- Ugh, it sucks so bad to have to do it all over again doesn't it? It's like, how did I forget how great I felt when I was eating low carb? Good luck on round 2!
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Bevkus, I didnt take your first post as that at all Hun x I really apprecaite all the help and wisdom that I can get and I agree I like this little safe haven without being judged by the masses xx Good luck and I know that you will do it again x
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    For the sugar free jelly- I looked it up online (what was in your diary), because I thought it was like jelly/jam- but the kind you're eating is apparently gelatin, correct? If so, that is allowed. I am a sugar-free Jell-o fan myself :smile: . For Atkins bars, read the label on the back- they have a little graphic that tells you which phase the bar is usable in. For the first couple of weeks, stick to the bars that say "All Phases".

Bevkus- Ugh, it sucks so bad to have to do it all over again doesn't it? It's like, how did I forget how great I felt when I was eating low carb? Good luck on round 2!

Thanks Hun, yes Jelly is Gelatin :-) Yes the Atkind bars say "All phases" I believe. How can I get this weight off? :-(
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm no expert, but I'll throw in my experience too...
    I started the south beach diet last sunday, so it's been 6 days. I've lost 5 pounds. I don't actually stick to it 100% but am borrowing an idea from another diet (the metabolism miracle) where you are allowed 5g of sugar every 5 hours.
    I had samosas on tueday night, a subways breakfast on wednesday, today I had timmies chicken salad wraps. (ok i don't know if they will avenge themselves tomorrow.) i have a small sweet treat (3-5g sugar content) 1-3 times a day. I am at around 1500-1700 calories a day, active lifestyle though. And I find it hard to eat enough calories on the days i eat at home. So i add nuts and low fat cheese.
    So, i guess you'd call me a bad dieter :p but it's working for me apparently. It took 3-4 days for the new eating habit to take effect. But then I started losing weight.

I'm not sure what my point is, but i'd suggest reading the south beach diet book - it has some great advice on eating habits. (for example, a small spoon of fibre supplement eaten before a meal makes me feel full way longer. Keeping the sugar per meal down, has stopped my sweet cravings (after the initial 3 days).

I'm still learning, but i dont really want to lose weight any faster than i am just now... scary if i think about it actually...

anyways, good luck