How much have I doomed myself?

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
I have 8 weeks before I have to start a training program for a 1/2 marathon. I've been doing heavy lifting Tues/Thurs and HIIT Wednesdays(these are the only 3 guaranteed days at the gym i have, so)
I'm currently working on a 1 lb/week deficit. Am I going about this all wrong? Should I actually be bulking to try to gain muscle now so when my running kicks in I have more muscle? Is 8 weeks even enough to make a big enough gain to make a difference(from what I have read it is not)?
I just don't want to be working my butt off lifting to start training for the running and wind up weaker than when I started. If I continue lifting 2x a week, will I be able to at least maintain strength and muscle? I really enjoy strength training far more than running and I will change my schedule after the race to do FAR more weight training than running, but I'm committed to the race both financially and mentally(it is on my bucket list and I'm going with friends AND I've already paid, so...)
SO-what training would you follow in the next 8 weeks or so prior to training for a 1/2 marathon. ANd the 1/2 training program I am doing is Jeff Galloway and is 3x a week if that helps. I KNOW that I cannot have my cake and eat it too-I just want to make sure I'm not undoing all of my progress with the weight lifting from the running. Once the running is over, I'll be balls to the wall with the weight training.Thank you!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would just reduce the weights down to once a week. Doing a full body workout & eating maintenance calories should ensure that you don't lose strength. Just because you do some running doesn't mean you will lose you're muscles, just need to make sure you eat enough.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chris! I'm seeing a bunch of friends running and losing a bunch of weight right off the bat(they are set to 2 lb losses which I simply cannot do. I've tried and suffered many ill effects from the low calorie intake, so....), so I'm getting discouraged. I just keep reminding myself that they will be skinny fat at year end whereas I'll have a rockin strong bod!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2lb loss per week is only really suitable for pretty overweight people IMO. Target weight loss should decrease as you become leaner.

As they say, it's a marathon not a sprint. (no pun intended :tongue)

Create your calorie deficit through diet & exercise, get adequate protein & fats & do regular resitance training & everything will fall into place :smile:
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im training for a marathon and strength training as we speak. I just make sure i eat A LOT on the weekends to compensate for the LSR, Im not making major strength gains, but im not making loses either. Its a great opportunity to do some form work
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have 8 weeks before I have to start a training program for a 1/2 marathon. I've been doing heavy lifting Tues/Thurs and HIIT Wednesdays(these are the only 3 guaranteed days at the gym i have, so)
    I'm currently working on a 1 lb/week deficit. Am I going about this all wrong? Should I actually be bulking to try to gain muscle now so when my running kicks in I have more muscle? Is 8 weeks even enough to make a big enough gain to make a difference(from what I have read it is not)?
    I just don't want to be working my butt off lifting to start training for the running and wind up weaker than when I started. If I continue lifting 2x a week, will I be able to at least maintain strength and muscle? I really enjoy strength training far more than running and I will change my schedule after the race to do FAR more weight training than running, but I'm committed to the race both financially and mentally(it is on my bucket list and I'm going with friends AND I've already paid, so...)
    SO-what training would you follow in the next 8 weeks or so prior to training for a 1/2 marathon. ANd the 1/2 training program I am doing is Jeff Galloway and is 3x a week if that helps. I KNOW that I cannot have my cake and eat it too-I just want to make sure I'm not undoing all of my progress with the weight lifting from the running. Once the running is over, I'll be balls to the wall with the weight training.Thank you!

Try focus your strength training on running motions. For example, get some light (but not too light) dumbbells and do one minute sets of your arms swinging as if you were running. My traps and shoulders used to get fatigued at about the 4km mark when running so I did this workout for a week straight and now problem solved. Also, Focus on your back, lots of people forget and it creates a muscle imbalance that does not help running form.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Keep strength training, but focus your lifting more toward your running (for now). get your legs strong, squats, also natural GHR's will do wonders to your hamstring/glute strength, Anti-rotations on a cable machine can help strengthen the core muscles you use in running.