S T R E T C H more! (it will help)

Options
dancerman
dancerman Posts: 46 Member
Howdy!

just wanted to share that as a professional dancer (retired), choreographer,
and certified yoga teacher I am getting quite a bit out of this but kicking
(we are not SUPPOSED to like her - right?)
:)

One serious issue i have though is the so called cool down period -

It has been clinically proven over and over that you need to hold a stretch (no bouncing!)
for at least 45 sec to get anything out of it.
I would seriously recommend that you learn the stretches she's showing and then do them for 45 sec each -
you will be much less sore and much more limber particularly after a couple of days

Jillian says she's not very flexible -
not surprising given the strength/aerobic work out with no appropriate stretch afterwords
clearly she is trying to get this thing done in a specific (and short) time window
but once you have talked yer self into getting going with the
'it's only 20 minutes' line (every night I tell my self this)
give your self the extra 'reward' of an appropriate stretch

building strength and flexibility simultaneously is crucial to having a body that works well...

just my $0.02
best to ya

Replies

• doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight! I will try that tonight after my level 1 day 3 workout.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I also stretch longer. And again later in the day.

I also read somewhere else that 30 min if stretching a day can reduce risk of heart attack. Don't know if it is true or not.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That's great advice, I was holding the strecthes for longer than they were on the DVD and adding some others in, because it just didn't seem like long enough. I'll hold the stretches for 45 secs now - thanks!
  • jencs519
    Options
    I also do the stretches longer, it isn't nearly long enough of a cool down. I am definitely more flexible than I was 8 days ago.