Carb Bullying

Options
AnyaArson
AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
I play roller derby and am currently trying a "roller derby work out challenge". It has its forums here and on fb, and whenever my nutrition comes up, I constantly get heckled because OMGYOUNEEDCARBS!!!!!!1!1!ONE! How do you put up with people bullying you about needing carbs and eating too much fat? Does anybody have a good explanation/retort?

Replies

• dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There's a thread in the Low Carber Daily Forum group about low carb hostility on MFP. It's mostly moaning rather than helpful advice or suggested retorts, though! Fighting ignorance on the internet is tilting at windmills. Let it sail on past you, and then when you've achieved your exercise aim, shout from the rooftops that you did it on a ketogenic diet. The most you can hope for is that someone thinks twice before they post next time.

In real life most people have been very supportive of my diet, and several have started low carbing themselves. I even got my mum to give up margarine and go back to butter! People IRL are more important than people online. Ignore them.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I play roller derby and am currently trying a "roller derby work out challenge". It has its forums here and on fb, and whenever my nutrition comes up, I constantly get heckled because OMGYOUNEEDCARBS!!!!!!1!1!ONE! How do you put up with people bullying you about needing carbs and eating too much fat? Does anybody have a good explanation/retort?

i used to low carb, but don't anymore. No specific reason.

I don't need to justify my diet decisions to anyone. Just sayin...
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ask them why you need carbs? Most people have no clue about nutrition and how the body processes what we eat. Plus I am sure you do eat carbs. Explain to them how you get carbs in the form of veggies. How can anyone argue that? Are they going to say that you should eat sweets and stuff yourself with white flour? I doubt it. Best retort = weight loss! :)
  • AnyaArson
    Options
    Lol, I wish it was only on the internet. While they are the bulk of it, I do get a lot of "bullying" face to face, even if I have lost 35 lbs in 7 months (which vanity wasn't my main goal, but has helped with my over all "be fit" goal). One close friend went on a fit (through IM) that if I follow fad diets I'm going to kill myself. Others have been people straight out laughing at my face and telling me I'm hurting myself in one way or another. Then again, I also get picked on for a lot of "alternative" things I decide to do.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of great books like "Why We Get Fat" & "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" with sited studies that explain the benefits of the diet. Problem is that the naysayers that bug you about it, aren't likely to read them. If you haven't already I suggest that you read both books. If you feel pressured to explain yourself ... these two books will give you TONS of information about the safety and effectiveness of the diet. Good luck!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Tell them you will eat whatever you want and they should mind their own business. ( thanks for the advice all the same) It's not hurting them, it's not like your a drug addict or something. Do you think they are jealous of your success?
    Just tell them it works for you. I bet in time with continued success some will convert....it happened at my workplace!
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1 thing I thought about when people say you need lots of carbs like breads and stuff.
    they do not occur in nature. where to you pick or hunt a bread loaf?
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My roommate just LOVES to call my diet "No Carb". Whenever I talk about it, she always says "I just could never eat all that meat and cheese" and I always have to correct her that, like all things in life, it is in moderation and we have to eat a lot of veggies.

It's interesting now seeing her trying a modified carb diet (17 Day Diet) and she's learning some of the benefits, and also downfalls of falling off the wagon hard on the weekends. She's warming up to all of the good things I've said about low carb.

It's just the truth, people buy into Weight Watchers and other low fat diets because it's the norm. It's "wrong" to not be in the pack. No matter how many times I would correct her, try to explain it to her, it fell on deaf ears. It's unlikely someone's opinion is going to change unless they try it and see themselves.
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    i typicaly respond with "umm dont you have a bagel to go eat?" but thats just me, some say i lack couth....so be it
  • AnyaArson
    Options
    i typicaly respond with "umm dont you have a bagel to go eat?" but thats just me, some say i lack couth....so be it

MFP needs "like" buttons. Some say I have the tact of an elephant wearing boxing gloves, but every once in a while I feel a very confusing urge to be proper and crap.
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been asked that question one time only; I have had the great fortune to be surrounded by people who mind their own business. In that case I replied that it's not all bacon; I get my carbs from vegetables which are definitely not carb-free and also have a bunch of fiber to boot.