Who's at goal?

Options
MacMadame
MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
I'm just curious how many of us are past the losing phase and learning how to live the rest of our lives?

I've been at goal for not quite 3 years now and in some ways I feel very normal and often forget I had WLS but in other ways I'm still learning about my body and how to eat all the time.

Anyone else out there in the maintenance phase?

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am. I have been on maintenance for over a year. I never forget I've had WLS but I am eating a larger variety of items. I'm also eating healthier overall and working out harder now than I did a couple years ago.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I am in and out of maintenance....10 years post op.

I recently experienced a 20 pound regain because I wanted to "forget" I had WLS and eat like a normal person; except I didn't, unless normal people eat 1/2 bag of hershey's kisses per day!!

I am now back to eating what I KNOW works in maintenance: a well rounded diet which is SLIGHTLY heavy on the protein. I am much more structured during the week, which allows me to be more relaxed and work in some indulgences on the weekends. Overall, this plan has worked for me for 10 years....when I follow it!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel a bit alien because I am not constantly struggling to lose 10-20 pounds like a lot of my friends. I like that I'm not at war with food and my body any more and I feel sad that they still are.

For example, I posted about a family problem on a site I'm on and I know people on that site have some of the same issues as my son but I got almost no response. I realized later that 90% of the posters on that site would have added to what I wrote something about "but I made mostly healthy choices and I'm determined that this stress won't make me regain" or they would have beaten themselves up about how they had half a snickers bar in the ER (which I did) and then everyone would have responded with encouragement and advice about the eating, but maybe also about the problem too.

But it never occurred to me to do that. I didn't go over my calorie allotment for the day and I even met my protein goals for the day. The food part was a complete non-issue to me.

Which is not to day I haven't had my issues. I think I posted here about when I crashed my bike and hit my head and how I kept eating like I was training while going from 10 hours of training a day to 0 and gained 5 pounds just like that <snaps fingers>. So I'm not perfect with my eating. But I also don't obsess over it. My surgery has allowed me to be in control. For which I am eternally grateful.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal. I'm 3.5 years out from RNY. 5'7" tall and 140 pounds. My BMI is 22. I work hard to stay here and plan to continue doing so. Life is good!!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My surgery has allowed me to be in control. For which I am eternally grateful.

AMEN!