MFP and my misconception

Options
I was surprised, by how many people view or use this app, for weight loss. When I joined I had an assumption that people ate too lose weight and as well for your over all health. and exercised, For me my mentality has been to gravitate towards clean eating ie, no garbage food like fast food and junk food chips cola, or boxed or frozen processed food. I understand that there are time that you will be out and have to make wise choices, with what your given. But I have found many people eat by calories in calories out, on junk food or fast food......

Does your eating lifestyle reflect, how you were raised? or where you live? I was raised here in the Pacific NW and we have a lot of whole foods and juicing bars and gluten free .....things on the menu, We always ate out of the garden and or from the farmers market.

Replies

• NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What I find alarming is a 20 y/o who is 5'2" and 110 lbs and wants to lose 5 lbs. I've seen similar new stories every week and it's scary. The number of girls with distorted visions of their body and with full blown eating disorders is astounding.

I came here because I had an interest in losing weight through healthier eating. There is no dieting in my world, because being on a diet (to me) implies that at some point I plan to stop being on a diet. I got to be super obese because I have horrible eating habits, not that I necessarily always ate bad food, because there are some fabulous healthy meals, but portion control, fat content, sugar content, sodium content, all definitely played a huge role. There's also the fact that I was never this big before I quit smoking.

I use the site to learn how to eat better, how much is too much, and increase my physical activity. I don't ever expect to run marathons, like some people do, but I would like to be able to run without it killing my hips and knees. So far I've learned alot about nutrition and I can't wait to learn more.

I guess I would have to say my eating does reflect how I was raised, blended with many choices of my own. No juicing bars or gluten free menus where I live, but I do raid my parent's garden every summer.
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    I have always made vegetables and whole grains a part of my life, but sometimes the cost was prohibitive. Now that I have diabetes, the best choices for me are NO grains because my pancreas cannot tolerate them without insulin shots. I prefer to stay off the shots for as long as I can. I joined MFP to keep an accurate diary of what goes in without lugging a notebook around.
    In my opinion, people eat what they were raised to eat until they learn and change. For some people, the idea of weight loss is so daunting, they must start with simply counting calories. At least they are trying! Even small steps are good steps!
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    I am a volume eater so when I limit my calories, I go searching for lower calorie foods so I can eat more. This leads me to produce, lean meats... meaning straying away from sweets and junk food/fast food. I eat a lot of veggies, salad, fruits.

Mom cooked relatively healthy I suppose. We ate what we could afford.

I am now gluten free so my choices usually take work. So that leaves cookies, pretzels, breads out since I don't want to put the work into making it gluten free lol.

Like Teena De I am surprised how many people *struggle* with weight and all they want to loose is vanity weight. Not to mention they are thin to begin with. I have lost a lot of weight in my day, serious weight. 80lbs weight. I have never know what it was like to ONLY need to loose 5lbs.

Oh I am here because I am weak and struggle with sugar cravings. I hate exercise, I don't like water... I need help and I can't do it anymore by myself.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was raised fairly healthy...
    We didn't have alot of money growing up so we never had junk food in the house. I am Italian so we ate lots of veggies and since we lived on a fruit farm,tons of fruit. I can honeslty remember going to a fast food place twice as a kid...my grandparents NEVER ate at those places. I feel sorry for kids who have to eat that crap regularly.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for me now at this time in my life, is strickly for better health and hopefully a longer life. The days of "being skinny and firm" are long gone for me. I have body parts that will never firm up, too much yoyo dieting in my life, thus,. lots of loose skin, but I can live with that, I just want to live.