Do we eat extra exercise calories?

I have been, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? I want to burn extra calories, not re-eat them. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• I think when you put in your fitness goal it'll give you the amount of calories you can eat if you want to lose weight and do nothing. When you work out, you earn back calories toward food because you burned off more than you would have if had were just sitting there doing nothing. I eat them because if I don't I'd be one cranky lady cause I'm always STARVING after a workout lol.
  • fjsutton
    fjsutton Posts: 60 Member
    YES! Eat all your exercise calories. This is subject to the intensity of your workout (if you burn 1,000 calories late in the day you may have a hard time eating all that back, but still yes! check out : links in mfp you want to read again. Go to message boards, general diet and exercise, then links in mfp you want to read again and again. Here you have just tons and tons of info on BMR, BMI, caloric intake, what it does to your body, what your body thinks about calories.. just a plethara of info. But the real long and short of it is. MFP calculates your daily calories without including exercise and you can loose weight with just diet alone. But once you enter exercise performed it recalsutales what you need to maintain optimal body function and still loose weight. The key is that your muscles need fuel to perform and to repair. Eating back your exercise calories allows your muscles to get the fuel it needs and also keeps starvation mode at bay. Your Net calories is the most important number of every day. watch this closely. If you aren 't eating back your exercise calories you are forcing your body to run on that net calorie number. Too far below your BMR and you are forcing your body to store fat instead of burning it. Sorry if this came on too strong.